Do you have a preferred boat brand?

Tjames09

Don't even think about a Tracker. Many that own them say they are fine what I see out there on Bass Pro's showroom floors are a disaster when it comes to fit, finish and quality of materials. Even Lada's were shinny coming off the assembly lines in Russia.

I read that you want to put 4 people in a 16' boat. You better max out on HP if you want to do that. It will also feel like you are in a sardine can with 4 on board.

I have to give you this, you like shopping. For what you want, like it or not your budget is 5 grand low for what your wish list is. You say boats are over priced on Kijiji, not really they are selling for what the market will support. My neighbour just sold his 2004' 16 foot Lund with a 90 Yamaha for a few grand more than he paid for it 10 years ago, in 4 days. We used to bring boats and cars north from the US, now the trade route is going the other way, especially late model pick up and apparently now boats too. A pick up 6 years or newer are all going south at a 40% profit so says my GM guy. They are basically giving me 75% of what I paid in 2012, problem is a new truck of the same model is that much more money. I saw a 2017 F-150 1/2 ton today with a sticker price of $72,000.00 plus, plus. A pick up truck and not a Ferrari. I wouldn't want to be 21 again and starting out in life that's for sure, I have total empathy.

Not sure what a black anchor is. Theres a 2004 Tracker Targa listed with a 115. Its a 17.5' boat. Little older than I was looking, but has the size and space Id need, and the price is right.

I know people arent crazy on tracker, or mercury lol. This has both.

I owned a 1989 16ft tracker aluminum with the original 30hp Johnson. I put down new floor/carpeting and rewired the whole thing but structurally it was a great boat. Someone who owned it before me must have hit a rock but it was repaired and never had an issue with that spot. Sold it for more than I paid+invested so I can't say anything bad about tracker boats, but that's just my experience.

However staying away from Tracker does seem to be a common theme in a lot of boating/fishing forums..maybe there's something to it.

Edited by FishFinder17

Like many brands of most consumer products quality and workmanship seem to have slacked as it also may have when it comes to Tracker boats. Looking at how they are built on the showroom is proof, I can't believe these are the best that they have to display. And they have always came woefully under powered from the showrooms, getting you to upgrade and thus the price gets to what it should be. I remember reading the adds for Trackers in the 80's in the Sun and drooling over them and the prices, thousands below other boats new. I remember also the old timers at work explaining why a 25 HP wouldn't move a 17 foot boat with a full wind screen very well. A 16 foot like FishFinder has with a 30 HP would be very underpowered in my opinion. We are rebuilding a 16 foot Smoker Craft and it is going to have a 90 on her. I think the Transport Canada tag max says 115 Horse.

A black anchor would be an old Mercury engine, thus only good for an anchor. A white anchor a Johnson a silver anchor a Mariner. Old boat guys jokes.

I owned a 1989 16ft tracker aluminum with the original 30hp Johnson. I put down new floor/carpeting and rewired the whole thing but structurally it was a great boat. Someone who owned it before me must have hit a rock but it was repaired and never had an issue with that spot. Sold it for more than I paid+invested so I can't say anything bad about tracker boats, but that's just my experience.

However staying away from Tracker does seem to be a common theme in a lot of boating/fishing forums..maybe there's something to it.

Tracker has had a problem with cracked hulls. They are often referred to as "Cracker" boats.

Some say that only certain years and models had a problem. Others recommend staying away from Tracker altogether.

Do you 'long time members' recall young_one and his fiberglass tracker sinking to the bottom of BOQ (in Nov years ago) as the safety foam to keep it a float failed? His was new from the showroom and that wasn't the only problem he had with that boat.

Oh wow, okay, I will steer clear of this Tracker. Dont need any headaches.

I should probably add its not 4 adults. Its two adults (well one is my wife), and 2 small kids, maybe some of the time ( nieces and nephew). Mainly its just me and my wife.

TJames, that G3 and Polar Craft Moxie gave you leads for both look good on paper. Not exactly down the road to go take a look. The G3 is exactly like Italo Labignons and he loves it. The advantage of it is the wind shield, especially for keeping the family dry. The disadvantage is the windshield. Extra weight, less fishing room with less HP with that 90. The Polar Craft is a good quality vessel, many say no, that isn't my opinion but I have never owned either, my opinion comes as a passenger and a fisherman and not an owner. The biggest plus for it is the extra room to fish and a 115 Horse O/B. But the kids can't hunker behind the full windshield, nor your wife. I chose full wind shield over working size for the sake of my 1st mate and haven't regretted it, especially when the wind is up and the water is cold. Buddy Ted has a 21 foot Star Craft very similar to mine but a walk around, he stays dry but no one else. Get to Quebec ASAP. Both are very nice boats, tough choice James, very tough to choose, condition, condition, condition and a splash for certain. Running a boat in the driveway and running her in the water under load can make a huge difference. Like idling a car in a driveway and going out on the 400. I would lean towards the G3, you can always swap out the 90 for a 115 in 10 years but you can't make her longer. When the kids are almost full size you can upgrade then or get smaller kids.

Are you good to tow it with what you have now? I got a new truck out of my deal just for towing, the old 1/2 ton wasn't the truck for my 19 footer with it's age and 500K on her, as much as about brakes than her weight capacity.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I didn't look at either link but G3 is Yamaha I think and when I was in the market a few years ago it was the top on my list. The wife nixed that and now she's and ex and I have a different boat ;) But the G3 series/brand looked well made BUT never rode in one.

Thanks guys. Seems a lot of manufacturers put 60hp motors on boats of similar size, I guess Ill run into this issue regardless of brand.

I was looking at a new smokercraft 161 xl (the 90" beam), and it also only had a 60hp motor. Its a bigger boat with same engine.

my buddy has an underpowered 16 foot smokercraft with a 60 on it. the thing cant get on plane with 1 person on the boat, it just frigging bounces around and feels like you are getting into a car crash every time you hit a ripple of water. I hate the damn thing.

Also the finishes are garbage, the carpet is wearing entirely off all over the place and the front deck is rotting out. Not a fan at all.

An older Smoker Craft is being rebuilt at the shop right now. It isn't that old either and came in like she was rode hard and put away wet. They don't seem to age well. It will be a nice boat once done, basically a body off restoration if it was a car. I voted to have it blasted with crushed Corn to the bare Aluminium and won the vote. I want to see any cracks, loose rivets under all that paint before we put a young family in it on the water.

Those were just a couple of examples of what is available if you're willing to put in some road time. My Crestie was an American boat this big boat marina in Sarnia purchased along with an Ultracraft and they both sat there for a few months under the shadows of Boston Whalers and Sea Rays. Called for info, set up an appointment and headed to Sania to look at it, second time for a water test and the final trip was to tow it home. The deal was more than fair and the marina took care of the paperwork on their end. All I had to do was show up, pay and sign. Good luck.

I have had lots of boats in the last 40 yrs and this is my opinion.

Boats I have had and would advise to stay away from.

Princecraft, Smokercraft, Princecraft would not honour their warranty on a cracked hull while still under warranty and they are all bling and nice paint but have a nice wet ride. Smokercraft pure junk. Had two 14 fters at the cottage and both were leaking within 2 years from the same location. sold them and replaced with StarCraft, No issues. Never owned a Tracker aluminum but there junk as well. Even my local tracker dealer sells Crestliners and no tracker aluminum but sells Nitro line of glass boats. I have a 14 ft Rebel lund with a 25hp for bush fishing and its tough as a nail, but is an 89. The newer lunds are way over priced if you ask me. Save your money and be patient and buy used. Let someone else get ripped off on the price of a new boat. I have looked at the Kingfishers and am really impressed with them. If I was in the market for a tinny I would be looking at them for sure. Might have to go to B.C. to find a used one. Lots of them out west. They used to be called Harbourcraft before they went together with Kingfisher.

Smokercraft pure junk. Had two 14 fters at the cottage and both were leaking within 2 years from the same location. sold them and replaced with StarCraft, No issues.

Interestly, StarCraft and Smokercraft, along with Sylvan, are all one company. I do think that StarCraft are their premium line though.

Interestly, StarCraft and Smokercraft, along with Sylvan, are all one company. I do think that StarCraft are their premium line though.

my tinner is a starcraft and I havent had any issues with the hull yet in 12 years. Thing is dry as a bone still and gets worked over hard every weekend.

I never hear any complaints about starcrafts. I have had the same one since 95, the boat motor and trailer are all '93. Bullet proof. I hunt and fish out of mine, and Im on the water at least 100 days a year, from ice out till ice up. I've broken plenty of ice, and landed on many rocky shorelines, beaches, etc....you name it, this boat has done it. She's not pretty, but reliable, and tough as nails.

S.

To answer the OP's actual question. My favorite brand of boats is a StarCraft. There are many SC owners and I have never heard of one complain about them, mine is going on 23 years old with the original 115HP Mariner and original everything else, I think Sinker and I have basically the same boat. Ooops I have a complaint. The zipper on my convertible top is stuck I found out today and the 23 year old rug is worn at the fuel filler, a bit. I don't tend to abuse mine cosmetically because it is probably my last boat. I've had plenty of Kudo's at the ramp. Last week I was offered more than I paid for it 9 years ago. Then what am I going to do? Replace it for more than 50 grand?

There are currently 4 StarCraft's in our group of fisher buddies here. Mine is he newest, the serial number says 94 the registration says 95. The production year of your boat is the last 2 numbers on the serial number stamping. Most aluminums serial numbers are stamped and riveted on the starboard side on the transom. Glass boats serial numbers can be found on the port side inside the splash well usually.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I have looked at the Kingfishers and am really impressed with them. If I was in the market for a tinny I would be looking at them for sure. Might have to go to B.C. to find a used one. Lots of them out west. They used to be called Harbourcraft before they went together with Kingfisher.

I had a MGR from KingFisher call into my work one day and we spoke for about 30 min on the boats (my job is to sell him a service he's looking for but I changed that up quick when I looked at the caller ID). You could hear in his voice how proud he was that a guy from ON was aware of the brand and how passionate he was about the brand. Worth a look for sure if you can find one that doesn't take days to get to travel time wise.

I had a MGR from KingFisher call into my work one day and we spoke for about 30 min on the boats (my job is to sell him a service he's looking for but I changed that up quick when I looked at the caller ID). You could hear in his voice how proud he was that a guy from ON was aware of the brand and how passionate he was about the brand. Worth a look for sure if you can find one that doesn't take days to get to travel time wise.

I hope you got the sale. You got the "develop report with the customer" part down.

Was looking @ the Legend utility boats on-line today.

They look very well built from what I can tell. The aluminium is much thicker than any of the other tinnies I was looking at.

A 14 footer with 0.100" aluminium is a decent boat if you ask me.

Especially when others I was looking @ were 0.061".

I hope you got the sale. You got the "develop report with the customer" part down.

LoL, I did and HH can attest to your 'rapport' part too from our few years working together

*edit to add* I honestly didn't care if I got the sale during that call. I wanted info and so did he on my products. It was a win - win for both of us

Edited by GBW

Good for you Geoff. So that's how you spell rapport.

Big Dave, there is a Marina here in Port Dover that builds utility boats on site, or they did, but I know they have them in their compound. All aluminum and built like Humvees. The Province bought a few for MNR. Italo had one for a while. One is a front end loader if you know what I mean, don't know the proper marine jargon. I saw a video where they were using it as a Ice Breaker. Bridges Yachts Port Dover Ontario.

Big Dave, there is a Marina here in Port Dover that builds utility boats on site, or they did, but I know they have them in their compound. All aluminum and built like Humvees. The Province bought a few for MNR. Italo had one for a while. One is a front end loader if you know what I mean, don't know the proper marine jargon. I saw a video where they were using it as a Ice Breaker. Bridges Yachts Port Dover Ontario.

Gee this brought back memories. Spent a few summers when I was a teenager working with my uncle in Dover. He had his own welding business and we worked on quite a few fishing boats.