True story. I was out on Honey Harbour in my buddies boat when we got pulled over a few years ago. We had everything except a flashlight and whistle. The officer asked for those two items so my buddy opened his tackle box and pretended that he had them in there, but didn't show them. They fell for it and they went on with there business. So if any of you guys forgot anything just do what he did, but it may be a problem if there's no life jacket or whores.

Edited by LostAnotherOne

They're just doing their jobs, its like a RIDE program for boaters. just deal with it and move on.

I was told by a local officer that there is a minimum number of tickets they need to reach. He explained it this way, Officer Joe goes out day in day out, and consistantly hands out 40 tickets. Officer John goes out day in, day out and consistantly hands out 35 tickets, you go out day in, day out and consistantly hand out 10 tickets. Can you justify your job as an officer on patrol in a performance review? Your job as an officer on patrol is to be on look out for violations of the law, no matter how big or small. if your performance isn't adding up to other officers, why should they keep you?

Just wish the water cops on Lake Ontario could get their **** straight.

Some feel a nautical map is law and required, others feels it is a "should have", and finally others feel unless you are miles off shore, you don't need it.

This is all from the SAME COP BOAT (but different cops on the boat).

MNR, Coast Guard, and even RCMP boats don't ask for it...but the marine cops sure do (at least some of them do).

Then of course, for those who actually read the regulations (like I do), question back the cops and ask them to test your "knowledge".

Cops then look at you confused, because they themselves don't know the rules, lol.

They're just doing their jobs, its like a RIDE program for boaters. just deal with it and move on.

I was told by a local officer that there is a minimum number of tickets they need to reach. He explained it this way, Officer Joe goes out day in day out, and consistantly hands out 40 tickets. Officer John goes out day in, day out and consistantly hands out 35 tickets, you go out day in, day out and consistantly hand out 10 tickets. Can you justify your job as an officer on patrol in a performance review? Your job as an officer on patrol is to be on look out for violations of the law, no matter how big or small. if your performance isn't adding up to other officers, why should they keep you?

Well, that's easy ... have you ever seen the Cop Union in action?

You basically can't get fired from being a cop....Hamilton police are an example of that....

If you don't give out as many tickets as a peer, you sure as hell aren't getting fired....

I was young and very very dumb. Lived in fort frances and worked in ear falls at the time.

Just bought a new car and very stupidly decided to see what it was governed out at on a straight stretch on the 502.

Got dinged doing 182 in an 80.

Unreal stupid I know.

OPP asked me about why I was going so fast and I answered honestly. He seen the babyseat in the back and new darn well I needed a vehicle for work.

Dropped me down to 110 in a 80 so I wouldnt lose my license.

Very nice guy BTW.

No tickets since. I speed, but never over 10km/h

Lesson learned

And honestly he coulda saved my life? Who knows???

Lotsa moose on that highway

Well, that's easy ... have you ever seen the Cop Union in action?

You basically can't get fired from being a cop....Hamilton police are an example of that....

If you don't give out as many tickets as a peer, you sure as hell aren't getting fired....

No but your career is going no where.... Like everywhere else there are guys that don't work hard, but for some guys the only way up is to work hard and ticket numbers count

And honestly if you don't work you can be charged with neglect of duty which kills any chance for you to be an investigator or considered an expert in court

And the majority of cops use the union not for protection from getting fired but from false complaints, OPIRD investigations and over zealous command staff

Edited by FishnNAutographs

Your job as an officer on patrol is to be on look out for violations of the law, no matter how big or small. if your performance isn't adding up to other officers, why should they keep you?

Because they are unionized and would need to kill someone (not a bad guy) to get fired. ;)

I would venture a guess this discussion could go on for many pages.

I was just told Sunday by a former commercial fisherman that is MANDATORY for all boaters to have navigational maps on board your vessel for all waters in Canada that are charted which includes Ontario and so far Quebec. That is unless you can show that you are able to locate where you are visually. Don't quote me but a boat past a certain size must have maps on board unless more than 100 meters from shore. I have no idea how someone can identify visually where they are in a fog or where land can't be seen. It really makes me shake my head when I see guys going out 10 miles from shore here without a compass, or have a compass but didn't take a heading going out of port. Where we fish the Hydro stacks at Nanticoke can be seen from miles away. I've seen them from the I-90 on the US side. But in a fog you can't see the front of your own boat some days. What was this thread about again????

Let me ask a question. If you are in the OPP and you are chosen to work spring to the end of fall patrolling the pristine waters of Ontario that happens to be laden with Bikini clad women sunning on the decks of boats would you try your best to do a great job and have to get help to carry all the summons' into the Commanders office would you do a stellar job or not? I guess you could be sent to North western Ont. and deal with ManitouBass2 all summer or sit on the 401 in Blast Furnace like heat sucking in C0 all day. Your choice.

Last year fishing Temagami we were stopped. MNR, and OPP in the same boat. First check was for licenses, my brother had forgot his in the tent but they said he was ok, I showed mine. Then it was for safety gear, opened the fishing deck to show lifejackets and anchor, next was the stowaway compartment, where we keep our safety supplies, high powered spot lamp, safety kit, spare prop among other things. Although I had checked the flashlight prior to leaving and had the big spot they still wanted to see the small one work. It didnt. MNR officer told me to shake the flashlight, it came on. Next was for fish. Now this is where I was kind of perturbed. After opening the livewell the OPP officer stepped into our boat. He wanted to make sure there was nothing in the live well. At this point there was only one compartment left in the boat we had not opened so they could see inside. Before leaving our boat the officer turns and opens that last compartment. He looks at me and says "any fish in here"?. Now, I didnt like the fact he helped himself to view what was in that compartment. We had already shown them everything they asked for, but he seemed to be looking for something else. He looked in to see all our fishing supplies. While we kept the exchange friendly and had no issues with him looking there, (all he had to do was ask), I dont think he had the right to do that on his own. Everything went well and they were on their way.

Respect was given both ways and the exchange went quickly, and was fairly pleasant. Keep it simple, so its simple to keep.

I have no problem with cops what so ever. You guys can sugar coat it all you want but the marine unit is out there to generate cash. Do you think for one minute that if an officer in the marine division didn't produce lots of tickets at the end of his shift that he would remain in that unit. Of course not he would be back on hwy patrol in no time flat.

The lowest fruit always gets picked first (fisherman). I can go out on the Ottawa River in my fishing boat and I will be checked by the opp probably 75% of the times I go out. I go out on the same river with my 26 ft cruiser sometimes for a week at a time and I have never been approached by the cops. Not once in 12 years. Go figure.

I have no problem with cops what so ever. You guys can sugar coat it all you want but the marine unit is out there to generate cash. Do you think for one minute that if an officer in the marine division didn't produce lots of tickets at the end of his shift that he would remain in that unit. Of course not he would be back on hwy patrol in no time flat.

The lowest fruit always gets picked first (fisherman). I can go out on the Ottawa River in my fishing boat and I will be checked by the opp probably 75% of the times I go out. I go out on the same river with my 26 ft cruiser sometimes for a week at a time and I have never been approached by the cops. Not once in 12 years. Go figure.

BINGO..........that is exactly what I have previously said.......but you my friend hit it out of the park.

I was pulled over on the long weekend, fishing for pike the pulled up right behind us without is having a clue. Our flashlight didn't work but I keep a crank up one on the boat do I passed and they were quite nice and to the point and fair, I have to say. Upon parting ways one of the officers even gave us a couple of spots that produced fish....

There are some who consider being checked a PITA. But for others including myself we realize there is a reason for what they do.

On the BOQ two young men have already lost their lives. Not wearing life jackets in a tinny/ not being prepared ? Who's to say. Too late for them now anyways.

When on the water all it takes is three more inches of water the you are tall and if not a good swimmer you are done. It's not like a car where you can just get out and walk.

If not for yourself then for family, Kids, Wife's Mothers, Fathers ,brothers, sisters. Keep all safety gear in good order at all times.

And remember these are the same people who will put themselves in danger to rescue your ass.

Regards