Kawartha Bald Eagles....pics

lew

I've heard of some Bald Eagles being sighted in the Kawarthas in the last couple years but haven't been fortunate enough to spot any myself.....until a couple days ago.

I spotted the bird sitting on top of a dead tree but just figured it was an Osprey, until I got close enough for a decent look.....absolutely gorgeous and majestic birds !!!!!

The female was in another tree about 100 yards away.

Unfortunately I couldn't get close enough for a close-up shot and my camera's only a 3-X Optic zoom but he shows up pretty good nontheless.

I shoulda had DanC along with his photo skills

Sitting on the tree

Cnv2016.jpg

Just after I took this picture he dropped down to the water and grabbed a fish.

Cnv2017.jpg

She's hard to spot, but you can see the female sitting on a branch, just slightly below, and to the right of center.

Cnv2020.jpg

I had my nephew in the boat....Eddyk's son....and he was able to land his 1st ever musky too. It was only a tiny fish but the 1st one is always very memorable and he was more than happy with it.

All in all, a great day !! :thumbsup_anim:

Cnv2014.jpg

Funny you mention the eagle, Lew.

Just yesterday, my neighbour and his wife were out for a boat ride in the afternoon and said they had seen an eagle on it's nest among the islands across the lake. I nodded and said how neat (and then whispered to my buddy next to me "osprey").

Where did ya spot the bird? Was it on Buckhorn near the passage thru the islands?

The number of ospreys around lately is astounding...it would be great to see a few pairs of old baldy around as well.

Guest mistyriver1

Eagles are my favorite birds. That is awesome that they are starting to turn up.

Congrats to your nephew Lew, great report.

Jim

Lew, a couple of years ago I reported seeing a bald eagle's nest on Upper Buckhorn. Last year when I returned, there was a couple of young'uns in the nest. So they can be spreading to other lakes in the Kawartha's.

Excellent Report!! Congrats to your nephew!! :thumbsup_anim: Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it feels great to get your nephew into his first ski. Too bad you weren't as lucky. I'm sure your first ski of the year, will be boated soon.

FOTB

:Gonefishing:

Edited by fishinonthebrain

Yup indeed great pictures.....We too also have some breeding pairs close to home. Just last yr i saw one actually land on the beach here in dover mid evening. We also see them flying over the house from time to time and they really are beautiful.

Thanx for shareing.

Nauti. :thumbsup_anim:

Congrats Lew, great report and photos. Spotting Bald Eagles and a 1st musky, can't be beat. Do you feel a third passengers presence.

Thanks for sharing.

John