Drones for hunting

captpierre

Just caught a CBC Radio piece about the use of drones with cameras to spot prey or even herding them towards the hunter.

Banned in Alaska and some western provinces.

I'm thinking drones to be over the top.

Then is sonar and now SI any different on the water?

Gotta figure out how to herd fish to the lure. ?

In BC, the use of helicopters is already illegal for hunting, and the ministry classifies a drone as a helicopter based on the rotary blade. The synopsis has been amended to include specific wording for dones but not the actual wildlife act yet, so it would be interesting to see that case in court.

In terms of using drones to spot or herd game, it's already very popular for guide outfitters to use planes to scout or even herd sheep over a few ridges (and even interfere with hunters who are not clients)....drones don't have anywhere near the flight time that those planes do, so not too worried about that aspect.

In general I'd love to see more aerial enforcement of existing regs, but the mountains are big and hard to enforce that crap, "evidence" is typically hearsay

There's some pretty spectacular pictures coming from drones now, definitely cool devices with legitimate uses. I'd love to build one up, seems the older you get the more expensive your hobbies become haha

That's not hunting, that's just killing. Man, I think technology is taking the fun out of many outdoor sports. This is coming from an older guy of course, so the young ones might feel more comfortable with the newer approaches.

All of this new technology has nothing on good ole, tried and true, EXPERIENCE.

S.

Just caught a CBC Radio piece about the use of drones with cameras to spot prey or even herding them towards the hunter.

Banned in Alaska and some western provinces.

I'm thinking drones to be over the top.

Then is sonar and now SI any different on the water?

Gotta figure out how to herd fish to the lure.

Good point on sonar and SI. Back in the 70's when a fish finder was a needle or flashing unit (I still have my old ones) I thought they were just tools to 'HELP' you find structures. Now with the new electronic technology I watch as rich rookies simply go out with GPS coordinated and pinpoint spots that they bought. Then use the sophisticated sonar to isolate and zero in a spot. Beyond the skill of pressing a a few buttons, they are on fish immediately.

I put my electronics away many years ago and still fish old school. IMO drones for hunting are no different than sonar now for fishing.

I live in northern Ontario, and I watch truck after truck hauling ATV's into the bush. GPS coordinates programmed for known hot spots for deer hunting. Most of the spots are "baited" with apples to boot. And this is a sport? They all kill their deer and fill their tags. The tracking and ways of the bush are all but gone. without the technology most of these "outdoorsmen" couldn't shoot their foot. Drones are just the next phase in the slaughter.

I love technology, but when it removes the true skills of the outdoors, I object to it's uses.

Fly fishing has remained simple for centuries. With innovations and improvements in the quality of the gear, you still make and tie on a imitation of and insect and you have to present it it naturally to fool the fish. No batteries needed.

Maybe it's time to push back the technology in the outdoors.

Just my 2 cents........muddler

• 3 weeks later...

I could see using a drone to find out if animals are around the area your hunting, but using one to shoot or even herd the deer (or what ever) is just wrong..Using a drone to check your area is no different then a trail camera IMO....

• 2 weeks later...

It is not legal in BC as well. Using a drone or even flying within the last 36 hours is illegal in BC. It makes a lot of sense out there with the mountains and remote areas. Scouting for sheep and goats etc.. As well in Mulie territory way up high it is a huge advantage but was seen as a no no some time ago there. Its not a surprise that using on here would also be illegal. I haven't looked to confirm but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not a hunter so please excuse my ignorance.

Are dogs not allowed to run deer in some WMUs? Aren't they also used to tree bears? If so, I'm not clear on the difference between using a dog and drone. I think it could be argued that a dog is simply an animal drone??

Jon

Well, with dogs yes you can use them, but dogs have been used in hunting for years. I think its the whole technological aspect of it. Like in fishing where some tournaments have restrictions on underwater cameras, anchoring etc... Being a hunter I have no issues against them banning drones for hunting use nor do I have an issue with them banning people from using planes and helicopters for scouting and hunting. Seems a bit too much and takes away a lot of the adventure aspect of it.