Wolseley Bay - French River

smithy97

Hey everyone - I'm new to these forums. Have enjoyed reading lots of great info over the winter. I'm focusing on muskie fishing this year. Last year I caught my first, a 40'' in the Kawartha Lakes. This year, I'll be going to Pigeon Lake for a week just after opener. Also, I have the first week of October set aside for a muskie trip, and I'm debating going to Totem Pole Lodge on the French. I hear that this is big fish water, and not numbers for sure. I'm ok with that. What I'm really concerned about is that I'd be going by myself. Should I avoid this water without having a lookout man in the front of the boat?

Is this a good time to be targeting ski's in that area?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

word to the wise, dont make your first post about asking if there is anything fishing related in a specific area. especially when it comes to eyes, muskies or other spot specific difficult to catch fish.

welcome to the forums, hopefully this isnt your last post.

Huh??? I saw nothing wrong with his post. Hell, he's asking about safety concerns!

Nice way to welcome someone to the board.

So...Smithy...I've fished that water at least 3 times a season for the last 10 years. Try to get some kind of map and I'll bet the lodge owners will steer you away from a lot of hidden stuff. Also, go slow if in doubt, and give all points a wide berth. You should be OK.

Fishing that time of year can be tough, as if muskie fishing isn't tough enough. Cover a lot of water. Mix trolling and casting.

Another thought....hire a guide for a day. He'll put you on at least a few spots or areas that you can return to. I know of a guide on that water who really likes to fish musky. This would be money well spent. I could put you in touch.

I might be up there myself then. Maybe we'll cross wakes.

Thanks bigcreekdad! This is info I was looking for, and I'll welcome more from others as well! I know not to ask which rock or island point hold fish, those answers are earned by putting time on the water and learning myself.

I am expecting tough fishing, but looking forward to the hunt and the beautiful scenery!

I have been going there for a week in Oct. the last 6 years. Yes, the fishing is tough. Scenery is out of this world! One of my favorite places to fish.

Totem Point is a great place to stay. You don't have to travel far to catch Muskie is all I can tell you.

The Hamilton Chapter of Muskies Canada will be having their annual outing there Oct 13,14,and 15th.

So if you're up there around that time, you could definitely benefit from chatting up a few guys. At least, they could point out any hazards to you.

I have fished out of Wolseley Lodge right next to Totem Point. If you do a search on Woseley Bay / Wolseley Lodge, you could find some of my past reports. Haven't been back for several years now - so you may have to go back a while. The main bay itself holds some big fish, even in the 50's. Personally saw a 50 landed right in the bay. You are in good shape in the bay as far as hidden hazards. As was mentioned, stay a little off the shoreline and don't cut any corners sharp, and you should be fine in the long bay itself., One year I was there, we met a guy from Ohio that fished from Wolseley Lodge for several days and never left the bay. Landed something like 6-8 nice Muskies in that time period. This was in early Sepember. Good luck and welcome to the board

Welcome aboard. I understand Akri's point of view but your question sits well with me. I have fished many times in that area years ago. End of Sept beginning of Oct. Bass were the target not Musky, and they are there if you know how to find them. That area in the fall with all the colours has to be one of the most beautiful spots in the entire globe. If fishing wasn't hot I just took out the 35MM and took in the scenery. I personally wouldn't fish that area solo, ever, even if I thought I knew it like the back of my hand, no one really can. I have taken a few layers of varnish off those old Powassan wood 18 footers in that area. Find a partner to fish with is my recommendation 110%. If you do decide to take it on alone I recommend a PFD be worn at all times and you have some means of communication if things go array, and they can fast.

I've stayed at Wolseley Lodge once before in the fall, but it was to fish bass/walleye. So I can't help you with any musky info. When we stayed there the owner of the lodge gave us a map and explained the area and which places to steer clear of and where to be careful. Also showed us some spots.

Welcome to the forum. :Gonefishing:

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses! A lot of great info on here for sure. I'm thinking that I may wait another year before trying the Wolseley area out. I want to gain more experience muskie fishing before I take on such a challenging spot. I will make it up there one day! Sounds like a must see area for sure, for beautiful scenery and quality fish.

Thanks again everyone!

October can be an interesteing time of year at Wolseley. Like BigJack stated the Hamilton Chapter of Muskies Canada has had their outing the week after Thanksgiving at Totem Point Lodge for the last few years and have always been treated Great!

Fishing can be tough and so can the weather, but there are muskies to be caught.

Rick_47_Oct_12_2016_E_crop (Mobile).jpg

Ive been incredibly busy to be honest.. busniess is good and eating up more time than ever... Maple syrup season tried to both ruin me and my liver.. lol.. Just been hectic thats all.. gonna try and stop in more.

Ive been incredibly busy to be honest.. busniess is good and eating up more time than ever... Maple syrup season tried to both ruin me and my liver.. lol.. Just been hectic thats all.. gonna try and stop in more.

Great that she let you out for a while :whistling: