Walleye day trip

Joeytier

Been trying to force myself to take more pictures of my backlake escapades. No photographers in my group of buddies so bear with my cellphone pics.

Spent the day on a back lake about 65 kms from town on the Kip river watershed on Monday. We ended up going in baitless which is never a good idea this time of year but we made it work and ended up locating some active fish. I was still sort of expecting fish to be spread out in their summer haunts, but this was definitely not the case as almost every fish we caught (and even marked) were in one exact spot. Not surprisingly, this was the mouth of the main inflow into the lake...33-37 FOW. I should've snapped a picture of the graph because they were stacked up like nothing I've ever seen before. I know we would've boated far more fish with worms or leeches, but we still boated somewhere between 15-20 walleyes using split tail minnows (Gulp and Impulse minnows mostly), and we missed both the dusk and dawn bites so I'm happy anyways.

WP_20150914_08_52_33_Pro_zpsnbjjzquz.jpg

Had a few KMs of this to get to our destination lake, even had a brand new beaver dam to contend with...

WP_20150914_09_10_06_Pro_zpsskiw5ipj.jpg

Doubled up on 14"ers...

WP_20150914_12_12_22_Pro_zpsyjqntmm5.jpg

The lone big boy of the trip (20.5")

WP_20150914_13_28_25_Pro_zpskbxh6e9j.jpg

Not bad for a few hours on a brand new lake!

WP_20150914_10_42_23_Pro_zpshztuniwy.jpg

That's all I do:)

I'd rather put more time and effort (and fuel) into getting to a remote spot for a few productive hours than pounding it out on pressured fish any day

You are an inspiration!

Must get into the remote places more often, just need to find someone up for it round here.

Just need to find someone up for it round here.

That's usually an issue for me as well. My day trips are early mornings, no cell reception and very likely I wont see a soul as soon I get off the paved road. Not for everyone I guess. I end up going solo fairly often, much to the girlfriends dismay haha