What would this boat be worth...

Toying with the idea of putting my boat up for sale and would like to get some opinion on what it might be worth, there are lots of these for sale in the States so I know what the are going for down there but not a lot of comparable`s up here.

Details;

2008....17.6 foot Stratos 176 bass boat with 75 HP Mercury Optimax probably under 200 hours runs very good starts first turn of the key every time.

The boat itself is in good condition, a couple of minor issues needs a new bilge pump and the seats are a little worn.

Has a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI fish finder and a small Garmin unit up front, trolling motor is the standard minn kota.

On board charger and batteries are good.

The trailer is custom fit for the boat and in very good condition with spare.

Just want to get a idea what she might be worth.

IMGstratos1.jpg

Toying with the idea of putting my boat up for sale and would like to get some opinion on what it might be worth, there are lots of these for sale in the States so I know what the are going for down there but not a lot of comparable`s up here.

Details;

2008....17.6 foot Stratos 176 bass boat with 75 HP Mercury Optimax probably under 200 hours runs very good starts first turn of the key every time.

The boat itself is in good condition, a couple of minor issues needs a new bilge pump and the seats are a little worn.

Has a Lowrance Elite 7 HDI fish finder and a small Garmin unit up front, trolling motor is the standard minn kota.

On board charger and batteries are good.

The trailer is custom fit for the boat and in very good condition with spare.

Just want to get a idea what she might be worth.

attachicon.gifIMGstratos1.jpg

Add 20 - 25% of the USA price and see what happens.

That's a tough boat to re-sell. The value would be anywhere from 12-15k imo The problem is that for 12-15k and being a bass boat most guys will want a V6 and a 19-21 footer as you can get that in the states no problem for that price range. Its a great boat to fish from but not really a flipping boat given the value imo. The older cheaper ones are easier to sell or the larger bass boats. The small bass boat market is really a niche market and generally driven by people without enough cash to get a bigger one so the bare bones cheap 3-7k bass boats tend to sell fairly quickly.

Great boat though to own and fish from. Stratus makes great hulls. I would list it for 15k and let it sit and fish from it but it really depends on what you have into it.

Imo the math goes like this.

Worth 10k in the states, with the exchange puts it at 13k Canadian. Add 2000 for the effort and costs of getting it across the border puts a fair price of 15k Canadian up here.

Edited by jedimaster

With the prices of new boats these days, the used ones have started going up in price. if you list now, you may grab the attention of someone quickly as now is the time to sell.

It's worth more than $12,000 for sure. I'd start between $14,000 and $15,000 just because it is newer.

Your biggest issue will be the length of the boat. 18 footers seem to be the starting point these days.

With the prices of new boats these days, the used ones have started going up in price. if you list now, you may grab the attention of someone quickly as now is the time to sell.

It's worth more than $12,000 for sure. I'd start between $14,000 and $15,000 just because it is newer.

Your biggest issue will be the length of the boat. 18 footers seem to be the starting point these days.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/sault-ste-marie/17ft-javeline-bass-boat-equipped-with-90hp-evinrude-and-min-kota/1151305176

Not exactly apples to apples but close enough for this discussion.

My guess is the value to be in the low 13s. Keep in mind that the cost to import a boat from the states can't be factored into what yours is worth, because really there's a low chance that the boat will ever be exported/imported and will just remain in the country/state that its being sold.

I know what you're going through though, I'm currently on the market for a 04-08 bass boat, but I'm looking for aluminum due to the nature of our lakes up here, and my tendency to be at new lakes every year (never knowing exactly where I'm going). I currently have an 89 Tracker bass boat and its hard to gauge what its actually going to be worth when I sell it. Browsing kijiji ads doesn't really give you a sense of what kind of offers people are actually getting, and what they're settling on as a final price. I am however prepared for the fact that my boat may be worth less than I hoped it is, but I'm assuming its actual value to be a the lowest end of the scale that I've seen compareables posted at.

Its tough, I know the struggle, and I'm sad that yours isn't aluminum!

Kijiji prices are all over the map. It's ridiculous and often misleading.

I agree it's a niche market though I think it's worth at least 12,000 and likely more.

I wouldn't sell it for 11,000 unless u want the deal done. New prices are really helping you now - unless u r planning to buy new that is.

13k. Wonder what size motor that boat can handle? That seems a little underpowered....but having said that I know nothing of fibreglass boats. If I was looking at that size in aluminum I would expect it to have a 115, and nothing less than a 90, maybe fibreglass boats don't need as much hp?

I get 75km/h out of my 16.5 skeeter with a 115 (max rated) anything 60km/h and up is plenty fine for a recreationally fishing boat. Unless your hitting tournaments you don't really have a need for anything faster. I would say your top speed mentioned seems pretty accurate. Good luck with the sale.

If you are only 'toying' with the idea of selling I would go high and see what sort of interest you generate. There is another Stratos for sale in the classified section of this board, bit bigger than yours but it looks like it's been up for a while. Bass boats seem to be a niche market.

Another thing to consider is if you are planning to get a new boat, what would be the rock bottom price you would need to get for yours to make the new boat a reality.

If you are putting it up on Kijiji be prepared for some insultingly low offers. Even if you think that this might be the best offer you're going to get, stick to your bottom line price. I was prepared to walk over $100 when I sold mine last summer. (Threw in half a jug of 2 stroke engine oil and an old black and white fish finder and the buyer was happy) I knew what I needed to get for it so my new boat would be affordable. Offer up an unused rod and reel or something else you have sitting around not being used to make you seem like the good guy but don't go past your bottom line. If they are a serious buyer and not a tire kicker, they will come up with the $$.

Good luck