Ice Out Watch

ccmtcanada

I have taken lots of pics in the last week lots of ice damage in Dunsford on sturgeon lake a boathouse almost destroyed dozens of docks ripped out and major damage from the wind last Wedbesday moving the ice around and even shoreline damage ice was right up on county Rd 24 the other day as well they had to close the road for a while to remove ice

It's about a 1 mile swath from the marina to our govt dock in thurstonia on sturgeon lake !!! It has happened many times before and people just leave their wooden docks out and some years it's fine others they get crushed I knew it was going to happen last week when we had that major wind/hail storm blow through it only took about 20 mins for the ice to do all that damage !!!!! Peoples water lines are ripped out and even the marina wall looks like it's gonna collapse they just repaired it from last years ice event and it's wrecked again !!! A lot of those peoples docks are cottagers so they have no idea yet they are destroyed and there is gonna be lots of debris out on the water when it melts as all that stuff will be floating all over the lake as usual be careful first few times out and watch for things all depends on the wind again and how fast the water comes up

Last night there was perhaps 100' of open water between my shore and ice as far as you (I) could see. This morning there is open water right across the lake in front of our place, plenty of ice both North and South of here.

I took a little drive and there are some massive ice flows but right now they are hugging the Western shore. If they are right about the wind direction for the next couple of days we could have a problem. ESE today then WNW tomorrow then back to ESE for Saturday. That ice has lots of room to pick up momentum. My marine railway is about 6' North of where it should be, fortunatly I learned a long time ago to disconnect it from the main land so it's moved but not damaged. I think I'll wait another week or two before I re attach it LOL.

Manjo39: I know you didn't ask but the answer is NO, this would not be a good weekend to put the dock in. Had a quick look at your place today, there is still some ice against the shore line which is a good thing, it will act as a buffer if the lake ice does come back in.

Edited by Big Cliff

Last night there was perhaps 100' of open water between my shore and ice as far as you (I) could see. This morning there is open water right across the lake in front of our place, plenty of ice both North and South of here.

I took a little drive and there are some massive ice flows but right now they are hugging the Western shore. If they are right about the wind direction for the next couple of days we could have a problem. ESE today then WNW tomorrow then back to ESE for Saturday. That ice has lots of room to pick up momentum. My marine railway is about 6' North of where it should be, fortunatly I learned a long time ago to disconnect it from the main land so it's moved but not damaged. I think I'll wait another week or two before I re attach it LOL.

Manjo39: I know you didn't ask but the answer is NO, this would not be a good weekend to put the dock in. Had a quick look at your place today, there is still some ice against the shore line which is a good thing, it will act as a buffer if the lake ice does come back in.

Lol! Thanks Cliff. You read my mind and answered my question. I'm guessing 2nd weekend of April.

I always look forward to this thread every year :)

Edited by manjo39

Lol! Thanks Cliff. You read my mind and answered my question. I'm guessing 2nd weekend of April.

Well it is an early spring but they are calling for a much colder than normal April and even early May. I may try to get my dock in next weekend if all the ice has broken up which I think it will be. I'll keep an eye on things and let you know what's happening. Regardless, you know you are always welcome in my boat anytime so you don't need to rush at getting yours in.

All depends on the wind and it's going to switch around and come from the northwest and blow all the ice from the long beach side back again it was blowing from the east. But they have also dropped the lake at least a foot in the last few days to ease the breakup ..... But lots of big size ice sheets & chunks out there also floating docks & debris