A better way to secure 12V Batteries please.

Somewhat a problem if the batteries have to be removed and replaced each and everytime to charge. The problem I have as there is no shore power at my slip. I don't even bother to use my bow electric now if I have to remove the 2/12 Volt batteries every time I use it.

Mine have those long 2 plastic clamps with the threaded rods with lower hooks and 1/2" nuts and washer at the top of the rods. Taking them out is not such a big deal but putting them back in can be a huge pain in the rear. Especially the 2 X 12 volts where there is no space. There has to be a better mouse trap, there must be besides bungee cords that I use now. I need the batteries up front for ballast since I mounted a 15 HP kicker. My Star Craft rides bow high

Any suggestions?

Two straps: one secured to the floor and has a metal loop in the other end. A second strap that is secured to the floor on the opposite side of the battery and is about 8" longer than needed to reach the metal loop. Put velcro on that one. Pass the velcroed strap through the loop and back on it self to secure the battery. I had a similar setup in my boat and it worked well.

Well not to sound like a smartass or anything but how about getting a slip with shore power...problem solved! JK John, but it would be an option.

ep, that would do it. It just simply isn't in the budget G. Mech simple as that. I pay $550.00 a year, taxes in. Next door they will charge me more than $1700.00 for a shore power slip. Zero amenities other than a Jonny on the Spot. That is if there was a slip open. They keep those slips for boats no less than 24 feet I believe. None of their other slips have shore power. I did have a slip there before I moved next door and it was more than double for the same set up where I am now 5 years ago. The closet marina to where I am is Port Dover and that is certainly out of my budget. The marina not in my budget in Dunnville doesn't have shore power either. I call where we are Chernobyl Marina, the view is the Steel Plant on 1 side and the Hydro plant on the other. It's a fishermans Marina not a boaters Yacht club like Dover. You know where I am.

How did I guess Cliff, Mike and you would know what I need. Now that's what I'm talking about, and for 20 bucks it's well within the budget!!

The link brought me to trailer winch quick connects. Is that the product, how do I use them? Replaces battery connections between 2 batteries? I'm the guy at the plant that called my electricians to change the batteries in my flashlight. I have never messed with the stuff since the very first time I tried to wire a plug doing my very first reno and I got shot across the room from a 110, or was it 111? The very first and absolute last time for me and electricity. Both my Father and Father in Law couldn't stop laughing their butts off. Oh there was a second time. But I only put the boxes in and then was told I had to move them because code calls for an exact measurement above the floor and distance between them on all walls, I quit. Now I call "The Guy". Doing plumbing OK, water runs downhill and the worse that can happen is you get wet not fried.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Buy a solar panel and charge controller...

Waste of time unless you have sunshine all day and 300+ watts of solar panels. Under the most ideal conditions, a 15 watt panel will give you 1 amp output per hour. A 150 watt panel would give you 10 amps. However, unless your panels are perpendicular and following the sun angle all day long, you'll never achieve that.

Edited by Fisherman

ep, that would do it. It just simply isn't in the budget G. Mech simple as that. I pay $550.00 a year, taxes in. Next door they will charge me more than $1700.00 for a shore power slip. Zero amenities other than a Jonny on the Spot. That is if there was a slip open. They keep those slips for boats no less than 24 feet I believe. None of their other slips have shore power. I did have a slip there before I moved next door and it was more than double for the same set up where I am now 5 years ago. The closet marina to where I am is Port Dover and that is certainly out of my budget. The marina not in my budget in Dunnville doesn't have shore power either. I call where we are Chernobyl Marina, the view is the Steel Plant on 1 side and the Hydro plant on the other. It's a fishermans Marina not a boaters Yacht club like Dover. You know where I am.

Sorry John, I thought they had some slips there with power...that's all I was getting at.

Got ya G. Yes all the slips for 20 and under have no power the last time I looked. The first year I got an extra heavy duty extension cord and tapped into a old friends plug. I was asked not to do it by the then owner. Hoover sold a few years back. I was told it is in the plan to get power to some smaller slips. Hoovers has improved a lot compared to before. Except the most important part, the ramps and docks at the ramps. I see they actually installed 1 single cleat, 1 cleat. And the food and service at the remodeled restaurant sucked 2 weeks ago. I don't like to criticise anyone's business without explanation. Just a few things, 20 minutes to get drinks, no salt, pepper catsup on the table, by the time that all came I ate what I could. A Philly Cheesesteak does not come on a 4" burger bun with a 1/2 slice of some kind of white cheese slice and burnt red peppers and burnt onions, 1/2 a slice of cheese!!!!!! Ticha's chicken club was burnt on the outside and frozen in the middle. She didn't touch it and the waitress never asked why. People I know and trust raved about the food. Consistency is the toughest part of running a restaurant. Oh and the 3rd drink that never came was on the bill.

Many there have tried the Solar panel route. A waste of time and money for those little panels to charge a 12 volt. On the other thread about charging 12V batteries the OP said he can only get them to 75%. Maye he missed a decimal point..

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I used a panel to charge the batteries at a cottage we owned.. The 123 watt gave us a 7 amp charge at peak sun. You aren't using the boat every day so yes you can get a full charge after a couple of days.. By all means stop using the trolling motor or resort to carrying them to a charger if you don't want to try it..

I used a panel to charge the batteries at a cottage we owned.. The 123 watt gave us a 7 amp charge at peak sun. You aren't using the boat every day so yes you can get a full charge after a couple of days.. By all means stop using the trolling motor or resort to carrying them to a charger if you don't want to try it..

How big is that setup? Is that something that would fit in a boat?

A 100 watt panel is shown here, so you can roughly figure out 1/4 more for size. Specs are also shown at the bottom. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-100-watt-12-volt-crystalline-panel-0112099p.html

Thanks, that doesn't look like something that you would want to keep in your boat. Nor, would the park owner likely want that sitting around the dock all summer.