Need advise for keeping leeches off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

misfish

Well it looks like I had a couple of them get attached to my upper calves sometime this weekend. Only noticed this morning. I wear neoprene socks that cover my feet and half my calves, and never thought they would get on me. Anyone have advise what to smear on my legs to prevent them from latching on? How long would vasoline last? Also any concerns about them latching on?

Going to keep some salt packs now in a glad bag just incase.

Thanks.

Don't think a couple could do any harm to you Brian, but the wife may wonder what kind of kinky fishing you've been doing when she sees the marks.

Were they still on you when you noticed ?

Drink lots of newfie screech before getting in the water. That should keep the little buggers away, or ......it could backfire and they may call their buddies over for a party ! :lol:

Maybe try a heavy application with one of those sunscreens that doesn't wash off easily. Can't taste very good to something that's used to sucking blood.

At least you have an easy way of catching bait. ;)

this is in the pontoon I'm assuming? or wading?

they actually make something called leech socks, basically just a cotton gaiter with a couple draw strings, I saw them while travelling so I'm sure you could find on ebay/amazon

have you tried some good old fashioned DEET?

11 years so far and I still cant get rid of a leech

If ya figure something out let me know, ill test it on my ex!

ZING!

Maybe Brian has a secret pantyhose fetish.

He might like it :lol:

scared here to find the answer

Most all pro Football players wear panty hose when it gets cold.

And so doe horse back riders to cut down on or stop any chafing.

Maybe Brian has a secret pantyhose fetish.

He might like it :lol:

Oh just wait little buddy, I know where you fish. LOL

The rest of yas, :P:lol:

I like the sun block idea, although, I dont have any as I dont use it.

I was thinking more along the lines of that gel stuff swimmers put on. You know, the ones that lather up in that cream before doing the cross lake O swim. Im sure that stuff keeps everything off ya.LOL

Maybe I get a hold of my scuba diver buddy.

If I have to go the stocking way, Im guess camo fish net would be my go too. :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I do a bit of summertime wet wading in some local rivers. Waders are not an option unless I know I'll be in the shade the whole time. My solution to keep gravel out of my boots and protection while walking through long grass works very well. Quick drying pants. Neoprene socks. Wading boots. Sponge chord. The sponge chord is pretty much a stretchy foam string. Once I've got my boots on I tie the sponge chord around my ankles to keep my pants secure to my boots. No sand or gravel in my boots now. No leeches either. If you don't have sponge chord you could likely use a piece of string with the same results. I like the chord because it has some stretch and seems to really grab onto my pant legs. Tie up once and forget about it for the rest of the day.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I need them when out on the toon. I did notice this morning that the neo socks are just below water level. I was out this morning and I was checking very often to see if I had any klingons and salt at the ready. LOL

It,s been way to hot to be wearing waders. Im am seriously thinking about this legging hose thing. I dont care what people think, as long as those suckers stay off of me.

We used blousing straps the same way you are using sponge cord in the SeaBees. Google them you will find they work well and are inexpensive.

Art

way back, we used rubber rings from mom's Crown Canning jars for the same purpose, especially for holding hockey shin pads on :canadian:

Im am seriously thinking about this legging hose thing. I dont care what people think, as long as those suckers stay off of me.

well then ask the Mrs to pick you up some. Then when your drag is screaming out there you wont have to worry about the leaches, the suckers maybe but not the leaches...

I wear the compression running pants while flats fishing in the ocean and just wear board shorts over top. I pull them over my wading boots and just wear my regular shorts over top. They keep sand, shells and all other sea creatures (jellyfish) off and stop chafing when walking a flat for 8 hours. Looks kind of odd but when I get off the flat I roll them up to my knee and you can't see them.