There now I did it again

Big Cliff

Well it was sort of short notice, I found out Saturday that I was going to have today off. Beagle dad (well according to his wife) wanted to get out ice fishing and she'd mentioned a couple of times that he was waiting for me to invite him so I did. Unfortunately I didn't find out until Sunday that he wasn't comfortable out on the ice so it was a no go.

Called my buddy Jim, he had a dental appointment, called my friend Bob, he was waiting for someone to come and pick up a van he had sold, By now it was 9:00 Sunday and I'm ready for bed.

Got up this morning and decided to take a chance and drive up to Beaverton and see if Tim Hale had a hut available, turned out he did so out I went. I ended up in the same hut as Jim and I'd had last week but fishing today was a lot slower, I kind of expected that with the cold front that had come in.

By about 1:00 pm I only had 37 perch and a lot of those were small most fish were about 8-9" (I'd only kept 10 fish at that point). Tim came by to see how I was doing and asked if I'd like to try one of the huts they had just relocated so I decided I might as well.

Turned out to be a good choice, within minutes a double header, both fish around 11", in the next two and a half hours I managed to land another 44 fish most of which were 12+" and came home with 20 very nice perch.

Another wonderful day on the ice and some more perch fillets for the freezer :)

Only 37 by 1pm sounds great! Sounds like fun!

I am heading out to cooks bay this Friday with my wife and girls. Will be the first time for the girls, so hoping for some beginners luck! The wife always catches more than I do :whistling: .

Hoping to get lucky and hook into a pike along with some perch.

Edited by huzzsaba

Sweet! Tim is always moving his huts around. We did well out there saturday as well. Kept 25 real nice ones and released the rest. 25 is my cut off. Thats enough for a couple meals and I can clean them all in less than an hour. I'm itching for some reel peel now. Going north this weekend for 4 days. Can't wait!!

Very nice of Tim to offer a different hut on the new spot too! Congrats

Many many years ago we went to Simcoe east side. Back then heating was a guess what you got. Went out and this guy had and oil drip contraption oils would drip and was ignited if you wated more heat turned on more oild. Well out knob got stuck and we had lots of heat, flame out of the chimney heat lol

He came out and just started giving us the third degree why did you touch it .. . Maybe it was cold and that is what you told us to do!

He offered us a different hut, oil fumes we not good for us lol.

Many many years ago we went to Simcoe east side. Back then heating was a guess what you got. Went out and this guy had and oil drip contraption oils would drip and was ignited if you wated more heat turned on more oild. Well out knob got stuck and we had lots of heat, flame out of the chimney heat lol

He came out and just started giving us the third degree why did you touch it .. . Maybe it was cold and that is what you told us to do!

He offered us a different hut, oil fumes we not good for us lol.

Oh I wouldn't have liked that, had an oil space heater explode and burn my house to the ground when I was about 24, we got out with nothing but the clothes on our backs (and I mean literally)! No fire insurance, lost everything we had except for our lives and some good friends. I have hated oil ever since.

Tim's huts all have 2 burner propane stoves in them and propane lights. Nothing nicer than sitting in the hut on a cold day and enjoying a hot cup of soup or some Bushes beans (mama adds a few little extras to them :whistling: ). I have a soft sided cooler dedicated just to ice fishing: tea bags, sugar, cup-o-soups,.... all the things you might want if you were stranded in the bush somewhere, (no, no booze, not even for snake bite LOL). The only problem I have when fishing at Tim's is trying to eat anything and hanging on to my rod at the same time. (Ok I guess that doesn't qualify as a problem :blahblah1: )