Gander Mountain Files For Bankruptcy

craigdritchie

Sad news today ...

Gander Mountain, along with its boating equipment subsidiary, Overton’s, files for Chapter 11 protection.

Gander Mountain, a Minnesota-based retail company focusing on small boats, fishing equipment and other outdoor equipment, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The company operates 162 stores in 26 states in the US.

The company also filed for bankruptcy for Overton’s, a wholly owned subsidiary that sells boating and watersports equipment. Gander Mountain attempted to sell the company last year, but could not find a buyer.

Gander Mountain said in a statement that it will close 32 “underperforming” stores as part of its restructuring plans. It said that it will remain open, but has put the business up for sale.

"The court's protections will enable us to manage the sale process on an expedited basis while protecting the interests of our customers, employees and other stakeholders," Gander Mountain explained in the statement. The company said it is in active discussions with several potential buyers. It expects to hold an auction in late April.

The outdoor retail sector has seen significant changes lately. Cabela’s, a direct competitor to Gander Mountain, is being acquired by Bass Pro Shops, sister company to Tracker Marine Group. Several analysts wondered whether Gander Mountain’s bankruptcy would impact the Cabela’s/Bass Pro deal since the US government is already exploring monopoly concerns over the acquisition.

Gander Mountain said it expects to hold an auction in late April, with a closing by May 15.

It's nice to have shopping choices, and Gander Mountain wasn't a bad one.

Gander Mountain files Ch. 11 bankruptcy, closing 32 stores - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

http://www.chroniclet.com/Local-News/2016/10/07/Sheffield-Gander-Mountain-closing-new-Cabela-s-blamed.html

They finally opened a Cabelas near me last year in time for the Christmas shopping season, it's not really surprising that the Gander Mountain closest to them closed around the same time? Never saw a tour bus at a Gander Mountain store here.

I always preferred Gander Mountain and Cabelas for hunting gear over the offerings of Bass Pro, but that was years ago when names like Columbia, Abercrombie and Fitch and L.L. Bean catered to the outdoors hunter's and fishermen's needs rather than designer clothes for the latte sucking,urban yuppie crowd. :wallbash:

Bummer, I stop in the Tonawanda store several times a year when I'm down fishing. It's always been a great store!

looks like that one will still be open

list of stores to be closing

• Alabama (4) – Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa
  • Georgia (3) – Augusta, McDonough, Snellville
  • Illinois (3) – Champaign, Algonquin, Springfield
  • Indiana (2) – Merrillville, Greenfield
  • Minnesota (3) – Rogers, Mankato, Woodbury
  • New York (1) – New Hartford
  • North Carolina (2) – Raleigh, South Charlotte
  • Tennessee (1) – Chattanooga
  • Texas (10) – Houston, Killeen, Laredo, Lubbock, Round Rock, San Antonio, Sugar Land, Texarkana, Waco, West Houston
  • West Virginia (1) – Charleston
  • Wisconsin (2) – Eau Claire, Germantown

looks like that one will still be open

list of stores to be closing

• Alabama (4) – Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, Tuscaloosa
  • Georgia (3) – Augusta, McDonough, Snellville
  • Illinois (3) – Champaign, Algonquin, Springfield
  • Indiana (2) – Merrillville, Greenfield
  • Minnesota (3) – Rogers, Mankato, Woodbury
  • New York (1) – New Hartford
  • North Carolina (2) – Raleigh, South Charlotte
  • Tennessee (1) – Chattanooga
  • Texas (10) – Houston, Killeen, Laredo, Lubbock, Round Rock, San Antonio, Sugar Land, Texarkana, Waco, West Houston
  • West Virginia (1) – Charleston
  • Wisconsin (2) – Eau Claire, Germantown

Didn't check them all, but there seems to be some logic involved? Alabama, Georgia, have multiple BPS stores, Texas has 7, and there is a BPS not far from the store in New Hartford New York, in near by Utica.

I kind of steered clear of gander as they were always out of the most relevant stuff for local fishing needs. For example, theyd always sell out of cleos or moonshine spoons when pier season kicked off and NEVER restocked........once they were out, they were out for the year. Steelhead season came, needed drennan floats.........they were out within days of any anticipation of the season...........and again, once they were out they were out for good till next year. I dunno, i guess its a big box store complaint more than it is a specific gander gripe, but it seemed to really be an issue at gander.

Regardless it looks like my store is not on the cut list........we shall see

Blaque, sounds like you need to start shopping earlier :) :) I always stop in the Gander in Tonawanda if I'm fishing out that way. Great store.

that "sounds" logical......but when i do that , it seems i always get the "those havent come in yet" or "keep checking back" or "the truck is supposed to be here wednesday" HAHA

I have empathy for the employees, they are the real losers when this happens. I have been to the Tonawanda store a few times when I visit relatives there. They have nothing that I can't get from my local tackle shop. Of course there is far greater choice, too many choices for me, and sometimes prices. Adding 30% there makes prices here palpable, but I won't miss it. For me less choice is easier shopping, I do not enjoy shopping. If I need something I go out and buy it after I find it online.