"We beat the customer. Not the competition"

"And you thought leg room was an issue"

"Where voluntary is mandatory"

"Fight or flight. We decide"

"Now offering one free carry off"

"Beating random customers since 2017"

"If our staff needs a seat, we'll drag you out by your feet"

"A bloody good airline"

I don't get the hate for United they called airport police to deal with the situation, which happens far too often on most airlines, security who are not employed by United went overboard. Not any different than if I called the police to remove a trespasser from my property and the responding officers go beserk and beat on the trespasser if he doesn't leave, would I as the owner of the property and the one who called the authorities get crucified in the media for the actions of these officer? Hope not, I don't see any difference in the two scenarios.

Now United offers both Red Eye and Black Eye flights.

I don't get the hate for United they called airport police to deal with the situation, which happens far too often on most airlines, security who are not employed by United went overboard. Not any different than if I called the police to remove a trespasser from my property and the responding officers go beserk and beat on the trespasser if he doesn't leave, would I as the owner of the property and the one who called the authorities get crucified in the media for the actions of these officer? Hope not, I don't see any difference in the two scenarios.

He shouldn't have been asked to leave the plane in the first place. United was too cheap to offer a decent incentive to get volunteers. United has usually offered much lower incentives than other airlines. They have since increased the limits that staff are allowed to offer; so they may have this problem in the future.

Here is a little satire on the issue. The funny part is reading the comments and realizing that there are people who actually believe that this really happened.

http://thedailystooge.com/airline-straps-man-to-roof/

Edited by JohnBacon

This is going to be his biggest payday yet, I believe he intentionally escalated the situation , the resulting media frenzy played out better than expected, probably dreaming of a big lawsuit as they dragged him down the aisle. Not to mention he had his medical license suspended for a sex for prescriptions conviction and just recently got it back. Sorry, but I personally think this guy is a con man and shyster and the media are a bunch of fools for falling for this.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2017/04/in-the-spotlight-david-dao-poker-results-searched-flight-27675.htm

Apparently they removed a bride and groom on the way to their wedding over the weekend... Some dude was in their seats sprawled across them all on an empty plane. Rather than disturb him they just went into some of the empty seats that were deemed economy+ when all they had were economy lol big deal... Apparently the airline has stated they were being disorderly and wouldn't follow instructions which I find absurd... Why would someone put their flight on the way to their wedding in jeopardy

http://www.khou.com/mb/news/local/bride-and-groom-booted-off-united-flight-in-houston/431644313

Edited by Lucas F

I dont care if he is a con man or a murderer , he did not create the situation United had no justification in dragging him out

there is no way in hell i would give up my seat, I would have been dragged out too,I hope he gets 100s of millions out of the settlement

This is going to be his biggest payday yet, I believe he intentionally escalated the situation , the resulting media frenzy played out better than expected, probably dreaming of a big lawsuit as they dragged him down the aisle. Not to mention he had his medical license suspended for a sex for prescriptions conviction and just recently got it back. Sorry, but I personally think this guy is a con man and shyster and the media are a bunch of fools for falling for this.

https://www.pokernews.com/news/2017/04/in-the-spotlight-david-dao-poker-results-searched-flight-27675.htm

His past is irrelavent. He never should have been asked to give up his seat in the first place. United was too cheap to offer a decent incentive for people to volunteer; now they are paying the price for it.

His past is irrelavent. He never should have been asked to give up his seat in the first place. United was too cheap to offer a decent incentive for people to volunteer; now they are paying the price for it.

I agree whole heartedly that he shouldn't have been asked to give up his seat,but my understanding is that this goes on all the time with most airlines and I don't agree with it. But for me, his past is relavent , when you are playing this for a six, no, seven figure payout with the media feeding frenzy on United just what would be your decent incentive for a volunteer ?? Next time the media picks a poster boy for what I think is a valid issue, maybe they should pick one with out a history that makes you question their motives and how much they contributed to what transpired.

I agree as well.

There's no way he could have planed this; he may have seen an opportunity and took full advantage of it though.

Dan.

I agree whole heartedly that he shouldn't have been asked to give up his seat,but my understanding is that this goes on all the time with most airlines and I don't agree with it. But for me, his past is relavent , when you are playing this for a six, no, seven figure payout with the media feeding frenzy on United just what would be your decent incentive for a volunteer ?? Next time the media picks a poster boy for what I think is a valid issue, maybe they should pick one with out a history that makes you question their motives and how much they contributed to what transpired.

You mean a guy would voluntarily suffer a concussion and have his front teeth smashed just for the $? Given that both he and his wife are doctors suggests that they were Ok already with $. That's a classic 'blame the victim' argument if I've ever seen one!

IMO, those United bustards should pay, and pay, and pay again. Looks good on them!!

Actually, asking someone to give up their seat after they have boarded the plane is very rare. It may not have even been legal for the airline to bump him at this point. Generally if you are going to be bumped from the flight; it happens before boarding.

I don't think the media really has much choice on who will be the poster boy for this issue. What are they going to do? Wait until someone with a less embarrassing past gets dragged off of a plane?

I am not really sure what you are getting at with the amount required for a volunteer. There wouldn't be a media frenzy if they had a volunteer. They didn't need Dao to volunteer; just someone on the plane. United has some of the lowest average payouts for volunteers in the industry. Most airlines would offer at least $1,350 before they bumped someone. One airline stated that they have gone as high as $9,000. If they had offered a little more, I am sure that someone who could afford to be a day late would have accepted their offer.

While Dao may be making the most of the situation. He could hardly have planned this.

Apparently they removed a bride and groom on the way to their wedding over the weekend... Some dude was in their seats sprawled across them all on an empty plane. Rather than disturb him they just went into some of the empty seats that were deemed economy+ when all they had were economy lol big deal... Apparently the airline has stated they were being disorderly and wouldn't follow instructions which I find absurd... Why would someone put their flight on the way to their wedding in jeopardy

http://www.khou.com/mb/news/local/bride-and-groom-booted-off-united-flight-in-houston/431644313

Re: "Why would someone put their flight on the way to their wedding in jeopardy"

On the other hand, why would United Airlines fabricate a story about what really happened when they are already suffering from bad publicity from the Dr incident. In this case, I find United's version of the events to be more believable. I wonder if any witnesses will post their account of what happened on social media.

The airline asked for volunteers to leave the plane, offering compensation up to $1000, and when nobody volunteered they chose random people. In United's contract, which passengers agree to when purchasing a ticket, it says they reserve the right to deny boarding for such reasons with boarding being defined as any time before the plane actually takes off.

Zero sympathy from me and this idiot got what he deserved for acting like a child and resisting authorities. Three other passengers were also removed from the plane and this guy is the only one who caused a scene, which says a lot about the guy. Whether you're right or wrong, resisting authorities typically doesn't end well for those who choose to resist.

Lastly, in 2016 nearly 500,000 people in the US were bumped from their flights due to overbooking. Almost half a million cases of people being bumped and this tool is the ONLY one to cause such a scene? I suppose he think's he's special. :dunno:

Edited by ch312

Actually, asking someone to give up their seat after they have boarded the plane is very rare. It may not have even been legal for the airline to bump him at this point. Generally if you are going to be bumped from the flight; it happens before boarding.

Boarding is defined as any time before the plane takes off which makes removing this guy 100% legal, as stated in the contract when passengers purchase their ticket. With almost 500,000 passengers being bumped last year in the US alone, I can't help but assume at least a couple thousand of those were bumped after physically stepping in the plane.

This is just another case of a self entitled snob not reading the details when he purchased his ticket and agreed to United's contract/policy in the process.

Well, United thought he was special! Special enough to be asked off the plane.

I have been bumped, once leaving Toronto and once they attempted to bump my wife and I in Paris. We were lucky that a group of high school kids (25) were on the same flight and volunteered to stay a day in Paris, all compted. Came close to getting arrested at the airport, armed cops and all, but we got our flight and we both made it to work the next day.

I agree that the "victim" acted like a spoiled child, but I don't agree with airlines' bumping policies.

HH

Lastly, in 2016 nearly 500,000 people in the US were bumped from their flights due to overbooking. Almost half a million cases of people being bumped and this tool is the ONLY one to cause such a scene? I suppose he think's he's special. :dunno:

Do you feel the same way about Rosa Parks?

Edited by JohnBacon

The airline asked for volunteers to leave the plane, offering compensation up to $1000, and when nobody volunteered they chose random people.

Like I said earlier, too cheap to offer a decent incentive.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/04/14/delta-approves-offers-of-up-to-9950-to-passengers-who-give-up-seats.html

This seat bumping has been going on for years. The airlines will over sell tickets; in an attempt to make sure the flight if full. First passengers to check in get a seat or like in this case of this Doctor's flight; it was airline personal that wanted the seats.

20 some odd years ago, my wife, two kids (6&8 years old) and myself were flying back from Dubai on Air Emirates and had to transfer to Air Canada at Heathrow in London.

Get to the Air Canada desk too be told there were only three seats left available.

Well after already being in the air for 6 or 7 hours; we were not the most patient of people to be told this and raised a big enough stink; that they bumped someone else off the flight, as to get all 4 of us on. So the airlines can do pretty much what they want, when and if they want. Well maybe not drag a person off the plane; but I'd bet this Doctor wasn't the first to have this done too.

Dan.

He warned the Cops before they touched him he was going to sue them if they touched him. He was right, he is suing them, everyone sues everyone else down there as well it is becoming more and more the norm here too. If I dragged someone along the ground and gave them a fat lip I would be spending the night in jail. There was no need for violence in this case. I know there was someone on that flight that would have taken fair comp. I used to hope they were looking for someone to bump me. I was given 2 free round trip tickets anywhere American flew into Florida from Buffalo for only delaying a flight to Buffalo from Ft. Myers Fla. Pick me, pick me please.

On a another note we are going fishin' tomorrow. Cats on the Grand.