Selling a boat

tomkat

I find it strange how many people ask the reason the boat is for sale? Do they want to hear about health issues or financial problems or I just don't use it enough or I want a larger or smaller one? So many nosey time wasters. Instead of relevant questions about the condition or performance of the boat they all want to know the reason for sale which really is none of they're business. I didn't put it on kijiji to avoid these guys but I guess they are everywhere lol!

i think people are inherently concerned that you are selling it for the wrong reasons. the funny thing about that is that if this was the case you wouldn't tell them anyways.

What I hope for when i buy anything used is that the reason the seller is selling is that they simply arent using the item enough to justify owning it.

I find it strange how many people ask the reason the boat is for sale?

I think some people ask to try and gauge the amount of pressure the seller is under, or how urgent it is that they make the sale. That way, they hope to get a feel for how likely it is that a counter-offer will be accepted.

I always ask to gauge the atmosphere of the sale. If it is an honest answer then both parties are made comfortable and it will be a much more pleasant sale. If that is considered rude or it puts someone off then I am not interested in dealing with them.

Art

I guess from my point of view all I am interested in is the condition of the boat and if the price is acceptable to me. In the case of my boat I stated mint condition and still under warranty so the reason for the sale makes no difference. If anyone wanted a like new boat and it is in they're price range come and see it instead of wasting my time with annoying questions. Ah well I I guess I should just learn to relax ! Maybe just keep the boat and go fishing !

I always ask to gauge the atmosphere of the sale. If it is an honest answer then both parties are made comfortable and it will be a much more pleasant sale. If that is considered rude or it puts someone off then I am not interested in dealing with them.

Art

You are probably spending what is to you a considerable amount of money. The question could possibly be a polite one and an attempt to strike up a conversation. It's always nicer to deal with a friend rather than an adversary.

I just read yesterday where 58% of people selling a house would consider taking a lower offer from someone that they felt really "appreciated" the house.

I guess from my point of view all I am interested in is the condition of the boat and if the price is acceptable to me. In the case of my boat I stated mint condition and still under warranty so the reason for the sale makes no difference. If anyone wanted a like new boat and it is in they're price range come and see it instead of wasting my time with annoying questions. Ah well I I guess I should just learn to relax ! Maybe just keep the boat and go fishing !

You appear to be of the mind that you are doing the buyer a favor by selling the boat. While you may feel like that the Buyer feels he is doing you a favor by giving you money for something you no longer want or need. This starts the sale off butting heads. If the seller appears to be glad that someone is giving it a good home and the buyer feels he is helping a person out then it is a happy sale all around. You have the right to be as gruff or put off by the questions and the background of you and the boat but it is the buyer who decides how long the boat sits in your driveway. Answer their questions it will cost you nothing. Make it a pleasant sales atmosphere and you will reap the rewards of an easy sale and closer to your asking price.

Just some advise from my many purchases and sales over the years.

Art

I always try to answer as many questions as I can if I'm selling something. However, there can be a limit to that. I was selling an old ford ranger once and was completely open about all the things that were needing repair. A young man asked me a ton of question and I was patient as I could be, then he asked me if I thought it would be a good starter truck for him. I told him NO and said good bye.

Nope never thought I was doing anyone a favour. Just don't have any use for nosey people asking why my boat is for sale when they have no intention of buying it.

X2 Here

Boats for sale. Want a water test, sure. This is the price. Haggle the price, no problem. Deal or no deal. Thats it.

BOTTOM LINE

I know someone that was interested in buying a boat; he was young and it was going to be his first "significant" purchase. He was curious as to why someone would want to sell what seemed to him to be a "dream boat" so he asked the question. The answer could have been anything that made sense; too big, too small, don't use it enough....... About the only answer he wouldn't have been happy with is "it's no good".

He got the same response as you just gave; "none of your business"! When he asked me what I thought I told him to walk away, you don't want to deal with someone if they aren't willing to talk to you.

Want me to suggest he call the guy back? Might not have even been you but one never knows! Oh and he is an OFCr too.

Nah I'm good thx. The reason I was selling is my wife just finished 6 months of chemotherapy and And I pretty much lost interest in everything. I guess I could share that with potential buyers but didn't want to. And I don't really need to sell the boat anyways. Who knows maybe I'll get interested again.

Nah I'm good thx. The reason I was selling is my wife just finished 6 months of chemotherapy and And I pretty much lost interest in everything. I guess I could share that with potential buyers but didn't want to. And I don't really need to sell the boat anyways. Who knows maybe I'll get interested again.

Totally understandable! I hope everything goes well with your wife's recovery!

First off, all the best to your mrs,s Tom.

Keep it, you will regret it.

Also there was a great member here that was selling a lot of fishing stuff. It never crossed my mind why. He had a deal of a sale for me, so bought it unseen. A simple river rod. A week later or so, he passed on. That rod means much to me. I even had it in my hands this morning drifting a river. Always makes me think of him when I have it out. Oh and it still has mojo. Nice brown trout this morning. :Gonefishing:

I wish you and your wife well for sure. Sharing that as an answer would not sit well with me as well. A shallower answer of I have lost interest is all the info they might need. In the situation you are in you might decide to just keep it till life gets better.

Art