Salmon leader question

Rizzo

Went salmon fishing on Lake O yesterday, and unfortunately got snapped off...would rather not have that happen again! I was trolling a dipsey/flasher/fly rig. I had strong braid up to the dipsey, then from the dipsey to the flasher I had 25 lb mono, then from the flasher to the fly I had ???lb (that part came with the fly). Anywho, I got snapped off in the section between the dipsey and the flasher (the 25 lb mono part). That meant I lost both the flasher and the fly. Was this just a fluke? Or is this something I could expect more often? I did not have my drag cranked right down. It was strong enough to pull the dipsey but not too much more. In hindsight, I suppose there was no need to have that mono section...I could have gone braid right up to the flasher. And what about braid right up to the lure? Does anyone just use braid right up to the lure? 50 lb braid has a thinner diameter than 25lb mono, maybe I should forget these leaders and just tie right to the braid? Thoughts? Not sure a snubber would have helped either, because the drag from the flasher probably would have pulled the snubber tight anyways.

it happens . might have been a nick in the line or the weak point at the knot. .,. I use 40lb big game for everything except the leader where I use 17 lb fluoro for the best action on the bait. My drag is set the that if the dipsey passes through a different current the clicker will tick a couple times. And I still have a break off at least once a year. So far I am down two nuclear green set ups this year, the most recent being yesterday.

Don't forget as the season progresses their teeth get bigger before the spawn.

A spoon protects the line.

Meat or fly lines are exposed to those teeth with a deep bite.

Charlie Wray told me at a fishing show to use fluorocarbon leader material to connect to flasher if not using spoons. Especially in August.

Makes sense.

I use a snubber off my dipsies always. I have fished with guys who run heavy mono off the dipsy with no snubber, but there is a lot of pressure on that section of line when a big fish decides to go south! I haven't had many fish break off with a snubber. If they do, its always been at the fly.

S.

sounds like I need to take er up a notch in strength. Wasn't a bite off because happened between dipsey and flasher. Wasn't the knot because it broke off halfway down the line. Weak spot? Maybe but I made it new that day so didn't have a lot of time to fray up! Think I just need to go heavier and maybe add a snubber!

Some people love snubbers I hate them....unless it becomes a "thing " where it's happens often I wouldn't worry. I'd guess your drag was a little to aggressive . I loose a flasher a year I'd say usually on the first hit when my drags are too tight. I had a first a few weeks back...fish pulled the spit ring attaching the treble on a mag spoon.....????

sounds like this is something that happens. My usual fishing is musky with 80 lb braid with 150 lb fluoro leaders...never had a break off. This salmon thing is new to me, will increase the line strength and see if that helps. Losing a flasher/fly is like losing a good musky lure...$$$$$

I always run snubbers as well and have for well over 20yrs .... And never had an issue they do their job and protect against southbound salmon when you are going northbound ... Sounds to me like you may ha e had your drag a bit to tight or just a bad spot in line I also run braid to the dipsey and mono back to the bait usually 30-40lb big game or floro depending on what I set up I am running