ughhh, stupid job offers NF

manitoubass2

well the current company hasn't done what they offered so keep that in mind. learning new skills is NEVER a bad thing and a good way to future proof yourself. The only thing that you need to decide is the hours cuz those are long days. I have a feeling you're leaning to the new place but whatever is best for your family is what it will come down to. good luck

Agreed 100%,look after yourself as we both have mentioned.Easy now isn't it?. :wallbash: .

Many years ago, I got an offer from a bank. I was at a competitive bank at the time. Both good jobs, but pay was a bit better at the offering bank. The potential new job was a bit different and I thought it would be nice to add to the resume, and it offered a bit more variety. However, the job I had was not overly difficult, had great coworkers, and I was (I think) appreciated by senior management. And, if I stuck around, I was the likely next CFO.

Absolutely drove me nuts trying to decide. Ended up talking to my brother about it. After listening, he said "why not"? I couldn't really respond, and ended up making the move. In hindsight, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck....you have a nice problem.

Rick not to take away from this thread at all but in fairness dave the p1 and 2 are keeping some very qualified people out of the mines just saying. qualified at heavy equipment and policing but because a person is p3 its gutter ball material up here, yes the mines are great but u have to get through the territorial politics first, sorry Rick for posting, u have been given some great advice and u know our family thoughts are with you

That's career suicide! Especially if you are contract.

MB2 - do what's right for the family. Money is one thing, family time is another. You will do the right thing.

HH

I would disagree with that (the career suicide part). When I was on a one year contract I also was given an offer elsewhere. I asked the boss to have a chat, told him quite openly what I had been offered and that because of the full time nature at that other job I was going to have to take it. My boss didn't want to lose me, offered me full time right on the spot with better pay and benefits. If you are a valuable employee they will want to keep you. Mind you, I busted my butt at that job...there was no spending time on OFC while I was at work! Every available second I was working, skipping lunches, staying late, arriving early etc. If you want to stay at your current company, give them a chance to at least try and keep you. If you don't even want to be there just take the other job. Personally, I did not want to blindside my employer and just take the other job. I was honest with them, they were honest with me. I ended up staying there 10 more years and only left because I was offered a General Manager position elsewhere

I would disagree with that (the career suicide part). When I was on a one year contract I also was given an offer elsewhere. I asked the boss to have a chat, told him quite openly what I had been offered and that because of the full time nature at that other job I was going to have to take it. My boss didn't want to lose me, offered me full time right on the spot with better pay and benefits. If you are a valuable employee they will want to keep you. Mind you, I busted my butt at that job...there was no spending time on OFC while I was at work! Every available second I was working, skipping lunches, staying late, arriving early etc. If you want to stay at your current company, give them a chance to at least try and keep you. If you don't even want to be there just take the other job. Personally, I did not want to blindside my employer and just take the other job. I was honest with them, they were honest with me. I ended up staying there 10 more years and only left because I was offered a General Manager position elsewhere

Hahaha I like the lil jab there?

I did my job and still do to a T.

I cant work until piles are in are roads need work. Im on others work time

During my time with this company ive always been the first one there and the last to leave.

Nature of my position doing data entry. Cant do it till all work for the day is done.(esentially I do the work of two people, and 3 at times)

So it sounds lazy lol. But there is literally nothing I can do when I am caught up, and then my work begins again when the boys go home.

My boss is pretty good. Ive never been one to blindside my employer so he was the first to know.

And to your point, he was making calls to the owner asap to see what could be done.

Again the huge downside is the company I now work for cannot offer me security unless I accept work after this project in thunder bay, 4 hours away.

New company offers security but rediculous hours. But ....

Ughhh

I hear yas its a nice problem to have, im very thankful. But its a tough decision.

If the schedule was different id jump at it ie, 21 on 12 off or something similar

Edited by manitoubass2

Rick not to take away from this thread at all but in fairness dave the p1 and 2 are keeping some very qualified people out of the mines just saying. qualified at heavy equipment and policing but because a person is p3 its gutter ball material up here, yes the mines are great but u have to get through the territorial politics first, sorry Rick for posting, u have been given some great advice and u know our family thoughts are with you

The mines aren't run by the govt and aren't under the same hiring rules.

If they were there wouldn't be more Newfies here than Newfoundland!! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

The mines aren't run by the govt and aren't under the same hiring rules.

If they were there wouldn't be more Newfies here than Newfoundland!! :tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

Hahahahha

Well my kids seem ok with the offer.

Just got off the phone with a friend that works for this company and hes very happy with the company.

hes the one that referred me(i find out now lol)

And the 14 hour days are deceitful(funny HR never mentioned it) 2 hours pay for travel, so its 12 hour days

The mines here give preference to aboriginals. They have deals in place for hiring quotas.

I hate to say it but most dont make it.(long term)

The ones that do are the best workers ever though

Wanna laugh at work?work with natives??? the jokes never end

The mines here give preference to aboriginals. They have deals in place for hiring quotas.

I hate to say it but most dont make it.(long term)

The ones that do are the best workers ever though

Wanna laugh at work?work with natives the jokes never end

Yes they have quotas here as well but it's no where near as bad as the Territorial govt's hiring rules.

We have a new mine opening next year that will create 100's of new jobs.

There are also several other properties being developed that should eventually host mines on them.

Thats "kinda good" lol.

Ours is susposed to employ 850 but ive mined before I know thats a lowball number. Id guess at least 1200

I hate the fact we rape the earth but if I dont take the spot someone else will.

So ill be the first to say im a hypocrite.

And at the same time I love seeing all my brothers and sisters with really good sustainable jobs.

One thing about mining, you will learn new skills everyday. And if your not a dog_______ you will be given every opportunity to move up

Edited by manitoubass2

Sorry guys I didn't bother to read the responses because I don't think this is a question no one else but Rick can answer himself. The only person he should take advice from on a decision like this is his wife.

Nope. Im dumb and can overlook things. Thats why I started this thread.

Lol

My wife isnt perfect either, she has a cozy desk job????.

And OI, remember i consulted you when I started my current position for thoughts?

Its just good IMO to get some outside thoughts in case im over/under looking things

Like the tax post that was news to me!

Edited by manitoubass2

Also new to me. I was told OT doesnt start until 55 hours because its considered"road work" at least at this point.

Maybe laws have changed? Or havent???

Last i knew it was anything over 44 hours, anything on weekends, any unscheduled time, and 4 hours for any call in

Any insight here?

I have the labour laws book bit its tucked away in a box somewhere lol.

The one thing that has come up in several of the replies is job security. While I think it is important I don't think it is something to count too much on.

My son did something similar to what you are considering; First company closed down operations after just over a year. It didn't take him long, he's a hard worker, he had another job within a few days, their contract ran out about 6 months after he started and didn't get renewed. No problem, he has a good skill set and easily got another job, three months later site shut down for maintainance for a month, that was 6 weeks ago.

He has finally decided that he has had enough of camp life and has now taken a job an hour from home, it's a lot less money but he gets a lot more family time.

Whatever you decide good luck with it and remember you can always change your mind if you decide you don't like it.