Electrical Cord questions

Need to get a 50ft electrical cord to plug in my 30ft string of christmas lights I hang on the front of the house. This is the only purpose for this cord. I have heavy duty 12 gauge ones for other purposes.

My question is.... will a 16 gauge cord be good enough for this purpose? Checked them out today and the 16 gauge ones are on sale at Crappy Tire for 1/4 the price of 12 gauge. Just trying to save a few bucks....but I don't wanna be cheap if it is going to be any kind of a problem.

Thank you to anyone who can help me with this.

Thx Burtess just edited my post. I had my numbers mixed up. Basically I need to know if the light duty cords will handle the job of supplying power for my Christmas lights or should I go to a medium or heavy duty cord?

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Strictly cost Brian. 50ft light duty extension cord $14.99. I'll save a few bucks if I can but not at the risk of doing something foolish.

You got my interest here? What foolish? The cost or the making your own sealed extension?

LED or regular lights Steve?

LOL. The strings of lights I have Cliff where given to us by my Great Aunt when we bought our first house. They are older then me....hell they might be older then you :rofl2: I have a big shopping bag of old bulbs and I usually have to replace 3 or 4 every year when I hang them up.

Funny I really love a lot of the new LED light options now and every Christmas I think about getting something new and different but I just can't part with Aunt Tress's gift.

But to your question...is there a difference?

Here is some help for you

amps X volts = watts

watts divided by volts = amps

start up load on a motor is usually 1.5 times the total amp reading. This is handy when figuring fuse size and generator load calculations.

Art

That's all I wanted to know. Called light duty and it said 50ft could handle 10 AMPS. Not being an electrician don't have a clue what that means.

After figuring out that the 16awg cord can handle up to 1,200 watts (120v x 10 amps) your next step is to figure out how many watts the old string of lights will use. For example, assuming each bulb uses 5 watts then you should be able to power up 240 bulbs (1200 watts divided by 5 watts each).