Popped bearing buddies?

Joeytier

Just had the spring pop out of my bearing buddy while greasing, and what looks like a small o-ring seal. There was definitely a 'popping' sound, so I obviously lost my seal. Is this buddy still salvageable? I'm about 45 mins from anywhere that would carry them so I'm hoping all is not lost. I lost the rubber cap on this side and the replacements I bought were coming off every time I trailered so grit and dirt was allowed to get in, but I figured that since it was packed tight with grease, the grit was only contacting the very outside grease, staying away from any parts in the bearing.

unnamed.jpg

Well, I did some reading, and it turns out I knew a lot less about these buddies than I thought (my first trailer with them) lol.

The good news is that I didn't blow out the rear seal, but I was definitely overpacking both bearings, like to the point of packing until excess was coming out of the sides...at least I know now. So the bearing is still packed tight, o-ring back in, and covered up. The only thing that is not in there is the spring, which I'm sure I can do without until I'm ready to repack again (?), at which point I'll just replace both buddies anyway, since they could be as old as the trailer for all I know (08). No other bearing systems have a spring loaded system that I know of, so I don't see how not having a spring in there is going to hurt me at least for the short run.

I learned the hard way too, when installing new bearing buddies only install as deep as the inscribed ring, make sure the vent hole is clean and try to use a piece of wood between the hammer and the buddy.

Glad it worked out for u, when u buy the next pack buy two so u have a spare

Just repack the bearings, and get normal caps. The bearing buddies are just a gimmick IMO.

If the grease can't get out, there is no need to be adding any....right? And, if grease can't get out, water can't get in, correct?

So why does everyone have bearing buddies and stuff them with grease every trip??........because they don't know any better, that's why.

That's my take on bearing buddies. NO need for them whatsoever.

S.

Just repack the bearings, and get normal caps. The bearing buddies are just a gimmick IMO.

If the grease can't get out, there is no need to be adding any....right? And, if grease can't get out, water can't get in, correct?

So why does everyone have bearing buddies and stuff them with grease every trip??........because they don't know any better, that's why.

S.

Spent a couple of years building boat trailers for a major manufacturer. Sinker X 2

S.

Better yet, don't back your trailer into the water. :tease::lol: I wonder how Billy is doing?

Spent a couple of years building boat trailers for a major manufacturer. Sinker X 2

X3

Manually repack the bearings twice a year; once at the end of the season and at about half way through the season. Why those time frames; you don't want to put the trailer away with water contaminated grease, to sit and rust over the winter. Half way through the season, for peace of mind that they're ok.

Been doing that for years and have never had a bearing failure, out on the road; knock on wood.

Dan.

Personally I like them.

When backing a warm hub assy. into the lake the small amount of pressure provided can help keep out water when the hubs are contracted by the cold water

Bingo !! That is exactly how bearing buddies work. they keep a couple of pounds of positive pressure in the hubs so the water does not enter when hub is dunked in cold water.

I have them on my boat trailer for the last 12 years and the bearings and grease still look brand new when I inspect them every couple of years.

Problem is that people overload them with grease and once the back seal pops, the pressure is lost and it defeats the purpose of having the bearing buddies.

There's no doubt that buddies do work; they keep the bearings lubed between servicings. Huds still need to be disassembled and bearings inspected on a regular basis.

People have to remember that a lot of these trailers are running relatively smaller wheels than an automotive wheel/tire assemblies. These little guys and their bearings could be spinning twice as fast as the tow vehicle's and need to be respected for the extra work they're doing.

Dan.

My trailer axle has an EZ lube system. The grease nipple is on the end of the spindle, and sends grease to the inside bearing first, then to the outside, then out the relief hole. I havent added grease in years. I check them in the fall, and they're always good. If grease cant get out, water cant get in. Its simple.

S.

My trailer axle has an EZ lube system. The grease nipple is on the end of the spindle, and sends grease to the inside bearing first, then to the outside, then out the relief hole. I havent added grease in years. I check them in the fall, and they're always good. If grease cant get out, water cant get in. Its simple.

S.

Those hubs/axels are awesome!!!

The only thing better is the oil bath hubs. :)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I still cannot believe that trailers (of all types) are still using tapered roller bearings, that need servicing on an annual basis. Why haven't they gone with sealed bearing/hub assemblies; they've been used for automotive applications for years.

Is it cost?

Dan