French River Trip...scary start, wet week, decent fishing

bigcreekdad

My first trip of at least two this season to the French. After crossing at the Sioux, we were heading east on 17 near Blind River when all heck broke loose. I was in a passing lane going about 60 when there was a lurch and my boat and trailer were doing wild fishtails behind me. First reaction was to hit the brakes, but that resulted in more severe zig zagging. After a very scary minute, I finally slowed enough to pull over. I first thought I had blown a tire, However, after getting out to look, I found the heavy round bar that goes through the ball insert had come out. My boat and trailer were literally being dragged by the chains and digging into the pavement. A car pulled up behind me and here comes a guy with the bar. He was the guy I was passing, and he actually saw it pop out and the trailer disengage. I think the pin that score the bar must have come off or broke. With much help from him, we got the tongue back on the ball, hurry rigged a new "pin" with jaw spreaders (how handy to have them). Everything looked secure, but I drove pretty slowly into Blind River and bought new rear tie downs that were torn loose and destroyed with the wild zigzagging. I was driving a GMC Yukon, vs my previous small Jeep. I wonder if we would have lost control of the much lighter Jeep. I consider myself very lucky as it turned out. No idea what happened to the pin. I've towed this and a lighter boat to lakes in northern Michigan almost 10 times already this season. I tried to pay the guy who helped me but he refused saying.."I'm a farmer, and we help each other". Amazing....there are good people out there, and I hope I remember this if I see someone in distress on the road in the future. I tried to imagine if this had happened in heavy traffic if I'd come through Toronto instead of the Sioux route....likely would have had a bad ending.

Anyway, we finally arrived in Wolseley Bay, albeit about 90 minutes later than it should take. As soon as we dunked the boat and loaded the gear it began to rain. Then the wind picked up and was blowing in my face the entire 15 minute ride to Lochaven Lodge, where we were staying. We only donned our raincoats, so we were freezing and soaked below the waste when we arrived.

That was how the trip began, and we had rain off and on for much of our 6 day trip. When it wasn't raining it was extremely windy. As fitting, it was raining when we left and rained half the way home.

The fishing was typical French River finicky. A mix of poor, fair, and very good. Weeds were a bit behind, and finding walleye was tough. After trying worms and a jig and worms, I switched to Rebel Pop'Rs and a jig and yellow grub. The topwater bite was often wild..mostly smallmouth, with a pike here and there. Also, had a big musky take a 12" bass that just hit my topwater. The lure must have hooked the muskie as it stayed on and the bass was more than halfway out of the muskie's mouth. The fish never ran, just get trying to go deeper and nose down. We had it on for over 5 minutes and up to the boat 4 times, but never quite good enough for a clean head shot. Finally, got a good chance, but as soon as my son had the fishes head in the net, it shook his head and broke, or cut, the line (25b floro....i use 12" as a shock tippet with the Rebel). I'm guessing, but pretty confidently, the length at a high 40's fish. Disappointing, but really a long shot anyway. I was using 8lb mono, so if he ran or jumped I would likely have been toast anyway. Fun regardless, and always good to see one of the old people now and then.

A first for me was a 20" walleye on the topwater. Even the lodge owner, Eddie Crane, said he's never heard of this in daylight.

As usual Lochaven was a great place to stay.

Final world....check those trailer hitch pins before you leave.....I certainly will.

Wow ... got lucky there. Note to self to have at least one spare. I'll definitely have one before I head north again,

We were up on the West Arm at Maskinonje for the Musky opener - I have one small pike for my efforts, but I was only on the water a few hours a day anyway.

hopefully September will be a different story.

At least you got to hit the water for the week.

I too had the same thing happen this weekend. Damaged the back of the vehicle and potential damage to the hull of the boat. I was by myself and had a hard time getting the tongue back on the vehicle. Pieced it all back together and returned home with my tail between my legs.

Your point about helping others...... what goes around comes around. If we all put forth a bit of effort helping others, we will get help when we eventually need it.

Good job on the fishing!

Dan

I think your timing will be right on re: weeds. Weather has got to average out eventually.

What are you fishing for primarily?

My other son and I are heading for the upper French (Chaudiere Lodge) on the 14th. I last went there in 1966. And went to Casa Blanca Lodge in that area from mid 1990's to 2005.

My mainstay now is Crane's Lochaven Lodge on the lower French, but returning to the upper has been on my bucket list. Time to pull that trigger.

Please report back on your trip....I'll do the same.

John

During a long trip I once pulled in a napped at a small store in the middle of the night. Wasn't towing anything but had the hitch on. Woke due to a 'funny feeling'. Drove the rest of the way home and then noticed the hitch was gone. Someone removed the pin, the bar, then slid the hitch out.

I haven't heard of a pin shearing off/breaking before. Perhaps someone removed the pin to try and steal your boat but got interrupted. Or possibly for some other reason. Some weirdos out there. I recall hearing about trailer wheel nuts being loosened at a launch ramp someplace.

Need to keep a close watch on things.

Been there done that, got the tee shirt.

My pin that goes through the tongue lock fell out and the trailer came off the hitch ball. This happened on the 401 at 120K though. Was lucky to get her under control without damaging anything or getting killed in the process. Don't want to go through that again.

Dan

I think your timing will be right on re: weeds. Weather has got to average out eventually.

What are you fishing for primarily?

My other son and I are heading for the upper French (Chaudiere Lodge) on the 14th. I last went there in 1966. And went to Casa Blanca Lodge in that area from mid 1990's to 2005.

My mainstay now is Crane's Lochaven Lodge on the lower French, but returning to the upper has been on my bucket list. Time to pull that trigger.

Please report back on your trip....I'll do the same.

John

I will be out for musky, kind of early and not the best time but it's an outing. If I can't find them, then bass it is. I will be at Bryers and then somewhere else on the French or possibly the West arm the following week. Haven't decided yet, had some nice follows on the west arm this same time last year but overall fishing was pretty poor. Had much better results on the lower french. I will make a report with the results when I return.

Camped out of Casa Blanca for many years on the Upper (hope Brian is doing well). It was a tough fish sometimes for ski's. Had better luck on the Lower; another good option near by if you want to put in for a day on the Pickerel River.

Current breaks are your best friend on these systems.

Tight lines fellas.

Sorry to hear.

I had similar thing happen: was on my way 2 years ago to lake o pike opener. I drove over some train tracks, kept driving at about 85km / hr speed afterwards , within 2 minutes I felt my jeep sway, and 3 different smashes into my tailgate. Looked back, I had dummied the road with the front of the trailer for almost 100meters. It happens.....

Sterling

Not quite understanding your post. June is typically a good month for fishing walleye on the French.

Family used to have a cottage on the French, around mid-June the walleye would seek cooler water so we'd have to find them there. Of course depending on your location, deep water may not be nearby.

My experience anyway, your mileage will vary!

Family used to have a cottage on the French, around mid-June the walleye would seek cooler water so we'd have to find them there. Of course depending on your location, deep water may not be nearby.

My experience anyway, your mileage will vary!

When I went up to the North Channel the 1st Week of July with Family, I Managed to get the only Walleye of the Trip, Measured at about 17", Was the 1st Fish Caught in Boat of the Trip. One Day when we got back from a Trip in Boat there was someone that had like Half a Dozen on a Stringer apparently, We were told to use White & Blue Colors to Catch them.

Man oh man Bigcreek, someone had your back. Rented a cement mixer and needed a 1 3/4" ball, mine is 2". The guy there swapped out the sleeve and put a threaded bolt and nut on instead of a proper codder pin/ I asked him if that was OK, do it all the time he tells me. Sure enough get home and the nut is gone and the bolt is working itself out. Another few K's and it wouldn't have been pretty, actually could have injured someone or worse. Returned it and pointed out the hazard to the guy, he never blinked an eye, including the Manager. I should have known better. If something bad did happen it would be me responsible as the operator, at least most of it. Same guy somewhere had my back that day.