Pigeon came through!

jimmer

I haven't been out fishing for a couple of weeks which is very strange for me. Decided to go out on Saturday for some muskie and possibly some panfish. I know it's quite the difference in targets, but I usually go for what bites.

I got out around 10am and started working an area right in front of my place. Started with a Mepps Muskie Killer. which paid off within 15 minutes. I have fished for muskie for years, but will have to say that the past few years have been lean for me. I tend to like the smaller spinners because they are not as hard on the shoulders as those cowgirls and similar ones. Well I was able to get that fish in the net, take a few terrible pictures and release a 46" beauty. I'm not very good at taking photos while out by myself.

I ended up moving to another spot and continued with the mepps. Had another 40+ fish follow in, but it didn't want to commit. Continuing to work along that area didn't produce another fish, so moved a little farther up the lake. On maybe the first or second cast, a fish hit as soon as the lure hit the water. Ended up boating a nice 42 incher. Again, a crappy picture and a good release.

Called it quits around 3pm, but made a mental note of the follow.

Was able to make it out again on Monday, but once again by myself.

I started in front of my place again and had two follows within the first half hour using the mepps. Didn't get any to hit in the first area so decided to move to where I had a follow on Saturday. I figured I would switch up baits and try a Wiley Lure. I work it very slow and sure enough a beauty 42' fish chomped it.

I continued to use that lure and had numerous follows and all seemed like 40 inch fish. I continued to move around, but ended back to the spot with the most follows. Thought I might try a jig to see if those follows would pan out. I was just about to switch to the jig from the mepps when I saw a fish surface. I threw the mepps to the exact spot and the fish hit immediately. Battled that one in and I would estimate it at around 38". Made a few more cast with the mepps and then finally changed to the large jig. First cast BOOM, landed a nice chunky 40" fish.

So, that's 5 muskie in 10 hours of fishing.

I think I died and went to muskie heaven.

Oh, zero on the panfish!

46.jpg

42.jpg

Edited by jimmer

It was in the 50's and I retrieved just fast enough to keep it above the weeds. I personally find that Pigeon muskie like the smaller baits and I always have my best luck with some kind of spinner bait or jig. Others have their luck with the body baits. The one I caught on the Wiley lure was the first one in years for me; could be I don't use them much anymore though.

It was in the 50's and I retrieved just fast enough to keep it above the weeds. I personally find that Pigeon muskie like the smaller baits and I always have my best luck with some kind of spinner bait or jig. Others have their luck with the body baits. The one I caught on the Wiley lure was the first one in years for me; could be I don't use them much anymore though.

When parents first got a place on Pigeon 35 yrs. ago as a young teen, i would troll back channel weed lines for walleye with Rapala F11 and caught musky as well as mostly walleye. The musky were so much fun bought a Rapala J-13 chartreuse and caught just musky. Jigged for walleye instead and still caught musky.

You are lucky to be on Pigeon Lake!

I usually target walleye. A few years back I was on Pigeon jigging for walleye with a dew worm (night crawlers for our US friends). A fellow fisherman jigging just a short distance away, yells out "a big musky just swam past my boat". I replied "Yah my luck I'll hook into him with this light rod, 8 lb line & no steel leader"! Guess what! I did hook him! Wow! What a rush! I eventually got him near my boat, the thing was huge! My small landing net was no match for this brute. So the other fisherman moves his boat closer to mine & nets the fish for me. Strange story, but true. We didn't measure him - wanted to get him back into the water quickly.