Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar Fish Finder or DI Fish Finder for ice fishing?

PUMP KNOWS

I found these 2 units at my local CT.

Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar Fish Finder $159.93

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-SONAR/

Humminbird Helix 5 DI Fish Finder $194.93

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-DI/

I was looking to convert one of them for ice fishing. Anyone have any experience with these units? Which one would you recommend?

I'm a complete noob when it comes to fish finders.

I have a Helix 5 SI that I use in the boat and for ice fishing.

I'm not the most tech savvy, I have played with the settings, but I have no use for SI or DI in the boat or on the ice.

I really like the unit though and that's a great price (a hell of a lot less than I paid, lol)

IMO nothing beats slowly wiggling a jig right infront of a fishes nose raising it off the bottom to get it to trigger to strike all in real time with a flasher. But to each their own. I fished with a graph and it was great for reaction strikes, but that super finnesse take is always a challenge without a flasher.

A high quality graph (like the Helix) will provide just as much detail as a flasher, especially if you dial in the zoom properly. Even my crappy little PirahnaMax. I understand why people prefer flashers, and if I could afford a good quality flasher and a portable unit for backlake ID have both, but I can't so a good portable graph does both very well

Thanks for the heads up I just grabbed one at local store for the ice / thinner duty little trouble getting them to pricematch. nice upgrade from the old piraña max.

If you contact humminbird in Burlington,they will exchange the open water transducer for an ice ducer for no charge if the transducer is unused!

Edited by porkpie