Kevin O'Leary declares

Big Cliff

I wouldnt doubt, much like Trump, this is more a business decision than it is "for the well being of the Country".

Imagine being uber rich, business contacts worldwide in all major sectors, then you gain power of a country.

The gains that could be made afterwards financially could be huge and of unreal benefit to a business man.

Just like Trump donating his presidential earnings. It looks good publicly but he knows he has much more to gain financially afterwards than a measily 450 thousand dollars.

Im not sure at what point in history this began happening? But business and government is just an open door of power and business recycling itself

The liberals can run all the old conservative attack adds on Dion,Ignatieff and Trudeau against him.

Ask a politician how well that ignore everything I've ever said thing works.

If there is any old video of O'leary saying we can't make things in Ca. we have to make it in China He's toast.

I think Canadians will follow suit with how the US voted. More than vote in Trump they voted out the Washington establishment. If O'Leary wins the nomination he will be the next Prime Minister of Canada. There are a uh, a uh few uh members here that uh can uh beat uh Jr. That uh is getting embarrassing.

More name dropping, I got to know him a bit over a few cold ones after the shows in the 80's when I worked security for the Don Cherry Show filmed at his restaurant on Walnut and Main in downtown Hamilton. He ran the film crew and had a head full of hair. It took me a long time to realize it was him until I read his book. He was much nicer than Don Cherry, The Grapes we see on TV is a character he made up for TV. If you weren't one of his guests or one of the young models standing there he wouldn't give you the time of day. The brunette is my ex.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Here is Arlene Dickinson's take on Kevin's leadership quest, quite an insight from a person who sit with him for hours.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/kevin-o-leary-conservative-run-arlene-dickinson-opinion-1.3942349

Great article, thanks. It's one thing to have a hunch about someone, it's another thing to have someone who worked with him so closely confirm it.

I used to watch him on Lang and O'Leary.

Some of the stuff he said, you could easy see where his values lay.

Personally, I would never vote for him.

I don't even think he will be fun to watch.

Hopefully Canadians don't follow the American lead.

Its good we have a few months to see how this Trump character rolls before a decision has to be made

Wowza, she sure didn't pull any punches. Me thinks that Kevin isn't on Arlene's Christmas card list. You don't usually read such honest statements from one co worker about another in such a public forum, Wowza again.

I still think he will win though. He probably would be the best Minister of Finance this country has ever seen but no way he is a guy that is going to answer to anyone. It killed him answering to the executives at Mattel when he had to stay on for a year or so in order for his software sale of a billon dollars to close. It drove him nuts.

His book is an easy read. I recommend it strongly.

"KEVIN O'LEARY, THE COLD HARD TRUTH on Business, money & life." Published by Doubleday books Canada. Hey I just noticed mines autographed, it might be worth something someday. It was a gift from my Sis in Law. There's even a pic of her and he. His hand is behind her in a very strategic position. Usually I pass hard cover books on but it was a gift so I didn't. I need to re read it.

I think Canadians will follow suit with how the US voted. More than vote in Trump they voted out the Washington establishment. If O'Leary wins the nomination he will be the next Prime Minister of Canada. There are a uh, a uh few uh members here that uh can uh beat uh Jr. That uh is getting embarrassing.

More name dropping, I got to know him a bit over a few cold ones after the shows in the 80's when I worked security for the Don Cherry Show filmed at his restaurant on Walnut and Main in downtown Hamilton. He ran the film crew and had a head full of hair. It took me a long time to realize it was him until I read his book. He was much nicer than Don Cherry, The Grapes we see on TV is a character he made up for TV. If you weren't one of his guests or one of the young models standing there he wouldn't give you the time of day. The brunette is my ex.

Funny how that goes. I met don as a youngin in AA bantam and he wined and dined as as if my gramps was the best thing ever to happen to hockey.

No cameras, no naddas. Amazingly nice guy

That is good to hear Rick. He sure didn't act like that around the hired help. His mother was still alive then and living not 10 minutes from the bar. He barked at one of the production crew once telling them to take his Mom a meal from the kitchen to her at home. The guy said he was busy setting up and would do it as soon as he was done. He was fired on the spot in front of everyone. He came back a few shows latter though. I am really glad to hear he was good with you kids, that's the most important thing, how he treated the kids. That would have been around 15 or so years latter, I hope he had changed and maybe he did. I have to say good for him.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

That is good to hear Rick. He sure didn't act like that around the hired help. His mother was still alive then and living not 10 minutes from the bar. He barked at one of the production crew once telling them to take his Mom a meal from the kitchen to her at home. The guy said he was busy setting up and would do it as soon as he was done. He was fired on the spot in front of everyone.

Thats brutal.

I can only go off my experience and I guess I choose to remember it that way lol.

My gramps and great uncle played pro hockey in europe waaay back, maybe 52 ish. My other cousin did as well and actually made the back up roster for the red wings.

After that he either started, or bought northland hockey sticks, I cant recall??

Anyways I was in TO with my gramps and he had a surprise for me. And thats what it was. Dinner with don. He was amazing to us, and boy did they chug the beers.

He donated one of his damn ugly suits to our town years later lol.

Maybe the fame got the best of him?

But he sure is good to the kiddos, and I respect that!

Seriously, if a member starts to bash trump and american politics the thread gets shut down. Not so much with the candian politics. I get enough garbage about the butthat O'leary from regular news and I sure as you know what do not need to read trash on OFC regarding Canadian politics., Come on Art where is your axe???

I do not follow Canadian politics I rely on the Canadian Moderators to police them for content I can only lock them when rules are broken or if I get 3 reports or P.M.s I have counted yours as the first one. Remember at the bottom of the post is a report button feel free to use it. It is how we are alerted the next time we check in and read.

Art

I don't think he would make a very good finance minister either old Ironmaker.

It takes a lot more than understanding the stock market to be a finance minister.

You also have to decide how much money gets spent on social services, health care, welfare, in the best interest of the country and people involved.

He doesn't strike me as the type that would spend a whole bunch on welfare.

As with Trump, if his promise holds true, 20 million people will be without health care at the end of the week. He says he has a better plan but nobody has seen it yet.

I don't like to vote for somebody with a "trust me, I have a better plan". Let me see the plan first

I added to the post saying he might have changed.

Art my statements were not as much opinion as fact, first hand experience. I don't see where it was a personal attack on Don Cherry or O' Leary. I am probably wrong. The statements Arlene Dickinson made are what I would call a personal attack. Statements where because of the public forum she spoke in her personal opinion may be deemed legally damaging to his reputation. PM me and explain to where I was out of line. Or share it here, that way we can all see what you deem a personal attack. I need to re read my post closely.

Heck you might not even be referring to me, I can be so defensive. When we were kids and a Cop stopped us we would say "we didn't do it" Do what?

Dara, you lost me when you said a Politian takes the "best interests of the country and the people involved". When will that be kicking in I wonder?

If it will be profitable to spend on social programs he would. Someone profits building new schools, hospitals, community centres, health clinics, new transportation systems, public infrastructure and the list goes on. Working people pay taxes, many of those not working need public funds to live. Therein spending on social programs can be profitable in a myriad of ways.

I don't think he would make a very good finance minister either old Ironmaker.

It takes a lot more than understanding the stock market to be a finance minister.

You also have to decide how much money gets spent on social services, health care, welfare, in the best interest of the country and people involved.

He doesn't strike me as the type that would spend a whole bunch on welfare.

As with Trump, if his promise holds true, 20 million people will be without health care at the end of the week. He says he has a better plan but nobody has seen it yet.

I don't like to vote for somebody with a "trust me, I have a better plan". Let me see the plan first

Are you forgetting how "obama care" was approved?

I added to the post saying he might have changed.

Art my statements were not as much opinion as fact, first hand experience. I don't see where it was a personal attack on Don Cherry or O' Leary. I am probably wrong. The statements Arlene Dickinson made are what I would call a personal attack. Statements where because of the public forum she spoke in her personal opinion may be deemed legally damaging to his reputation. PM me and explain to where I was out of line. Or share it here, that way we can all see what you deem a personal attack. I need to re read my post closely.

Heck you might not even be referring to me, I can be so defensive. When we were kids and a Cop stopped us we would say "we didn't do it" Do what?

It is your guilty conscious speaking I am in this case not referring to you. lol. I rarely name names and if I have an issue with a poster I talk to them in P.M. Most cases what I say in a post is to keep the pot from boiling over.

Art

Arlene Dickinson-----"Now, the self-professed billionaire, who couldn't part with $10,000, thinks he's the best person to lead our country. A person that's genuinely unconcerned with the lives of others wants a position that is solely about the lives of others."

Well said, IMO.

Is it possible that we'll get someone even more cold-hearted than Harper?? Tell me it ain't so!

Cliff, it would be fantastic if you'd quit constantly dredging up your political beliefs. Honestly, your actually wrecking OFC for me. Can't say if I've been here for quite as long as you but so far as I know your seniority doesn't grant you the right to continuously break the rules regarding political threads.