Spring Walleye Tips

Slimbo85

I have better luck on the Kawarthas in June.

They hang around healthy weeds.

Typical use smaller jigs with grubs or minnows in the early season. I think a slower presentation in the cold water is preferred. Light line. I prefer natural colours. Some guys like white, yellow or chartreuse.

Don't know about Shield lakes.

When does your season open? Cold water is sort of a relative term? They spawn before bass and are more active in cooler water than bass? I have caught them here in Ohio casting and trolling crankbaits in 6-10 feet deep in April, they hadn't moved too far from their spawning areas.

When does your season open? Cold water is sort of a relative term? They spawn before bass and are more active in cooler water than bass? I have caught them here in Ohio casting and trolling crankbaits in 6-10 feet deep in April, they hadn't moved too far from their spawning areas.

The season opener for the kawarthas is the 2nd Saturday in may. Last year from what I can remember it was fairly warm? Not sure about water temps however. Was looking at some pics from my trip from opener last year and I was in shorts and tee.

My favorite in early spring is shallow, right off or in the spawning areas.

Kalina grubs on a jighead, 3" Berkely ripple shads show rolled on a jighead, and bucktails.

I focus on a shallow Rocky shoal just off and Eddie, casting/retrieve from 15fow to 2fow later in the day

I'll switch up these 3 lures throughout the day.

I'll also cast a husky jerk right up to shore and retrieve slow with pauses

Or occasionally the rapala minnow in black/gold.

The husky jerk us green/orange belly

Ripple shads in chartruesse

Kalins grubs in bluegill

Jig heads are always black

The season opener for the kawarthas is the 2nd Saturday in may. Last year from what I can remember it was fairly warm? Not sure about water temps however. Was looking at some pics from my trip from opener last year and I was in shorts and tee.

I do not know where on the Kawarthas you where but I was in a derby with a bunch of guys on Pigeon and we were in blizzard conditions for about 20mins and freezing fingers off... Managed 1 29" Pickeral to win it and almost lost it due to freezing fingers. 2 years ago we where in shorts and t shirts

Edited by Loonietoon

I do not know where on the Kawarthas you where but I was in a derby with a bunch of guys on Pigeon and we were in blizzard conditions for about 20mins and freezing fingers off... Managed 1 29" Pickeral to win it and almost lost it due to freezing fingers. 2 years ago we where in shorts and t shirts

Yes you are correct, my mistake. Was looking at the wrong pics. :oops:

From opening and for a couple of weeks after on Rice Lake we would jump in the boat after supper, motor out to one of the islands, beach the boat and then pull on our chest waders...

We would then proceed to cast a Rapala into the westerly wind while standing in the water...usually got our limit each just before and after dark...We kept them on a stringer tied to our belt...

im finding water close to where they spawned...anywhere that bottle necks them on their journey back to the main lake.

Im rigging drop shotted minnows or dragging worm harnesses in 15-25 fow.

the edge of new weed growth is always a great idea and I found that the best fishing in the spring for them happens on the May 2/4.

same goes for pike thats when we really hammer eyes and pike. Everything is congregated near those new weeds.

One of my best patterns is slow rolling big spinnerbaits over rocky flats, say anywhere from 10-15ft of water. I've caught some giants doing this.

Like walleye spinnerbaits or bass spinnerbaits???

I started using bass spinnerbaits a few years back, and used at the right time, boy do they hammer walleye

Also, using that method(I cast them but not much difference) you'll almost never lose a walleye on a spinnerbait.

My favs are chartruesse, and black/silver 3/8 oz potbellies

Sick akri!!!

This is the first I've ever caught on a spinnerbait.

About 15fow. Caught alot of 3-4 lbers that day all to be released.

I have a photo of one around lbs from that day too. Impossible to find since my Photobucket crapped the bed

And yep it's from shore fishing solo, so the pic sucks lol

FB_IMG_1477101825075_zpspnrcyrsn.jpg

There's nothing in the exceptions about the Severn from the falls down to Big Chute if I can remember, definitely nothing about bait.

Rick, I run the big 3/8oz bass spinnerbaits, nothing fancy. Although I find running willowblades helps with getting down and staying down compared to colorados.

There's nothing in the exceptions about the Severn from the falls down to Big Chute if I can remember, definitely nothing about bait.

Rick, I run the big 3/8oz bass spinnerbaits, nothing fancy. Although I find running willowblades helps with getting down and staying down compared to colorados.

Same here. When ya say "slow rolling" this is the definition lol. Half a crank too fast and the lure surface too quickly.

I only use willows, or a Colorado Willow combo but boy ya gotta reel slow on that one!

Half the time I thinking I'm reeling up a drift sock after hooking them :)

We don't get that here. The bigger walleye typically fight pretty darn good! I've had the odd one feel like a bag of socks but not often.

And by good fight I mean a few headshakes/rolls. It's a walleye, it's not gonna spool ya on 8lb braid lol

We don't get that here. The bigger walleye typically fight pretty darn good! I've had the odd one feel like a bag of socks but not often.

And by good fight I mean a few headshakes/rolls. It's a walleye, it's not gonna spool ya on 8lb braid lol

I get a bunch of drag pullers here. Never the wet sock