Finally, Cougar proof

smitty55

Cool story smitty!

The expert confirming this is a taxidermist, not someone from the MNR. It seems like the MNR doesn't want any part of this discussion and I don't know why. Just weird. I can't think of a reason for them avoiding the topic.

I didn't know Gord Ellis also worked for the CBC either.

edit- I've got some scat in my freezer from Haliburton. It's not my style to bug the MNR, they gave me the cold shoulder. If anyone has a contact to do a DNA test let me know. If the cost wasn't too stupid I would pay out of pocket.

Edited by chris.brock

As stated in the article, if Cougars are listed on the OMNRF as an endangered species, isn't that proof all along that they are in fact in Ontario?

I was actually surprised to read that part of the article since every post I have ever read stated the MNR wanted nothing to do with stating outright there were these big cats in Ontario.

Hard to walk the woods in high heels

Lollll

when can we get tags for the endangered species hunt!?

i can already see the trophy hunters licking their chops. and measuring another part of their body in the hopes it has grown a millimeter.

thats another debate...we need to be doing everything we can now that we have proof that they exist to protect this species. Weve done our job ruining the population, now its our job to steward them back.

Chris, the reason for the MNR's denial is rumored to be that by denying reports of locations and sightings they can protect this vulnerable species from poachers.

the last thing the MNR wants is to confirm that there is a cougar from manitoulin and then jimbo and his crew of flunkies runs up to manitoulin in the hopes of selling cougar teeth for boner medicine at dundas and spadina.

Edited by AKRISONER

It might be a good thing that the mnr doesnt make a big deal out of it . Look at this algonquin wolf crap. Closing down areas to hunting and trapping coyotes and wolf because of it. Taking cash out of the trappers pockets. If the antis get rolling with this they might do something stupid like cancelling the deer hunt to protect the cougars food source.

Chris, the reason for the MNR's denial is rumored to be that by denying reports of locations and sightings they can protect this vulnerable species from poachers.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

Seems a little silly though. Good luck to the poacher targeting Ontario cougars, probably a better chance for a squatch or a unicorn.

good point grimsby

of course this is all just talk, i really dont have an opinion except for the fact that I am glad to see them back.

Call me crazy...but the reductions of pesticides, the addition of hunting regulations, the idea of conservation is doing wonders to improve animal numbers and their natural habitat...maybe not so much in the GTA where we are growing at an absurd rate, but being in the bush and on the lake weekly for the past 15 years I have noticed a significant incline in the numbers of wildlife I am witnessing. Specifically in areas where humans had ruined or poisoned the native species habitat.

The first 10 years in PAB i never saw a bald eagle, now they are everywhere. We now have wolves frequenting our area, the fishing volume and size has been on a constant incline and this past winter we even found tracks from a lynx.

Edited by AKRISONER

good point grimsby

of course this is all just talk, i really dont have an opinion except for the fact that I am glad to see them back.

Call me crazy...but the reductions of pesticides, the addition of hunting regulations, the idea of conservation is doing wonders to improve animal numbers and their natural habitat...maybe not so much in the GTA where we are growing at an absurd rate, but being in the bush and on the lake weekly for the past 15 years I have noticed a significant incline in the numbers of wildlife I am witnessing. Specifically in areas where humans had ruined or poisoned the native species habitat.

The first 10 years in PAB i never saw a bald eagle, now they are everywhere. We now have wolves frequenting our area, the fishing volume and size has been on a constant incline and this past winter we even found tracks from a lynx.

That's happening here too akri. There was substantial wildlife already in my area, but it's no doubt been booming about the past couple years.

Of course some say that's because the deer population is nuts, and it is. That predators are following them into urban settings

Which may be true. But I also see way more wildlife in the bush these days too

When moose hunts were sketchy at best for 10 years or so, maybe getting skunked in 10 days, now many are getting their moose the first day.

Trappers are reporting crazy numbers of catches.

Also, how bout them elk??? We never had elk really until 15 years ago.they must breed like rabbits because they are everywhere too

Wolves and coyotes are rediculous

One thing im seeing less of is bears

That's happening here too akri. There was substantial wildlife already in my area, but it's no doubt been booming about the past couple years.

Of course some say that's because the deer population is nuts, and it is. That predators are following them into urban settings

Which may be true. But I also see way more wildlife in the bush these days too

When moose hunts were sketchy at best for 10 years or so, maybe getting skunked in 10 days, now many are getting their moose the first day.

Trappers are reporting crazy numbers of catches.

Also, how bout them elk??? We never had elk really until 15 years ago.they must breed like rabbits because they are everywhere too

Wolves and coyotes are rediculous

One thing im seeing less of is bears

I honestly didnt see a bear my first 10 years in PAB...ive seen 6 in the last two years. ill point out that these are not trouble bears, these are bears in the bush in their natural habitat that are curious or most likely can smell the fish that have slimed my boat and are coming down for a peek.

Elk is another great one. i have been hearing that elk population is exploding.

Edited by AKRISONER

I honestly didnt see a bear my first 10 years in PAB...ive seen 6 in the last two years. ill point out that these are not trouble bears, these are bears in the bush in their natural habitat that are curious or most likely can smell the fish that have slimed my boat and are coming down for a peek.

Elk is another great one. i have been hearing that elk population is exploding.

Remember too that animals get pushed out of their habitat naturally, not just by humans. I just read that in 2015 the cougar population in Alberta has tripled since 2005. From 680 animals to 2000+. Through natural expansion, their territory will gradually increase and with very few here, this is a perfect habitat free of competition. I'm no biologist but look what happened to the population of Barrie when housing prices rose in Toronto :D For the record, I only heard about the cougars in Barrie. lol