"Chute"-ing Fish in a Barrel, Nemegosenda Fly-in Report

chris.brock

There's an old outpost built in the 40's in the Chapleau region. There's very little online information about the place. The outfitter doesn't advertise and won't even answer his phone.

Adam posted a while back here on OFC, "Does anybody know anything about the "Chutes"? He included a picture of a cabin nestled in spruce trees, perched on a rock, over looking a pretty rapids and falls.

I had found the same information Adam had come across. I had actually chatted with Richard (the owner of the Chutes) a few years back. He only answered his phone because he thought he knew who the caller was, a friend calling him back.

It took dozens of polite voice mail messages I left for Richard, but this previous winter, my party booked the Chutes.

I sent a cheque for a deposit to a guy who doesn't answer his phone or return messages, and hoped for the best.

Well, we actually went.

group%20shot_zpsnsgwtlcx.jpg

This was kind of funny. Mike Borger's forum doesn't get tonnes of activity. There's great discussions and reports on there though. In the late winter, a guy's first post is "Does anybody know anything about the "Chutes"? This set off a long chain of replies from guys who wanted to know more and from guys who had been there at some point. There was also talk about Richard's phobia of the telephone.

I love the historic, old camps and this was like an exclusive club I was going to become a member of.

Getting to the Chutes is a long process. We drove to Foleyet. Air Ivanhoe flies Richard's clients into a camp called the Pines

flight_zpsvfcu296f.jpg

, then it's a 25 km boat ride to the Chutes.

The Pines

100_3499_zpszo0zt5fj.jpg

25 km takes a long time when the boats are loaded with gear/ food/ beer, but it was a beautiful evening and we all enjoyed the ride.

100_3479_zpsscos0p3u.jpg

It is a truly unique spot for a camp.

looking%20down%20the%20chute_zps5vllde1i

Below the Chutes, is likely the most prolific walleye spot on the river.

100_3482_zps1drvo6ae.jpg

You can fish above or below the Chutes. We had a lawn tractor/ trailer to haul gear, outboards and gas cans around. The tractor was also used for recreational trail riding.

The lower river was surprisingly deep with an average of 15 and holes to 35

elevated%20chutes_zpscl4mxpri.jpg

100_3496_zps0bdrociu.jpg

Above, Frog Lake was better for pike. Depths over 120". Big head, no body.

100_3492_zpsw6uifvgk.jpg

boat%20seats_zpseshqxgjz.jpg

Teagan won the big pike award at only 10 lbs with this fish he didn't want to hold.

It's a great camp for family trip.

100_3510_zpsqhkux88j.jpg

We lit fires on the beach.

100_3514_zpsvuy6qys1.jpg

We nailed some beauty pickerels right below the Chutes.

100_3517_zpscfugnncg.jpg

Selfie

s_zps5p0usewi.jpg

Casting Quinkies after dark from the shore below the Chutes was a blast.

100_3506_zpspokkwetk.jpg

With our headlights, we could see the glowing eyes below the Chutes.

c_zpsdnzzgenn.jpg

We all said the Chutes was a great pick. Another trip come and gone.

100_3495_zpsefduud1w.jpg

The fishing was a little better than I expected. It was close to the lowest total of 340 fish we've experienced on our trips.

Thanks to Ryan Couts. He gave me some small scale, detailed maps from his almost 30 years of Chutes fishing. We hear ya, the Chutes rocks!

Edited by chris.brock

Awesome Chris! Was looking forward to this report. Would love to make it there sometime, mostly for the recreational lawn tractor riding...

Without much ground clearance and crappy tires, the tractor would get hung up a lot. We did bushwack it back to Skink Lake.

You guys leaving soon? I hope you didn't have to cancel.

Ha, that's awesome. It slipped my mind that you were heading there is summer. Looks like you guys had a pretty good trip. What was the cabin like?

Cabin was great. 4 bedrooms and a bunkie we didn't use. 2 ice cold fridges. A CB radio to chat with Rodney at Gosenda Lodge. No BBQ sucked for steaks and burgers though, and the mice and squirrels are running around inside.

Big mound of bear poo was left while we were out fishing, but never saw the bear.

Thanks for the report Chris looks like you boys had a great trip and it sure is a nice spot I tried about 5yrs ago to contact Richard after numerous phone calls and no one ever answering the phone I just gave up so we flew in to the Shawmere River outpost camp with Air Ivanhoe that year and had an awesome trip 3 more weeks to go and I will be flying into the Chapleau game preserve to fish Bonar Lake well thanks again for the great photos and report.

Cheers Mitch