Beating the Sun & Skin Cancer

Pikeslayer

careful with buffs guys.

many i've seen, including those cheap discount ones that were posted on here last year (yes, i fell for it as well) don't have any uv protection.

you get what you pay for.

if you pay <$10 for a buff, it likely has zero uv protection.

Geeze guys I am not very good at protecting myself from the sun. Use to burn so badly when I was a kid that I would blister. I guess I've been lucky so far, I still don't use sun screen, I go around without a shirt on most of the time (Sue won't let me wear my speedo outside anymore so I do wear shorts. Guess it must be my ancestry eh Simon? :whistling:

Sue is afraid if you were your speedo outside that the ladies in the area will attack again.....LOL

careful with buffs guys.

many i've seen, including those cheap discount ones that were posted on here last year (yes, i fell for it as well) don't have any uv protection.

I fail to see how wearing clothing has 0 UV protection...it may not have an insane amount, but i would argue my tan lines tell a different story lol

I fail to see how wearing clothing has 0 UV protection...it may not have an insane amount, but i would argue my tan lines tell a different story lol

Agreed. I have never had a sunburn or even a noticable tan though my clothes. Unless the rays that cause tans and burns are different than the rays that cause skin cancer, I think that any clothing seems to offer pretty good protection.

I am not convinced that special UV blocking clothes are required. Perhaps some people who have extra sensitive skin (perhaps from radiation therapy) may require the extra protection of special clothing; but normal clothing seems to be enough for most people.

Edited by JohnBacon

I think UV clothing like fishing lures is a scam. They advertise it & people buy it. I wear regular clothing - long sleeved cotton shirt, long pants, & paint my face,nose & ears with 70 SPF sunscreen, also a wide brimmed Tilley hat. Maybe I'm lucky, but, no skin problems yet.

Great thread, this topic should be talked about more. I (in a previous life) once owned a tanning salon. I took a tanning course and if you read between the lines taught you about tanning and how to crap people into thin king its better for you.The best shirts IMO are the Eddy Bauer long sleeve. I have been lucky enough to find them on sale and super inexpensive. Eddy Bauer is my favorite shirt by far and I use an army style wide brimmed hat, when I remember. Also use the shirts for the collar protection but sometime cheat and go short sleeves with minimum 50 sun screen. Since they have great ones that are spray on, its so easy to apply, we really have no excuses. Another thing thats great for protection and are super easy to use are the face sticks. Like a big lip balm that you rub on and away you go....

Edited by Shloim

Great thread, this topic should be talked about more. I (in a previous life) once owned a tanning salon. I took a tanning course and if you read between the lines taught you about tanning and how to crap people into thin king its better for you.The best shirts IMO are the Eddy Bauer long sleeve. I have been lucky enough to find them on sale and super inexpensive. Eddy Bauer is my favorite shirt by far.

Just a heads up for those who use spray on sun screen and or insect spray........it will ruin the screen on your depth finder, etc....... I have now banned all spray on protectors on my boat.

Depth Finder? Just use the skeg on your motor, if it ain't bouncing off rocks or dragging in the mud you're deep enough! :whistling:

In all seriousness; I think if you are prone to the big C you are going to get it regardless and if you aren't then you won't. I know countless people that have spent their lives out in the sun, farmers, bush workers, that never used a drop of sun screen or special clothing, many are as old as or older than I am. I've also watched little kids that never spent a day out in the sun, smoked, or drank suffer through that hell. It always breaks my heart!

careful with buffs guys.

You mean these ones?

That say SPF40 on the site? :whistling:

https://safishing.com/faceshields/

Capture_zps64rtxvcs.png

​When I was diagnosed by a Dermatologist, he told me I had Actinic Keratosis, a common form of skin cancer

​to folks who are light haired and have blue eyes, light complexion and are outdoors a lot of the time, working, recreation, etc..

It scared the living sh** out of me, He prescribed a medication cream for me to use on my scalp, face, ears, nose , all infected skin areas.

​ I am now free of any signs of skin cancer and I have modified my life style to keep it that way.

​I stay out of the sun as much as possible, use sun screen, bought a wide brimmed Tilley hat, so cool looking, never go outside without

​my hat on, even on a cloudy day, those rays can reek havoc on your scalp,

​Melanoma is a life changing experience, if you are young and read this, don't think that you are invincible, YOUR NOT, time will catch up ​ with you !!!