Spring Walleye Tips

Slimbo85

June Pickerel on a bass spinner bait as described

attachicon.gifC5266278-14B2-4588-8733-4A327537E933.JPG

funny enough I have caught them in June literally in the pads <5 FOW caught 5 fish in 5 casts...they are agressive and feeding.

My biggest walleye ever was up there on a spinnerbait, 28 inches around 8 pounds, a September fatty. Slow rolling a 3/8 ounce chartreuse & blue down a point.

We don't get that here. The bigger walleye typically fight pretty darn good! I've had the odd one feel like a bag of socks but not often.

And by good fight I mean a few headshakes/rolls. It's a walleye, it's not gonna spool ya on 8lb braid lol

I usually get one big thump and that's about it until it's in the net :) Not complaining, they are a nice surprise sometimes.

NORMALLY, just after spawn walleyes are in a recoup mode and you will be fishing for males still hanging around the shallows.

This means LOW light conditions are best on reefs where minnows might be active . . . . so about 4 - 4:30 am starts casting #11 floating Rapala's to give off more sutlle vibrations when it's dark and cold plus they cast further.

Don't be afraid to cast into 1-2' of water . . .

When light hits, it's time to use 1/8 oz dark all black bucktail jigs . . . . . the winder the better . . . . if you have 2' waves breaking into shoals, you have the spot on the spot and might be able to just drift said jigs.

You never heard any of this from the G man.............................

Mb2 I use the exact tactics as you do. On opening day Im fishing a large river 3rd sat in may. Sometimes they can be really hard to find on O day. So many variables to deal with river fishing. All my biggest walleye have been caught mid day in under 5 ft while chasing Northerns.