4th Annual!

NAW

Before my son was born, for many years, Trout fishing was not on my mind this time of year. I would have been practising my turkey calls... But after being eluded by them for to many years to keep track off. I decided after my son was born, that the time would be better spent with HIM!.

So every year he has been alive, we have been out on season opener.

Here's a few from year one!!

IMG_0048_zps6fcf5532.jpg

IMG_0038_zps4f791976.jpg

IMG_0077_zps21498ed4.jpg

Year 2

10258510_10154110077490232_5328049779707

Year 3

DSC_0328_zpsnimzicbt.jpg

The past few years, the day has fallen on the same weekend as the Elmvale maple syrup festival. So we would head up that direction and fish. But this year the 4th saturday in May is not the last weekend of April.

So we decided to keep in very local and fish a local creek. There was a few spots I wanted to try. It involved a nice walk through some forest trails. Which Alex really loved. He pounded a good 1.5km trail walk to get to the river. Alex's job was to carry the tackle box. And it just happened to fit in his monkey bag just perfectly. He got a kick out of the rattle it made every time he jumped.

We got there, and immediately see a nice 18 to 20" fish slowly chugging upstream. Thought it was a good sign. But the shore was to steep for us to get to where I wanted to set up.

So we just found a nice spot to hang out, and try a couple dozen drifts. I would cast, and Alex would reel it in at the end of the drift.

We didn't make it out last night for worms. And to be honest, I forgot about it until we got to the fishing spot. So I told alex we had to flip over some rocks or logs to find some bait. And he didn't like that idea.. He suggested we use strawberries, which we had in our pack. Why not?? So we sat in the sun and eat strawberries, and fished for about an hour.

I lost track of time, and realized when taking a picture, that I was going to be very late for my next event the morning. Which was to meet my co-worker at the airport to check out his ultra light that he built. So we packed up in a rush, Alex jumped on my back, and we ran at a light jog all the way back to the car!. We where 25 minutes late still. But Alex loved the run. He was laughing the entire way.

He was terrified of the air plane. He refused to sit inside for a picture. But we still had fun at the airport. Even stopped for breakfast at the restaurant there. Watching the planes take off and land, and move around the airport was entertaining for alex, and the food was really good and at a fair price.

Normally, we would have headed out fishing at a second spot, or go on a hike or bike ride. Something outdoors.. But Alex is actually supposed to be at his moms house this weekend.. So I only had him for the morning.

It sucked not having him for the full day. But we made the best with the morning we had! Maybe try it again next weekend in a better spot.

Here's some pics to help tell the story.

For those who read these every year... He sure is getting big eh!!

DSC_2268_zpssmwyfbd0.jpg

DSC_2270_zpsgqyhsftg.jpg

DSC_2272_zpsdjedjgc8.jpg

DSC_2273_zpsdlxhpgvf.jpg

DSC_2275_zpsogdjo2ly.jpg

DSC_2284_zpsztxtj3u2.jpg

DSC_2286_zpshjjawhr9.jpg

DSC_2295_zpsck3nxtph.jpg

DSC_2296_zpsklya4eej.jpg

DSC_2307_zpsh8pprisa.jpg

DSC_2308_zpsxz0jogzw.jpg

DSC_2311_zpsmcjryuoa.jpg