Lake Simcoe Boat launches

Rattletrap2

Hey guys, I'm thinking of heading up to Simcoe on Tuesday to give it a try. I would like to launch somewhere on the North end near the Narrows at Atherly. Anyone know of good spots to launch and park?

If the winds kick up, I would probably switch to Cooks Bay. Any places you would recommend down there?

The last time I owned a boat, I fished the same lake every week-end. I never had to deal with these issues, and I'm kind of new to it.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by Rattletrap2

I normally launch out of Couchiching Beach Park, that's by the narrows or out of Beaverton/Sibbalds on the east side. Good launches with parking.

Dan, this is the old Tudhope Park? I didn't know they had a launch. Any idea about the public launch on Collins? You see it just as you round the bend onto Highway 12 on the right side heading East/South.

I never understood why boat launches are a giant secret. Simcoe is huge......Share the lake people.

I paid to launch out of Trent Talbot Marina, north east side. Theres a free launch to georgina residents further south, but not sure how it works for people who dont live in Georgina. I got a ticket over the winter ice fishing because I wasnt a Georgina Resident, but they dont even give you an opportunity to pay for parking. Its a weird system.

There is a free launch across from Tudhope Park, it's very close to the Narrows.

Then you can Fish Simcoe or Couchiching.

Also a free launch in Couchiching off Centennial Dr., near Couchiching Beach Park, if you launch there be careful, there is a few shallow spot driving over to the Narrows..

The rest of Simcoe is off limits to outsiders.

What does this mean??? Tire slashing and the like? lol

No, they charge an arm and a leg, then when you can't get back to your truck because of all the idiots blocking the boat ramp, and you are 10 mins later than your parking pass, they give you a nice $50 ticket on top of the $45 to launch. I will never, ever, ever, ever launch anywhere but sibbalds ever again. The whole west side is like that, and its coming to be the same along the south side too. Friggen rip off!!!!

S.

No, they charge an arm and a leg, then when you can't get back to your truck because of all the idiots blocking the boat ramp, and you are 10 mins later than your parking pass, they give you a nice $50 ticket on top of the $45 to launch. I will never, ever, ever, ever launch anywhere but sibbalds ever again. The whole west side is like that, and its coming to be the same along the south side too. Friggen rip off!!!!

S.

Yes that about sums it up. Stopped fishing Simcoe it just is not worth it.

So I used the launch at Sibbald point today for the first time. Good launch, decent washrooms and a beach, kids hung out and had a good time. I'd recommend it. The only issue is that the docks aren't right beside the ramps, so launching solo requires jumping in your boat from the trailer and motoring over to the dock, then parking the truck. Otherwise, 2 thumbs up!

I never understood why boat launches are a giant secret. Simcoe is huge......Share the lake people.

I paid to launch out of Trent Talbot Marina, north east side. Theres a free launch to georgina residents further south, but not sure how it works for people who dont live in Georgina. I got a ticket over the winter ice fishing because I wasnt a Georgina Resident, but they dont even give you an opportunity to pay for parking. Its a weird system.

We launched at the marina in Georgina in May and no one there to take any money at he marina, but the pay and display parking lot wasn't cheap. Especially since the first time money was put in the machine no ticket came out so we had to pay twice, I think it was 40 bucks that my 1st mate finally paid. Ouch. We were told by the nice lady at the bait shop around the corner it was the only launch.

Off topic, what a surprise from me! One guys asking us to sign looks at me and asks if I worked in the Steel Industry? Yes, turns out he was an engineer and we worked a Blast Furnace reline 27 years ago. And that was well before I got old and shrived up.

Big political brew haha there in Georgina over the sale of the marina and sale of the public park for Condos. We couldn't walk 20 feet without someone asking us to sign a petition. One guy actually pulled his boat next to ours to ask to sign. I eventually had to ask him to leave us be as we were there to fish not talk politics. I mod que'd the guy.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It's genius no? You paid for launch via the parking ticket!

System seems to be working "fine" to me.

So I used the launch at Sibbald point today for the first time. Good launch, decent washrooms and a beach, kids hung out and had a good time. I'd recommend it. The only issue is that the docks aren't right beside the ramps, so launching solo requires jumping in your boat from the trailer and motoring over to the dock, then parking the truck. Otherwise, 2 thumbs up!

Yes, its a great launch. What was the price this year? I haven't been there yet this year.

S.

It was $20 for full access to a provincial park, truck full with my family, clean enough washrooms, a store for ice cream etc. And a good big launch. Some friends where camping there, only $40 a night that close to the GTA is a bargain for those looking close to home in that area. Tudhope is nice cause it's free, but I'd spend $20 if I was on that side. Long drive from my place though, and my in laws live 5 minutes from Tudhope, so I doubt I'll be a regular visitor.

Momma said there would be days like this......

Well, Tuesday started out rough and only got worse as the day progressed. I am a detail oriented freak and things like this should not have happened, but they did! Trouble with the new trailer lights started the day and it took from 6 am till 10:35 before we got on the road. I had to totally replace brand new lights with new LED ones. Road construction through Gasoline Alley slowed us down and then ramp closures in Orillia forced us to go beyond our intended cut-off and work our way back through town and traffic. We got to the water around 12:35 and decided to check out the public launch across from Tudhope. Parking was full.

We went on to McRae Point park. Seemed pretty good, only $14.50 to get in and launch!

Not a soul in there besides us....figures, ramp, such as it was, sucked. Way too shallow. No dock, just two rows of very slippery submerged rocks on either side of ramp. It started out shallow and got shallower as you went in further! Struggled to get the boat off and finally headed out with the trolling motor. I wanted to check the depth of the crystal clear water. Front graph won't work at all! Yep, starting battery is dead as a door knob!

I tried pulling the motor over with the rope. No dice.

Struggled like hell to get the boat back on the trailer and admitted defeat!

Other than some great sandwiches (Thanks to my Wife!) and a great day spent with one of my Daughters, the day was a total wash out. We decided to head for home before anything else happened! LOL

Keep in mind....the boat trailer is brand new. It has only been used one time back in May before my accident. The starting battery was also brand new and fully charged back in May. I only used it once and there was nothing left on to drain it. For the life of me,I don't know why it was drained down to nothing. I had checked the trolling motor battery and charged it, but never gave the battery for starting and electronics a second thought!

Since Tuesday, i have charged it up and performed a load test. All seems fine and I will check it over the next few days.

Sigh...

That just sucks Rattletrap. Been there done that. I now put the charger to the starting battery the day before, just in case. Check that none of my supposed friends loosened the nuts on the battery posts to be funny, just in case. Check all the trailer lights the day before even though I just towed last week, just in case. Put all the keys in the glove box of the truck, just in case. Try all the electronics the day before, just in case. Make sure it has full tanks the day before, yep just in case. Put my fishing licence in the glove box, just in case. The list goes on quite a bit. Read my by-line at the bottom of this page. Oh, the plug is in before the boat leaves this shack. Just in case.

I have had a portable battery booster fully charged in the boat for 5 years now. I bought a 1000 AMP new one on sale that fits in a jacket pocket and sold my humongous old one for almost what I paid to the guy who's battery was dead at the ramp. I have used it 3 times this year, for a neighbours FORD and twice at the launch for guys with dead batteries. Best 100 bucks I spent in a long time. I find Marine batteries don't hold a charge like my automotives do. Probably have a small drain, you most likely do too. Then with all this rain I know the bilge pump is doing what it is supposed to because I left the plug in a few times.

I know it is feeekin frustrating, but you did get a family day in and it didn't snow.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That just sucks Rattletrap. Been there done that. I now put the charger to the starting battery the day before, just in case. Check that none of my supposed friends loosened the nuts on the battery posts to be funny, just in case. Check all the trailer lights the day before even though I just towed last week, just in case. Put all the keys in the glove box of the truck, just in case. Try all the electronics the day before, just in case. Make sure it has full tanks the day before, yep just in case. Put my fishing licence in the glove box, just in case. The list goes on quite a bit. Read my by-line at the bottom of this page. Oh, the plug is in before the boat leaves this shack. Just in case.

I have had a portable battery booster fully charged in the boat for 5 years now. I bought a 1000 AMP new one on sale that fits in a jacket pocket and sold my humongous old one for almost what I paid to the guy who's battery was dead at the ramp. I have used it 3 times this year, for a neighbours FORD and twice at the launch for guys with dead batteries. Best 100 bucks I spent in a long time. I find Marine batteries don't hold a charge like my automotives do. Probably have a small drain, you most likely do too. Then with all this rain I know the bilge pump is doing what it is supposed to because I left the plug in a few times.

I know it is feeekin frustrating, but you did get a family day in and it didn't snow.

You nailed it! I'm thinking the fact that I turned 58 yesterday might have some relevance in this situation! lol

I have left the fishing license at home already this year (only been out 3 times including this debacle!). Had the Wife photograph it and email it to me

so i had at least a copy of it on my phone. Might not have helped, but couldn't hurt! Oh, and I also left the net at home....but I chalked that one up to early season jitters! I also left the ownership and insurance certificate for the truck home on the dining room table since I had it out to look for turn signal fuses in the manual. Yep, I'm starting to see the pattern here! She is all downhill from here.

I did see something with the boat yesterday that might have drained the battery. When I went to check on the battery charging, I found my little graph up front still on from the day before. Seems like when you hit the off button, it sometimes boots right back up.I will disconnect the power cable from now on.