Need a new lighter trolling reel

captpierre

Hi Gents.

Been using an older Abu Eon as a walleye trolling rod. Wasn't the best but it got the job done.

Well, it got real sick yesterday. After opening it up, it died on the table.

Looking for a bullet proof Bait Caster for slow trolling 30 lb braid. Occasionally casting.

Was wondering if such a thing comes with a line counter.

I have a great Diawa trolling real with counter for salmon/ dipsey trolling but it's too big for Pigeon Lake.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Yah and not too expensive. Preferably under $200.

Thanks

Peter

17 series diawa line counter. The accudepth is cheap and works well. I have the 20 series okuma convector, but I don't like it as well. I also recently bought garcia silver max reels for my bottom bouncer rods, and they are pretty cheap and effective and they have a flipping switch for letting out line one handed. Not bad for casting either. I'm using powerpro metered line on them so I can use them for pulling cranks with some repeatability. It not quite the same as a line counter, but it works ok.

Edited by porkpie

If it's strictly trolling the the shimano tekota 300LC is about as good as it gets.
The Okuma cold water reels are newer in the market and so far no issues that I hear about. A size 15 should work for your needs

If you cast as we'll then Abu 5500 or 6500 come in line counters too

Edited by Fang

17 series diawa line counter. The accudepth is cheap and works well. I have the 20 series okuma convector, but I don't like it as well. I also recently bought garcia silver max reels for my bottom bouncer rods, and they are pretty cheap and effective and they have a flipping switch for letting out line one handed. Not bad for casting either. I'm using powerpro metered line on them so I can use them for pulling cranks with some repeatability. It not quite the same as a line counter, but it works ok.

Never heard of the PP metered line. Looked it up. Sounds interesting. I'm thinking that would work. Then I could get a Baitcaster and not just a trolling reel. Bonus. Thanks.

I think the Abu Eon was one of Abu's short lived reels, they seem to of had a number of them after the 1970's.

http://www.fishingwithpiotr.com/fishing-maps/pigeon-lake/

That is the limit of my knowledge of the lake, it doesn't appear to be a deep lake, is a line counter really needed?

If price is a concern?

http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-Citica-I-Series-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reel/product/2229765/

That should do fine for walleye trolling, a 200 series, and you get a lefty-righty choice.

You'll be hard pressed to find a line-counter that will cast effectively. I've seen it done with a Sealine, but it wasn't pretty!

Those clip on line counters are a royal pain in the ba doop due, especially if you are late season trolling. They don't like cold weather.

HH

accudepths do not hold up in the cold.....

but the daiwa sealines do.

They don't? I have 2 that say otherwise. I agree the sealines are a better reel, but the accudepth has been pretty good to me for the buck. Mind you I still have a cheap rapala line counter that hasn't imploded yet, so I must be good at finding unicorns. Admittedly the rapala doesn't see much use though. I've used the accudepths pretty hard and late into the season with no real issues.

Newer accudepths are good reels,

I service my own reels and the newer (grey) accudepths are build identical to salines minus the bearings,

I wouldn't recommend them for every day Lake Ontario kings but for a weekend warrior they are good,

Excellent for walleye.

Old black & gold accudepths were junk.

Cheap and effective? So far I'm liking the 2 garcia silver max reels I got. No idea how well they will hold up long term though. They cast as well as a shimano citica, can be had for $60-70 on sale and seem to so the job pretty well. I bought them just for my bottom bouncer rods, but used them as casting rods at the cottage a few times when we where just doing a quick overnight and It was too much hassle to pull the boat with all my gear. So far so good. Added bonus is the flipping switch, which is great for letting out line one handed when bottom rigging. Second choice, Citica. A little more money,but very reliable.

Great thread guys! I use a very large Okuma reel suitable for Great Lakes rainbow or salmon but way too much reel for bottom bouncing walleye. The info in this thread sure helps. I do like the line counter though. After a few times out you get to know exactly what line lengh will do the trick with a lot less hangups.

Looking around on line.

Seems the flipping switch is a must for trolling/bottom bouncing.

Can somebody explain how it works?

It's not a must, it's just a handy feature. I can drive the boat, fiddle with sonar, and click the flipping switch with my thumb to drop my bouncer an additional 5 feet to account for depth change, and I don't have to turn the handle on the reel which works for me as I use downeast holders mainly. Your mileage may vary.