What would you do??

Beavertail

So my new 30hp Etec motor finally came in...took the boat down to the marina to have it mounted. I stood and watched as the "mechanic" used a jig and drilled 4 holes through my transom. Just as soon as he was done I could tell just by eyeballing it that the holes were off centre so I asked him. He measured again and sure enough they are off by over 3/4". Now he has to drill 4 new holes!!!! In essence each hole now looks like a figure eight. He gooped them up with silicone and said it wasn't an issue. However, I am very pissed off at this complete lack of professionalism. Turns out the guy isn't a mechanic but the salesman/owner and filling in for the mechanic who was on lunch. Am I out to lunch and making a mountain out of a molehill or is this a legitimate concern?. I realize mistakes happen and what's done is done, but I feel like the oversized holes compromise the mounting system. What would you do?

Edited by Beavertail

Serious, then what?

I stood and watched as the "mechanic" used a jig and drilled 4 holes through my transom. Just as soon as he was done I could tell just by eyeballing it that the holes were off centre so I asked him. He measured again and sure enough they are off by over 3/4". Now he has to drill 4 new holes!!!! In essence each hole now looks like a figure eight. He gooped them up with silicone and said it wasn't an issue. However, I am very pissed off at this complete lack of professionalism. Turns out the guy isn't a mechanic but the salesman/owner and filling in for the mechanic who was on lunch

Edited by Brian B

I would be telling them I won't accept it and either want a new hull or a full refund. If they don't want to do either then I would be taking it to court and they will end up giving you a refund but they will be paying court costs and have a judgement against them. You bought and paid for new, not a hack job.

If what you say ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Then you need no help. The problem will be, will you except a new built transom??????????

It,s a bull crap job and thanks Cliff, for voicing.

Edited by Brian B

First of all as a self employed business owner in the service industry, hes got to eat it. He screwed it up, so hes got to fix it! If he doesn't, hes a fool! As the old saying goes "do a good job" they tell 10 people, "do a lousy one" they tell 100 people. How old is the boat, is the transom even easily replaceable? If you stopped the cheque hell be calling shortly. Now you are in charge! Tell him calmly and do not budge on what you want done to make it right, thats all! Be firm when he calls and asking for a new transom is not unrealistic. if thats what you want dont settle for anything less.

Pending which side it was off center to... I may have told him to mount it in the original holes he drilled. Too late now, I certainly wouldn't have let him drill twice.

Hope he used a huge thick washer to spread that load out from the figure 8 !

Brand new motor. Boat is used, but barely, Lund Rebel 1440v with barely a scratch on it. Only had 2 previous holes in the transom (maybe 2" from the top) for a Yamaha outboard with different bolt pattern. I was re-powering it.

Edited by Beavertail

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, too late now, however, if someone else is doing the poking and measuring, I confirm before a drill starts turning. The dealer would be putting in a new interior transom with a wide and high enough 3/16" aluminum plate on the exterior, properly sealed with 3M5200, none of that silicone -----.

properly sealed with 3M5200, none of that silicone -----.

Funny thing, I brought a tube of 5200 with me for him to use...I was too late as he already starting applying the silicone before I noticed, when I asked him to stop and use the 5200 he looked at me like I had 2 heads. This whole experience was a cluster from the get go. Why is good work so hard to find?????

I definitely would be causing hell. You put a stop cheque on that motor? Good, soon as he calls you tell him he will get the money when he gives you money to repair the transom. Till that happens enjoy the motor at no cost.

This is why I like rigging my boat. My merc was factory installed but everything else I did in my garage at my own pace nice and slow. May have taken me double the time but I know it's done correct. Too bad nan this should be a happy time.

. Pick a time when the place is busy, and start expressing your concerns about the quality or concern, loudly. As loudly as you can without actually yelling. It has proved to be a very effective strategy for me on more than one big ticket item.

Id like to know who it is as well...we once bought a time share and put down a deposit. Then after researching it that night decided to pass, the operator would not take our call. So my wife walked in just as another session was about to start and got loud. Money was back on our card pronto!

Something like what's pictured, might be a compromise; that would bring the structural integrity back to the transom?

I wouldn't want a marina begrudgingly replacing my transom.

P4300276.jpg

Any decent metal fabricating shop, could custom make one; out of aluminum or stainless.

Dan.

What is it you really want ? the fact is the boat has 2 holes already in it from the previous motor and you didn't put in a work order for those to be repaired. The person simply made a mistake as an owner of the shop he felt he had the ability to drill 2 holes and mount your motor being around boats all of the years he has owned the place. It wasn't greed that he made the decision to drill the holes he was trying to get your project done so you could go on about your day in a timely manner. He can't make the holes disappear but he can fill them in with a waterproof substance and spread the load out with a plate of aluminum that covers the holes 3 inches out no big deal. If you are out for revenge then you are worse than the guy who made the mistake his was an accident while your motives are to do damage on purpose not a good score in the karma factor. This is why you are finding signs more often that customers are not allowed into the shop because sometimes in the process of repairing car etc. you might have to fix a stripped bolt or other issue that occurs that has no long term bearing on the item but just lets the customer find a reason to be dissatisfied. If it is money then you shouldn't own a boat if 50 bucks back will make you better. If you are looking for justice you will not get it you are not a judge the best you will get is vigilantism which is the exact opposite of justice. This is not aimed at you personally it goes to everyone to think what your goal is and then decide if your action is going to go into a positive direction.

Just my say

Art

What is it you really want ? the fact is the boat has 2 holes already in it from the previous motor and you didn't put in a work order for those to be repaired. The person simply made a mistake as an owner of the shop he felt he had the ability to drill 2 holes and mount your motor being around boats all of the years he has owned the place. It wasn't greed that he made the decision to drill the holes he was trying to get your project done so you could go on about your day in a timely manner. He can't make the holes disappear but he can fill them in with a waterproof substance and spread the load out with a plate of aluminum that covers the holes 3 inches out no big deal. If you are out for revenge then you are worse than the guy who made the mistake his was an accident while your motives are to do damage on purpose not a good score in the karma factor. This is why you are finding signs more often that customers are not allowed into the shop because sometimes in the process of repairing car etc. you might have to fix a stripped bolt or other issue that occurs that has no long term bearing on the item but just lets the customer find a reason to be dissatisfied. If it is money then you shouldn't own a boat if 50 bucks back will make you better. If you are looking for justice you will not get it you are not a judge the best you will get is vigilantism which is the exact opposite of justice. This is not aimed at you personally it goes to everyone to think what your goal is and then decide if your action is going to go into a positive direction.

Just my say

Art

No offense but if that is your attitude about doing work for PAY, then I would never be a customer of yours. Just slapping a cheap patch over a mistake like that isn't anywhere near professional where I come from.... To each their own though, but blaming the customer is never a good long term business strategy.

I would expect him to repair the boat as his expense. You took your boat to him in good faith to have a job done that should've been very simple. His mistake, his cost to fix it up. If you wanted to drill the holes off center, you could've just done that yourself with the help of a couple of beers! Also seems like he would've just kept his mouth shut and sent you on your way had you not noticed, which is really not cool at all. Agree with the stop payment on the cheque. Also document everything as well as you can (looks like you've done a good job of that).

Aplumma, what am I after? Just a job well done, nothing more nothing less. I'm not out for revenge, if I was I would have pasted his name all over the place. Turns out we had a civil discussion this morning and he agreed to pay for my transom repairs. My hats off to the guy, and my faith in people restored. Now he just has to stay away from the power tools!!!