When do bass 'shut down'?

SirCranksalot

I know a few spots on my lake where they spend the winter and feed consistently if the presentation is very slow. I avoid these spots because they are OOS and it's deeper water so they come up with their swim bladder popping out of their mouth. I'm talking SMB.

Edited by chris.brock

The bass club I used to fish with held open tournaments in late December, I know people here that catch largemouth while ice fishing. Picture casting blade baits in December and winning a bass tournament? They were active enough to chase them, or reaction strikes?

Ice limits boat usage, snow can too! Ramps aren't a top priority for snow removal here in December.

We rarely ice up down here but they bite year round. Deep water and slow presentations are the ticket. A depth finder and patients is the key. Using a bladed jig or a slow dropping senko should give you results.

Art

Just don't get stuck in a nonproductive pattern in cold water. On my favorite lake, I can usually find big smallies and get them to bite with one of a couple of presentations (jigging spoon, small jig). They are usually in specific areas, at specific depths, and can be bunched up. Last Novemeber, I took a couple of other yak fishers to the lake, told them about the pattern, then proceeded to wash lures for the next 1.5 hours. Out of frustration, I tied on a preacher jig and headed into the shallows to look for pike, just to make the rod bend and warm myself up. Bam! Smallie in 3 FOW. The next 45 minutes was some of the best action I had all year, with all the bass hitting softly but consistently in 3-5 FOW, well away from the nearest drop off. Water temp: 52 F.

Well I have a conflicting opinion. I struggle to catch bass in the kawarthas (I surrender) during the late fall, but have no trouble catching them on the deeper lakes north of the kawarthas. They do pack up like someone mentioned, because you can usually catch numerous fish in one spot.

they are tough...but boy once you finally find them...holy crepe hold on

Weve gone entire twelve hour days in the fall without seeing one, but then weve found them in 30FOW on bait and weve nailed a 20lb bag in 6 casts.

weve also found them gorging on gobies in 3 FOW...hook into one and see a school of 6 4+lb bass chasing the one on...its madness.

Ive got a week next week to try find the footballs again...we shall see what happens.

Edited by AKRISONER

Hi there, probably the location becomes very important in the autumn. I fish bass on the Grand RIver in a few spots (deep and shallow) between Glen Morris and Paris and I've been doing relatively well for a rookie in the last two years - but only until the middle of October. Nowadays I try a lot of baits - deep and shallow spinnerbaits, a tandem spinnerbait, 4-5 kinds of dropshotting, crankbaits - but it is like a dead river.