That tip from Irishfield saved the morning

misfish

First time I have used the buddy heater in this -30 temp and only the pilot would light up. Turn to high and it would go out. Frustration set in after about 15 minutes of this, as I have not had an issue since I bought it.

Then an old post by icefisherman came to me like a lighten bolt.

Wayne had mentioned something about putting the bottle in the water to rise the temp of the propane.

Sure as hell, after about 10 minutes in the hole,I put the bottle on and I had that thing glowing red and in minutes, I was in a 90deg hub. B)

Thanks Wayne for that informative tip bud.

:clapping::worthy::canadian:

That's what that cussin was all about?! I knew that too but I thought you was cussin about how cold it was! Mine did the same thing but mine is a 5lb tank but it is too big to fit in the hole. Just kept on clickin and it eventually lit. Good luck tomorrow Brian. Check ur PM.

Rob C

another trick that works up here is make a couple of card board sleeves to fit around the tanks, do the base also, then they slide on and off

put them over room temp tanks, keeps the cold of them for a bit longer before they gel up

tried sliding a merino wool sock over then a slightly larger card board sleeve works pretty darn good on the blue bottles and hang the full tanks , up inside your hut so the rising heat keeps the gas flowable when u need to screw on a new one

Edited by mr blizzard

Hey now, I said I remembered. Thats alot for this old guy.

Get out next weekend Rob. BTW, Nice smitty. Thats slick.

well I am going to make one out of aluminum next, so when it's done you can have that one. See you next week.

Rob

If I have to worry about my propane freezing I won't be going. That includes Qing outside 3 feet from the cottage. -27 here this morning my wife told me at 7AM, I took care of that easy. I slept until it hit -5.

I've been watching a marathon of Life Below Zero. I envy the strength those Artic fools have. I watch it so I can revel in the fact it's warm in here. That Sue Aitken is a freak of nature.

Brian, no fish report?

i thought everyone knew that trick, had to do it myself this morning to get the heater going

Really, then why didnt you tell me when you heard me cursing out loud,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

I was laughing too hard to get up

and was too warm to get out of the hut to tell you

lol

I can see this exact same thing happening with Jeremy84 and I

If its too cold for the propane stove to fire up I am not going fishing! I had no idea this could be a problem...but at least I now know the solution if I ever get brave. I will fish nasty conditions in the late fall, but come ice fishing season I am a "fair" weather kind of guy I guess

If I have to worry about my propane freezing I won't be going. That includes Qing outside 3 feet from the cottage. -27 here this morning my wife told me at 7AM, I took care of that easy. I slept until it hit -5.

I've been watching a marathon of Life Below Zero. I envy the strength those Artic fools have. I watch it so I can revel in the fact it's warm in here. That Sue Aitken is a freak of nature.

Brian, no fish report?

You said -10 in your other post...

Are you slippin old man? Do i need to break me foot(again) in your hass?

Lol

Brian,

I just had two propane tanks inside my survival suit. Heater started and run all day like a champ. Kids loved it...didn't even know it was cold outside ;-)

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

And this happen, just after telling you I had not had an issue with mine. I had two bottles on the floor of the truck getting warm before heading out this morning. Fired right up. I almost had to build a bridge to go over the mot outside. LOL

Was nice to meet you and the boys Emile.