Cabella's GRRRRR

Dara

Not happy with customer service

I bought a trolling motor in Feb, put it on the boat and used it for the first time last weekend.

It is broke...needs a new mother board.

Called Cabella's to return it and they said, sorry sir, its past our 60 day return policy, too bad, so sad, go to Minn Kota with your troubles.

But it was broke from the factory..too bad..went through 3 levels of supervisor, all of which were out and I had to call back later.

Now its 3 weeks to get my motor fixed and it never worked.

They could have bent the rules and taken care of a customer but no, too bad, so sad

Never will they get a dime from me again, or a recomendation

Rant over

Tom at the Bait Bucket has been going out of his way, to get the guys here what they need and supplying local needs. My faith in the local bait and tackle shop has grown much support. I even asked for some items to be brought in and he has done so. This kind of service will keep me going back to him.

Caveat Emptor

Did you bother to research or ask Cabelas about returns on a large ticket item prior to purchase? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no.

Now you want to blame Cabelas for sticking to their return policy that you failed to inquire about?

Sorry bro.....

Caveat Emptor

Did you bother to research or ask Cabelas about returns on a large ticket item prior to purchase? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say no.

Now you want to blame Cabelas for sticking to their return policy that you failed to inquire about?

Sorry bro.....

Buyer beware,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ya, if I was buying something USED.

Big box stores are a joke.

Dara, you seemed to have it taken care of, but I know I would be pissed too.

Like I said

BIG BOX STORES ARE A JOKE.

Tough situation. As a small retailer myself, I do everything I can to help customers. That way they become loyal, and you have their business for life. Now the big box retailer does have a return policy and unfortunately they follow it strictly. They don't care about you at all. However, the manufacturer who also doesn't care, will take their sweet time fixing it, when, they should just send you another no questions asked. That kind of thing really pisses me off.

Edited by BigJack1

Tough situation. As a small retailer myself, I do everything I can to help customers. That way they become loyal, and you have their business for life. Now the big box retailer does have a return policy and unfortunately they follow it strictly. They don't care about you at all. However, the manufacturer who also doesn't care, will take their sweet time fixing it, when, they should just send you another no questions asked. That kind of thing really pisses me off.

Two thumbs up!

I briefly worked for canadian tire and management hated me because I knew the return policies lol. It cost them nothing to refund/recoupe an item.

I would refund basically anything that wasnt obvious owner abuse.

Why not???

Buyer beware,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ya, if I was buying something USED.

Big box stores are a joke.

Dara, you seemed to have it taken care of, but I know I would be pissed too.

Like I said

BIG BOX STORES ARE A JOKE.

Cabela's is not a Big BOX store in any way...........look around next time you're there and tell me if you see nothing else but 4 walls, floor and ceiling......

BTW I have never had a problem with Cabela's customer service. As a matter of fact I rate them as the best in customer service by far........

I had a pair of leaky waders that were about 6-7 years old and took them in and asked if they stand behind them. They looked up the lowest price they sold for because I didn't have the receipt and gave me that much on a new pair........try that anywhere else.

Minn Kota has quality control issues with their TM............I have had 2 different ones break within a couple of weeks but they did take care of the problem without any additional cost to me.

I feel your frustration Dara. Got a 8inch manual ice auger there once. Drilled 3 holes with it and didn't like it. I had lost the receipt but I still had the box it came in with all the packaging and there store address on a label right on the box. Drove an hour to get to the store. Told them my story and showed them the packaging and everything. "Sorry sir no receipt" was all they would do for me. Sold the auger on here for $50...it was an $100 plus strikemaster laser auger....and was done with it and them. Haven't been in the store since.

Found my receipt months latter. It had fallen behind my bedroom dresser :wallbash:

Just reread my response and I realized I made a mistake. The incident I described happened at BPS in Vaughn not at any Cabelas. My apologies for the error. I had not finished my morning coffee yet and my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders :angel:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I feel your frustration Dara. Got a 8inch manual ice auger there once. Drilled 3 holes with it and didn't like it. I had lost the receipt but I still had the box it came in with all the packaging and there store address on a label right on the box. Drove an hour to get to the store. Told them my story and showed them the packaging and everything. "Sorry sir no receipt" was all they would do for me. Sold the auger on here for $50...it was an $100 plus strikemaster laser auger....and was done with it and them. Haven't been in the store since.

Found my receipt months latter. It had fallen behind my bedroom dresser :wallbash:

unfortunately there are people who would without receipt

1 buy stuff on sale and then try to return products at full price

2 buy something used and then try to return it

3 steal things then try and return

it seems we pay the price for others dishonesty but i cannot blame the store

they have a return policy in writing for a reason when you buy something from any store you are agreeing to that policy

if you misplace the receipt its not the stores fault

and to the OP again the return policy is in writing at all the stores its not the fault of the store you didn't test the motor within

the stated time i know it sucks i would be pissed to but businesses have to protect themselves from the few dishonest people

that cost them money

I buy an "On Demand" shallow well pump from Canadian Tire at 10.00 AM and put power to it at 11:00 AM and she no work. I am back at the store at 12:30 and they tell me that I have to send it to Mastercraft in Toronto. The 18 year old girl tells me Mastercraft has nothing to do with CTC, it's a separate company. They took it back at the Dunnville Canadian Tire after dealing with the store owner, not the manager making $18.00 an hour. I didn't raise my voice once talking to the store manager then the store owner.

Support your local Mom and Pop tackle shops, and pump supply guys. I will pay more there and be satisfied. How much is it worth to deal with a faceless corporation?

I have never delt with a company like that before, or online, and I never will again.

Turns out the motor doesn't even have the auto pilot feature on it.

The advertising by Minn Kota and Cabellas is very misleading and confusing.

Talking to the customer service rep at Minn Kota this morning, he couldn't even tell me what features any motor might have.

Then I got called back frtom an email I sent last week and told the woman that I got ripped off and she just said, yeah thats a bummer

It seams that everybody is out to rip you off nowadays.

I got composted sheep and cattle manure this weekend...its nothing but a bag of half rotten sticks.

The black soil is just wet peatmoss.

Sure, maybe 1% of the bag is as advertised but the rest is stealing from people thAT DON'Tknow any better.

All the guys that replied saying I am wrong, I thank you for your support and will be very carefull how I spend my money in the future

It seams that everybody is out to rip you off nowadays.

Not everybody is out there to rip you off. When you deal with the owner of a small retailer he or she will give you the best customer service in most cases than any corporate retailer, not always but usually. The big box guys however are there to answer to the shareholder and maximize that shareholders profit and at all costs. So in that case you are 110% right in that getting "ripped off" is in their unwritten business Mantra I bet.

One reason I can not understand why many will buy sight unseen from the Internet is that I want to be able to see what I'm buying before I fork out big bucks, including top soil. Last year I didn't do what I preach and ordered some triple mix without being here before they dumped it. It was more than 50% clay and other crap. Next time I'll be here when they deliver the stuff.

Around here they cut the topsoil with sand and it won't hold together when things dry out a bit.

I generally deal local because I believe in supporting local.

Living in a border town I see everybody running across the river to spend their money.

The worst are government workers and I just don't understand it..rely on tax dollars for a paycheque and run to a different country to spend it

Sorry to hear some of you boys haven't had good luck on some thing purchased from whoever. At times it really doesn't matter who you purchase the widget from.......it's just a bad widget to begin with.

I must say I have been very lucky when ordering stuff via the internet.........but I do a LOT of research on the product and the seller before I click the BUY button ...... as a matter of fact just Friday I got the bride a spanking new vacuum and saved over $35 having it sent right to the house........more bait money for me ...... LOL

Cabela's is not a Big BOX store in any way...........look around next time you're there and tell me if you see nothing else but 4 walls, floor and ceiling......

BTW I have never had a problem with Cabela's customer service. As a matter of fact I rate them as the best in customer service by far........

I had a pair of leaky waders that were about 6-7 years old and took them in and asked if they stand behind them. They looked up the lowest price they sold for because I didn't have the receipt and gave me that much on a new pair........try that anywhere else.

Minn Kota has quality control issues with their TM............I have had 2 different ones break within a couple of weeks but they did take care of the problem without any additional cost to me.

So my question is first, what do you call a big box store?

My next is your post about waders 6-7 years old and walked in to the store. Which one? Cabelas has been here in Canada, 5 years? First out west,then here in Barrie Ontario the last 2. I dought you got a deal here the north, on 6-7 year old waders.

BTW, I had a pair of waders from BPS some years ago from the Vaughan Store. I made it back just under the 1 year warranty by one month. I got a free replacment. After the one year, I would of got squat from them. So to get a pair even though discounted like you say, I find that hard to beleive, right from the retailer. I know guys with Simms, that have to go through Simms to get repairs or replacements.

Edited by Brian B

So my question is first, what do you call a big box store?

My next is your post about waders 6-7 years old and walked in to the store. Which one? Cabelas has been here in Canada, 5 years? First out west,then here in Barrie Ontario the last 2. I dought you got a deal here the north, on 6-7 year old waders.

BTW, I had a pair of waders from BPS some years ago from the Vaughan Store. I made it back just under the 1 year warranty by one month. I got a free replacment. After the one year, I would of got squat from them. So to get a pair even though discounted like you say, I find that hard to beleive, right from the retailer. I know guys with Simms, that have to go through Simms to get repairs or replacements.

1.) A big box store is just what you posted......a BIG BOX that is a store........so like a Walmart......Cabela's and Bass Pro to the best of my knowledge have never built a big box that is a store..........both of these companies are built to be destination points for sportsmen and non-sportsmen alike.......they have aquariums, hundreds of game and fish mounts and some even have restaurant(s) within the store. Some even have archery ranges, boats and gunsmiths on site..........where have you ever seen that at any "Box Store" you know of.

2.) Yes, the local Cabela's has not been here that long but have you ever heard of mail ordering products......and I agree BPS is not Cabela's and does not have their customer service..........so that's why I no longer deal with BPS but rather Cabela's exclusively. :)

I would still like to know where you walked in, as you say, you order online, and got 6-7 year old waders replaced ,at a dicounted price? Me thinks you are state side, as you have stated, these stores, Calelas and BPS, are very striked with return/ exchange policies.

Edited by Brian B

as a matter of fact just Friday I got the bride a spanking new vacuum and saved over $35 having it sent right to the house........more bait money for me ...... LOL

Wow buddy, you got her her very own vacuum cleaner? A new set of pots and pans for her Xmas present? And I'm supposed to act like it's 1967 because I'm in my 60's.

i guess it depends on your definition of bi box store

A big-box store (also supercenter, superstore, or megastore) is a physically large retail establishment, usually part of a chain. The term sometimes also refers, by extension, to the company that operates the store. The store may sell general dry goods in which case it is a department store, or may be limited to a particular specialty (such establishments are often called "category killers") or may also sell groceries, in which case some countries (mostly in Europe) use the term hypermarket.