Photos of out of season fish...

kickingfrog

From my own observations, I've seen guys take 30 seconds to unhook fish and then another 2 minutes grabbing their phone from a bag, fiddling around with it and then taking multiple shots over and over again because the first few didn't turn out well. The fish is tossed back in the water after an extended (and unnecessary) period of time.

That's the point of the legislation. The rule was written down not to eliminate OOS pictures from social media (although that would be a result). It's there to minimize the amount of unnecessary mortality when it comes to the capture of Out of Season fish.

For the guys complaining that they still would like to take pics of OOS fish, the laws could be a lot tougher. Some fisheries, (particularly on the west coast) have made it illegal to remove fish from the water even for photographic purposes (unless you plan to keep them).

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/recreation/activities/fishing/caring_for_your_catch.print.html

Then they should eliminate tournies involving livewells too

There's a bass fishing tournament show on WFN where the weigh guys are right on the participant's boat...Who knows...

From my own observations, I've seen guys take 30 seconds to unhook fish and then another 2 minutes grabbing their phone from a bag, fiddling around with it and then taking multiple shots over and over again because the first few didn't turn out well. The fish is tossed back in the water after an extended (and unnecessary) period of time.

That's the point of the legislation. The rule was written down not to eliminate OOS pictures from social media (although that would be a result). It's there to minimize the amount of unnecessary mortality when it comes to the capture of Out of Season fish.

For the guys complaining that they still would like to take pics of OOS fish, the laws could be a lot tougher. Some fisheries, (particularly on the west coast) have made it illegal to remove fish from the water even for photographic purposes (unless you plan to keep them).

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/recreation/activities/fishing/caring_for_your_catch.print.html

That's why smartphones are so great! Pull it out of your pocket ... touch one button ... click ... back in the water. The entire process literally takes 5 seconds.

This whole oos fish pics thing is annoying. I take pics of oos fish if I get the chance, and I will guarantee they all swim away no worse for wear. Prove me wrong and I guess I would pay a fine. Too many friggen whiners these days. Get over it and grow a set!

S.

There are too many whiners. Grow a set and release oos fish immediately as the law has always stated.

The wording was added because people doing exactly what you do were too confused and "whining" about getting tickets for taking photos of oos fish. Love those hero shots of your 2lb oos fish.

Pulling bass off of beds does impact the fishery. Proved wrong. Ticket is in the mail.

"A person may not fish for a species (even if immediately released) during the closed season for that species on a given water. Fish caught during the closed season must be unhooked and released immediately. They may not be handled for any other purpose, including taking a picture."

It's not that difficult to follow.

Love those hero shots of your 2lb oos fish.

Pulling bass off of beds does impact the fishery. Proved wrong. Ticket is in the mail.

When I catch 4 and 5lb smallies off a main basin weed edge while fishing walleye, I take a photo and release. Takes maybe 2 seconds longer than just removing the hook and releasing. BIG DEAL!!

I cant stand bass. I dont target them AT ALL. Fishing them off beds for a "hero shot" of a 2lber is the last thing I want to be doing when ii have time to be on the water.

I get that some people take too long, or improperly handle them, possibly causing damage, but thats not me.

Lets say, for example, your son hooks a new PB bass while pike fishing. Your not going to get a photo?? Riiiiight!!! Gimme a break!!

The intent of the law, and the written letter of the law are two different things.

S.

My cottage is on a NY lake impacted by these laws.

I can tell you from personal experience that OVER-HARVEST is what hurts the bass population, not OOS fishing. And definitely not snapping photos of OOS fish that get released.

If lawmakers truly cared about the fish population, they would implement slot limits and lower creel limits .... instead of worrying about people taking pictures of released fish.

The Ontario summary does not say.... "may not be handled for any other purpose or for taking a picture", Rob. As many know this has been beaten to death here and I am in possession of a letter from the North Bay district CO's and Biologist that they would never consider charging someone for taking a picture of an OOS fish unless they had to haul it somewhere other than the boat to get a picture. The thought behind that, they would also have to fine anyone that was taking pictures of in season fish (and releasing them) and had done so with each fish beyond the daily possession limit.

Edited by irishfield

The Ontario summary does not say.... "may not be handled for any other purpose or for taking a picture", Rob. As many know this has been beaten to death here and I am in possession of a letter from the North Bay district CO's and Biologist that they would never consider charging someone for taking a picture of an OOS fish unless they had to haul it somewhere other than the boat to get a picture. The thought behind that, they would also have to fine anyone that was taking pictures of in season fish (and releasing them) and had done so with each fish beyond the daily possession limit.

Do us all a favour and scan the letter and post it here for all to see, please help stop the insanity!!!!

The thought behind that, they would also have to fine anyone that was taking pictures of in season fish (and releasing them) and had done so with each fish beyond the daily possession limit.

Again, it comes down to the people in the field to take the brunt of the legislation while the pencil pushers and lawmakers get to feel like they've done something. Kudos to them for putting some practical sense into this matter

Whats the difference in OOS and under/over slot size?

I see aa ton of undersize musky pics,,,,OOS??

What about over slot walleyes? Can I take a photo and release, or not?

Stupid, stupid rule.

I wont abide by it just out of spite, its so stupid. Call the CO, I just took a pic of a fishh....

S.

Whats the difference in OOS and under/over slot size?

I see aa ton of undersize musky pics,,,,OOS??

What about over slot walleyes? Can I take a photo and release, or not?

Stupid, stupid rule.

I wont abide by it just out of spite, its so stupid. Call the CO, I just took a pic of a fishh....

S.

You can't figure out the difference between an out of season fish and one that's still legal to angle for but under or over the possession limit?

Stop trolling, lol this thread is just starting to get silly now. To me a OOS fish doesn't count as anything, PB, whatever. It's out of season, you can't legally fish for it, what's the point of taking a pic?

Now, if a kid catches it I've got zero problem with it. Grown adult men taking pics of OOS fish to show their buddies, is pretty funny.

Edited by BillM

If I catch a 8lb bass or 55in musky this weekend by accident, I might nab a quick shot. Or if I'm with a kid who catches their biggest fish. Otherwise I'd never do it.

I understand the need for a rule to state no pics to enforce oos fish handling practices. Most of us on here I'd hope don't snap pics of oos fish on the regular. But I would be happy to see a CO give someone a ticket for mishandling oos fish any day.