Need a new lighter trolling reel

captpierre

Looking around on line.

Seems the flipping switch is a must for trolling/bottom bouncing.

Can somebody explain how it works?

I believe all the reels I have with a flipping switch are older Abu reels and I am not sure on other brands or newer reels. There is a button for the off - on position for the flipping feature, with it on? when you let go of the line release button? it engages the spool without turning the reel handle. With it of it acts like a normal casting reel, cast and then turn the handle to engage the spool.

I trolled ( long line ) for years and never used a flipping reel, the thumbar style reels made things so much easier! Most of my trolling, for everything, was done in shallower water though, 30 feet or less.

If you are using downriggers,, dipsys? I can see where a line counter would help, especially for walleye - trout - salmon suspended over deep water.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-Ultra-Mag-xl-Plus-NIB-/151829163404?hash=item2359b92d8c

No Capt, you put the switch in the on mode and the thumbar still releases the line, but as soon as you lease the thumbar the spool is engaged. If you shut off the flipping switch the reel operates like a normal baitcaster.

The 4th picture gives you the best look, those reels are for the late 70's-early 80's.

Edited by OhioFisherman

So instead of pressing the thumb bar to let line out and then turning the crank to stop the line release, you just hold the flipping switch down and line is released as long as you hold it down?

Then the spool stops as if the crank is turned?

Sounds perfect.

Yes, exactly. They are great for trolling bouncers for that reason.

S.

Sorry, I just Re-read his question.

pushing the thumb bar releases line, and letting off the thumb bar stops line. One handed line release, with no need to turn the handle. Great for bottom bouncing. Turn the flipping switch off and it works like a normal baitcaster.

S.

Edited by Sinker