Cast # 578...help me hook up a muskie before #1000

scuro2

I've done a few weekend muskie trips and the only time I ever saw a wiff of a Muskie was when a huge muskie went after my 7 year old daughter's bait. She reeled as FAST as she could so it wouldn't bite the lure. :)

I'll be on a shield lake that has Muskie and I'm feeling lucky this time around, never been better prepared. Here is the one piece of general advice I'd like to have...what times of day and weather is least productive this time of year. Unfortunately I'll have to spend some time with family B)

make sure you're out there at before during and after sunset and any weather changes. does not hurt to look at the moon rise and fall as well.

personally, the hot part of the day is miller time but i am not sure if that's for my comfort or the fish. other guys have success in the midday heat. if it's overcast, fish all day.

Edited by Raf

I find it doesn't matter what time of day it is. Paul calls me the "Crack of noon" fisherman :) I find that we catch them when the water is choppy and it's hard to stand on the boat. You need good weeds and a good chop and overcast IMO.

Just my two cents worth. I can't live up to Raf or any other great musky fisherman's knowledge. Just seems it is when I catch mine :)

Good luck, and take a big net!!!!!

I'm no Musky guy but I do remember Dan trolling in the 3, 4 and up to the 5 mph range. I'm looking at heading back to the Nipissing West Arm this fall and would love to give it a shot myself without spending big bucks on the bricks they cast for those beasts. Trolling a harness I can do. I was thinking about using my 7.5 and 8 foot down rigging and Dipsy rods spooled with braid and a wire leader. Is that doable with those rods and line counters?

Put on a worm harness with Colorado silver blades and red beads and a big fat dew worm !!!! Put on a 3/8oz sinker about 20 inches up from the harness and a quality swivel and troll around at 1.5-2mph !!!!! Pretty simple eh ...

fishindevil, is this the famed bottom bouncing method of catching Muskie?

I'll return the favour to you. Next time you go down south target Tarpon, an awesome fish! Use leadcore to get you right on the bottom of coral reefs. Fish big black wobbly spoons mid day at the exact same speed you mentioned for Muskies. I think the Tarpon like them because they look like their main forage...stingrays!

Ty Raf for your response also...no further advice needed!

Edited by scuro2

It's the fish of 10,000 casts...You still have 9,422 to go ;)

Raf's advice is bang on.

Lucky you Pete, Im at about cast 9,500 so I should be bang on by the time we get in your boat...

I feel your pain Scuro, ive been tossing big baits for 2 years including 2 full days in the kawarthas this year tossing 8's and 10's and still havent even seen one!

Yep, all good advice. I really believe in the solunar tables and weather changes for musky. If you do raise a fish, go back there at a peak time, and usually they will hit.

Sheild lakes can be tricky. Some lake big muskies will be found over deep water chasing bait, while the next lake, they are structure oriented. If its a new lake, I would start by trolling, just ti cover water and locate structure. Once you find something interesting, work it over casting.

Im a first light/last light musky guy, but on windy/cloudy/ stormy days, anytime is a good time.

Also, every colour will work, as long as its black and orange!!

What area are you headed to? Im sure there is someone here with experience on the water you plan to fish. That kind of info is gold!!

Good luck!!!

S.

I was not a believer in the solunar tables until a recent fishing trip when I caught a pb walleye trolling pike spoons in mid-day high pressure sun.

Hate to give a location and irk those who primarily fish those waters. I'm very secretive about DIY tarpon spots. I'm a DIY type so have read plenty and don't mind the delayed gratification of figuring it out for yourself.

If morning and evening are decent times then would suit me perfectly with my family. How about steady rainy days...how will that fish compared to overcast days?

I was not a believer in the solunar tables until a recent fishing trip when I caught a pb walleye trolling pike spoons in mid-day high pressure sun.

Hate to give a location and irk those who primarily fish those waters. I'm very secretive about DIY tarpon spots. I'm a DIY type so have read plenty and don't mind the delayed gratification of figuring it out for yourself.

If morning and evening are decent times then would suit me perfectly with my family. How about steady rainy days...how will that fish compared to overcast days?

NO worries about location, I totally understand.

Rain is good. I like the nastier weather myself. Keeps the yahoos off the water too.

S.

Anytime is good muskie time just get out on the water, I have caught muskies in storms this year and also mid day blue bird and flat calm. Yes, some muskies were right on the majors of moon phases, and yes some were first and last light but if I had not been fish I wouldn't have caught those fish we got between what's considered the time that "fish don't bite"

Last weekend I went out muskie fishing for the day with my boat partner. It was great conditions all morning, we saw multiple fish but none would eat under "prime condition" it got hot and sunny and we boated our first fish at 11:45am. We went in to eat, relaxed and came back out. Same conditions unbearable heat and calm, within 20 minutes we boated a 46" fished until sundown and didn't even have a follow, stick with it on the non favorable times, it will pay off

newbies are my good luck charm. Over the past 2 years I have gotten at least 10 guys their first musky. I don't think I have ever been skunked with a musky virgin on board...now go with my regular fishing buddy? Oh ya, we may get skunked. If you strike out, let me know when you get back. Depending on where you live I may be able to get out with you. After all, you may be my ticket to success!

Shield Lakes can sometimes have lower densities of muskies population but more then make up for it in size, especially when oily forage are present, there are exceptions to this and some of the northern K Lakes ie Stony and Lovesick are 2 examples. It would appear you have your heart set on catching one casting, which is fine, but mixing in a little trolling to give your arms a rest, and a chance to rethink strategies is never a bad option, plus it gives you time to eat and rehydrate as well. the best times are when ever you have a chance to get out, as most do not have the ability with commitments to fish on true musky days, ie overcast, choppy days with a front moving in and a falling barometer, as a general rule I cast during low lite periods ie morning and evenings as fish tend to position shallower, as baitfish move shallower. In large bodies of water, for roamers or suspended fish which usually are the true giants of the system trolling is by far the best way, and most logical way to put your bait in front of more fish, in hope of triggering a strike. mix it up with both baits and techniques until you find a pattern that works, the largest and biggest muskies will be on the best available structure within the system whether its a reef, hump point etc and usually deeper water will almost always be very close by.

no it's not the bottom bouncer version but that works for sure !!! I usually troll for walleyes with bottom bouncers 1-1.5oz and troll with harnesses and at least 3-4 muskies every year while walleye fishing and have got a few over the years 48 inches and I never target muskies but always catch a few every year

fishindevil, is this the famed bottom bouncing method of catching Muskie?

I'll return the favour to you. Next time you go down south target Tarpon, an awesome fish! Use leadcore to get you right on the bottom of coral reefs. Fish big black wobbly spoons mid day at the exact same speed you mentioned for Muskies. I think the Tarpon like them because they look like their main forage...stingrays!

Ty Raf for your response also...no further advice needed!

make sure you're out there at before during and after sunset and any weather changes. does not hurt to look at the moon rise and fall as well.

He said it!

Muskies are the only fish I'll bother checking moon rise and set as well because funny thing is, much of my biggest and best have come between 1 to 5 pm while fishing in just the fall. Those fish hitting on the moon phase

Edited by Moosebunk