The Things We Do For Our Fur Babies

DRIFTER_016

Been a long week for me.

On Tuesday evening after work my best friend slipped while playing and hurt his back badly.

When he fell he landed on his left hip and twisted his back. He was instantly in a lot of pain and unable to use his left leg.

I took him to the vet and had the doc check him out. He gave Sahtu a sedative, pain killers and an anti-inflammatory. He also took x-rays of his back and hips. There was nothing broken but my poor pup now had paralysis of his left leg and partial paralysis of the right.

The doc told me if there was no improvement by morning to bring him in first thing.

10647065_965759740117032_513633910674466

The next morning after little sleep I found Sahtu in the same condition so I went to see the vet as instructed.

I had two options to put him down or take him to see a surgeon in Edmonton 1,500 kilometers South.

No brainer!!!! Called work told them I wouldn't be in, loaded up the Honda and pointed her South!!!!

Got out of town here @ 9:30AM.

At 5:00PM I stopped for a break and let the pooch out (first time the whole trip) and his left leg was actually starting to work and he even put a little weight on it. This was the first time in 24 hours I had some hope.

Stopped again at 11:00PM and he was putting more weight on it and was getting around better. I now had hope he wouldn't need to go under the knife.

Pulled into the vets @ 2:00AM. He was looked at by the doc on duty then and she said the surgeon would check him over in the AM. So the pooch and I went and got some shuteye in the car (wanted him with me and not in the vets overnight).

Took him into the clinic @ 7AM and dropped him off to be looked after.

They did a CT scan on his back and the good news was there was no neurological damage and that he wouldn't need surgery. Got some meds and instructions for care and was told he should be fine.

Off we went on the 1,500 km trip back North.

Got home at 10AM Saturday morning.

He's even better today. He's able to go up and down the stairs and is a little more stable although still weak in the back end.

That should improve with time. :)

Vet visit in Yellowknife: $425

Unplanned trip to Edmonton: $750

Vet bill in Edmonton: $2,100

Having your best buddy back: Priceless!!!!

19553889_2007556119270717_27894278044136

I'm not sure that any of my friends would drive me 25 minutes to the Hospital if I had a bone sticking out somewhere let alone 1500 KMS. I hope my wife would, but she has Power Of Attorney for health care and they might put me down.

And that is one beauty of a Dog Dave.