2014 Dodge Thoughts

Loonietoon

As low as 105.9 here in Haldimand county.

As far as gas mileage for my 011' Silverado with the 327ci, I know I should have got the 350 but they didn't have one, all I know is that if I am towing my 19 foot aluminum I can expect the fuel consumption to more than double when I am not towing the boat and stuff. Just got back from a trip yesterday. I can get there and back on a quarter tank not towing, I used 3/4's of a tank towing this week. I don't drive hard, anymore.

You guys up there usually pay more than we do here in Yellowknife.

Our current price is $1.139L

There is no reason for it either.

Yeah it's bad in NW Ontario. I still remember it being around 90 cents in fort Frances and it was around $2 in ear falls (where I worked at the time)

Driving 24,000 KM per year that would be around $12,166.00 of Tim coffee buying 2 cups a day, not factoring in inflation. They say a person that buys some coffee and snacks or 10 bucks a day spends over $100,000.00 in ones working years, if they retire after 30 years, not factoring in inflation.

Yes we can 2 dollar a day ourselves to death. I don't disagree Terry, I just don't want to add it all up as I go through life. I just can't stress over a few bucks a week for fuel driving as little as I do now, which yes adds up of course.

i did the math recently comparing a diesel vs gasser truck

assuming:

30k per year driving

3l/100 difference between vehicles

fuel at $1/liter

= $900 in fuel costs per year savings.

propably doesn't matter to someone driving <10k a year but it adds up quick when you drive a lot.

assuming:

30k per year driving

fuel at $1/liter

propably doesn't matter to someone driving <10k a year but it adds up quick when you drive a lot.

not to mention when diesel is cheaper than gas a lot of the time

Did a 14 hour drive down to Alabama in the spring, total fuel cost was absolutely stupid...i think we filled up twice? $200 bucks between 3 people, and then we camped? I literally drove and then stayed in alabama for 4 days for less than $100 lol

Not that it seems to be a consideration but I picked up a 2017 TITAN, non diesel non XD, about a month back. Would've also gone with a Tundra had the dealership had any interest in selling me one. My MPG is horrible compared to the numbers I'm seeing posted here, I'm averaging 17.2 litres per 100 km over the first 3000km on the odometer. Mostly city, some highway and some towing. Hope to see an improvement as the engine breaks in maybe. Otherwise seems decent. Big and reasonably powerful although somehow preferred the throttle response on my old tundra. Haven't managed to run against a hemi yet, imagine it would be pretty comparable off the line. I think I would've been just as happy with a full size 4x4 from any of the other manufacturers though.

So it was you....I heard a rumor that Nissan sold a pick up... :tease::tease:

assuming:

30k per year driving

fuel at $1/liter

So a 8 year payback on an Eco Diesel and a 12 year payback on a Cummins......

I have no regrets buying my Ram Diesel (forget the Eco part - that is just marketing...lol). It is the best riding vehicle (for its size) I have had, and is great for short runs, or for long distance driving. The low end grunt is awesome for towing - particularly pulling the boat of the water.

A couple of years ago we did a Golf Trip down to Mrytle Beach - and took my Truck. The guys loved it so much, that the next year, there was a request that we take it again. On the 2nd Trip my Brother In-Law who was driving a Ford Eco-Lie-Boost (See what I did there) came with me. He loved it so much, that when we got back, he went to the Ram Dealer on a Tuesday, and had his new Truck on a Wednesday.

The issue for him was Gas Mileage. The Ford was a great truck (I love the size of the interior) - but it drank fuel like crazy.

I think for anyone looking for a Truck, forget Brand Loyalty (they are not loyal to you). Try them all (I checked out all the Trucks before I bought), and buy what is right for you.

​However I will buy another Ram Diesel - no question on that. I have had zero regret on it.

I have no regrets buying my Ram Diesel (forget the Eco part - that is just marketing...lol). It is the best riding vehicle (for its size) I have had, and is great for short runs, or for long distance driving. The low end grunt is awesome for towing - particularly pulling the boat of the water.

A couple of years ago we did a Golf Trip down to Mrytle Beach - and took my Truck. The guys loved it so much, that the next year, there was a request that we take it again. On the 2nd Trip my Brother In-Law who was driving a Ford Eco-Lie-Boost (See what I did there) came with me. He loved it so much, that when we got back, he went to the Ram Dealer on a Tuesday, and had his new Truck on a Wednesday.

The issue for him was Gas Mileage. The Ford was a great truck (I love the size of the interior) - but it drank fuel like crazy.

I think for anyone looking for a Truck, forget Brand Loyalty (they are not loyal to you). Try them all (I checked out all the Trucks before I bought), and buy what is right for you.

​However I will buy another Ram Diesel - no question on that. I have had zero regret on it.

What motor & transmission do you have

So a 8 year payback on an Eco Diesel and a 12 year payback on a Cummins......

i didn't do the math on the eco diesel

on the colarado 3.6 gasser vs colorado 2.8 diesel it worked out to a little over 4 years payback on the diesel upgrade based on 30k kms / year. assuming diesel price = gas price and diesel maintenance = gasser maintenance

Edited by Raf

Well I crossed the floor from Chrysler to GM. Got a Colorado diesel. With the current 0% + factory incentives it was tough to justify used.

The diesel shows as 8.2 liters per 100 and guys on the forums frequently report better. I'll take that in a truck with a tow rating of 7200 lbs

• 1 month later...

not to revive the dead...but wow...surprise surprise i have a major update about my eco diesel.

Two weeks ago my 2016 eco diesel threw an CEL. Thought it may have just been the MAF or O2 sensor as the truck seemed to be running totally fine. But im still under warranty so I bring the truck in to Downsview dodge.

Over time i have also noticed that my coolant has slowly been draining, did a little research and learned that there are issues with the EGR coolers leaking.

Anyways truck goes in I get a call the EGR system is totally blown. full of soot and needs to be completely replaced. They swap the entire system out and i go and pick up my truck. I immediately notice that the truck is now making a very strong whistling sound...but the dealer is closed. I also need my truck so whatever a vacuum leak isnt the end of the world, ill take it back in to get it fixed...im not impressed but it is what it is....except that on the drive to Georgetown to drop my dog off an hour later, driving down the 401 my truck whistling away boom shudder, throttle control hits i get a big red lightning bolt and a warning to service to throttle control sensor and i throw another CEL....great

i limp my truck to georgetown dodge (its 8pm) and they tell me that they cant service my truck because downsview had done something wrong. Their suggestion is to get it towed using road side assistance, back to downsview. I tell them that I will deal with it tomorrow and they say thats fine that i can park it there until it can be towed.

The next day comes around, i have to go back to toronto for a doctor appointment so i drive my moms vehicle back to toronto, go to my appointment and drop the key off with downsview dodge. I then call roadside assistance where they proceed to tell me that

1. They wont tow vehicles from one dealer to another

2. That the tow exceeds my allowed mileage

3. that the tow truck driver needs to keys (which are at downsview)

i basically tell the lady on the phone "ok ill go put my truck in neutral and push it out into the middle of highway 7 and then you can tow it for me...and you can send the invoice for the additional mileage directly to downsview chrysler.

They get my tone and work everything out. I have to call the tow truck company and convince them to just frigging tow the truck on a dolly...they dont want to but I explain that whatever costs associated with the trouble will be covered by the dealer its not my problem.

They eventually oblige and its now been 2 days and I just right now found out my truck is available for pick up.

I will never buy a dodge again. Next time i will save up more money and buy something that doesnt break down after 39,000k

not to revive the dead...but wow...surprise surprise i have a major update about my eco diesel.

Two weeks ago my 2016 eco diesel threw an CEL. Thought it may have just been the MAF or O2 sensor as the truck seemed to be running totally fine. But im still under warranty so I bring the truck in to Downsview dodge.

Over time i have also noticed that my coolant has slowly been draining, did a little research and learned that there are issues with the EGR coolers leaking.

Anyways truck goes in I get a call the EGR system is totally blown. full of soot and needs to be completely replaced. They swap the entire system out and i go and pick up my truck. I immediately notice that the truck is now making a very strong whistling sound...but the dealer is closed. I also need my truck so whatever a vacuum leak isnt the end of the world, ill take it back in to get it fixed...im not impressed but it is what it is....except that on the drive to Georgetown to drop my dog off an hour later, driving down the 401 my truck whistling away boom shudder, throttle control hits i get a big red lightning bolt and a warning to service to throttle control sensor and i throw another CEL....great

i limp my truck to georgetown dodge (its 8pm) and they tell me that they cant service my truck because downsview had done something wrong. Their suggestion is to get it towed using road side assistance, back to downsview. I tell them that I will deal with it tomorrow and they say thats fine that i can park it there until it can be towed.

You had a lot of red flags happen there that you didn't have checked out. I'd say most of the onus is on you.

Also, why I went with a hemi. I like the fuel economy on the eco's but they have a lot of little issues.

S.

Any modern diesel with the amount of emissions crap they've slapped on them in recent years will have issues. EGRs, SCR systems, DPF, the list goes on and on. Another reason to delete all that stuff, get a retune and never worry about it again.

You had a lot of red flags happen there that you didn't have checked out. I'd say most of the onus is on you.

Also, why I went with a hemi. I like the fuel economy on the eco's but they have a lot of little issues.

S.

except i did

i went to the dealer and told them about my coolant leaking and they did a pressure test and it came up with nothing their reply was to monitor it? in fact they still wont admit that the EGR cooler is leaking. Their report says that that I am to continue to monitor the cooler because they couldnt find the source of the leak lmao.

What i couldnt believe is that the idiots didnt test drive the truck after completely swapping the EGR out...they basically took everything right off of the intake manifold and then reinstalled it and sure enough obviously didnt test drive it after or they would have heard the very loud whistle.

Bill, you already know that once my warranty is up im bypassing the EGR, installing a cold air intake and reflashing the ECU. Its a joke how badly they choke up the diesels to make emission standards.

Any modern diesel with the amount of emissions crap they've slapped on them in recent years will have issues. EGRs, SCR systems, DPF, the list goes on and on. Another reason to delete all that stuff, get a retune and never worry about it again.

believe me Bill I want to.. but I still have another 55k kms on the bumper to bumper and 155k kms on the power train warranties that i don't want to lose. really torn as to when this stuff should fall off the truck.

Edited by Raf

except i did

i went to the dealer and told them about my coolant leaking and they did a pressure test and it came up with nothing their reply was to monitor it? in fact they still wont admit that the EGR cooler is leaking. Their report says that that I am to continue to monitor the cooler because they couldnt find the source of the leak lmao.

What i couldnt believe is that the idiots didnt test drive the truck after completely swapping the EGR out...they basically took everything right off of the intake manifold and then reinstalled it and sure enough obviously didnt test drive it after or they would have heard the very loud whistle.

Bill, you already know that once my warranty is up im bypassing the EGR, installing a cold air intake and reflashing the ECU. Its a joke how badly they choke up the diesels to make emission standards.

If you say so.....lol....I wouldn't have taken it off the lot.

s.

Akri didn't do anything and most would do exactly the same. Your vehicle is making a whistling sound and your supposed to pull over and call for a tow? Immediately after leaving the dealership. If they let the vehicle go out like that it must not be a biggie. I would and most people would do exactly the same. Oh I said it but will say it again.

Buddy bought an 04' 3/4 ton Ram Hemi off the lot in 03'. 2 complete tranny replacements under warranty. A few thousand K's outside the warranty what do you think happened, yep another one. Lawyers got involved, lucky it was his Son because Chrysler has more lawyers then he does. They put in the 3rd tranny. 2 years later, yep deja vu all over again. He plowed snow yes, but that's why they make a 3/4 ton, not to go to the Mall shopping.

I own a Silverado. Not because it's better because I have found dealing with GM all my life as Dad always drove GM since his 55 Chev. and they have always been good to him and I. That and we made the steel for Chryslers so I had some insider info.

If you say so.....lol....I wouldn't have taken it off the lot.

s.

didnt realize that it was whistling until i hit a block south...at first I thought i was just hearing turbo spool...but then i rolled the windows down and realized that the truck was whistling...by that point the dealership was closed and more importantly I absolutely needed the truck that evening.

The way i saw it, the dealer let me newly "fixed" truck off of the lot in the shape it was in, thats on the dealership not me. Perhaps they should have test drove the vehicle after doing such significant repairs???