Best place for trophy largemouth?

KraTToR

Now that the smallies have scattered and gone deep, its onto looking for trophy largies.

I'm not asking for details around your private honey holes (you can always PM it to me tho..:-)), just info on which bodies of water carry the big bucket mouths.

I've fished Cooks Bay and Long point but they seem to be better small mouth fisheries.

Although I'm expecting replys to come back with Scugog and Rice, what else comes to mind?

What about the north east end of Lake St. Clair?

Thanks in advance!.

Well trophy fish don't always come from large bodies of water !!!! A small lake may not support huge nber a of big fish but may support a true trophy !!! Know what I mean ... The biggest bass I have ever seen but didn't catch ... Spent 3hrs trying to after I seen him was in a lake no more than 1/2 mile long and 1/2 mile wide tops !!!!! So don't ever underestimate a smaller lake or river cause you think it has to be like lake simcoe to support huge bass ..... It depends on lots of factors including bait availiable spawning sites fishing pressure and water levels to name a few. I regularly fish 10-15 different lakes every summer for both smallies being my fav and for buckets and those lakes variy in size a lot !!! Some lakes have good numbers of fish but not big ones other lakes have a lot lower numbers of fish but for sure have produced me 4-5 lb fish !!!!! Sometimes going a little off the beaten path and finding a few lakes that people seen to just drive right by will produce the fish of your dreams !!!! Something to think about !!!!

Well trophy fish don't always come from large bodies of water !!!!

You've got that right Shaun, this big girl came from Katchawanooka which is one of the smallest lakes in the Kawarthas.

And I don't even fish for bass.

Cnv0078.jpg

Edited by lew

http://top-bass.ca/

http://www.ontariobass.com/2014-hank-gibson-qualifer-results.html

Good points listed, research some of your areas bass tournament results? A pattern can probably be seen there as it does here. Some lakes here are known for numbers, rarely a fish over 4 pounds though, others are known as lakes where a 4 pounder probably won't big enough.

A lake's size rarely seems to have any impact on the size of bass in it, food supply is a lot more important. Some lakes, even with a lot of fishing pressure still produce consistently larger fish.

No doubt that some of these smaller lakes can produce big bass, I have seen and caught it. But the fact is bigger water produce bigger fish. For example simcoe, tournament just wrapped up there this weekend 2 teams weighed over 25lbs each day. Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, lake St. Clair, Georgian bay, these are all very large bodies of water that constantly produce big fish. And not just one species, pike, muskey, walleye lakers all larger in these types of waters.

depends on what kind of atmosphere your looking for, any of the main kawartha lakes produce huge bass, tri-lakes and rice and seymour have had several 8lb buckets come from them, but also deal with more boats and the goon squads, lakes on the crow river system all produce nice sized bass, right from bancroft area down, paudash, chandos, round, belmont crow lakes all nice and not always as busy.

i ve taken my canoe into some backwoods smaller lakes and have caught 3-5lbers all day long, low fishin pressure and almost no harvest grow em big in the backwoods

You have to do some legwork to find the good lakes. There are 2 lakes close to my place, both almost identical in size/depth. One is a goldmine for big smallies and largemouth, the other is full of dinks. Time on the water, and getting the trust of knowledgeable locals is the key.

not sure about the smallies moving "deep" ya they might be off the edges but i guess "deep" is a relative term...my understanding is that they definitely arent in fall mode chasing baitballs in 60 FOW of water quite yet.

Dunno about anyone else here but the size on pigeon and buckhorn is way down this year compared to other years.

Not sure how its going on the other lakes, but we havent found anything over 5 yet this year.

Edited by AKRISONER