Shaft Enhancement for Dummies !

irishfield

So as I told you last week...my new Motorguide W75-24-60 just barely made it into the water and was good for nothing but a bow decoration. The local Motorquide warrantee center (Backwater Tackle) has tried for a week to get Motorquide to send him a custom 78" shaft. The most he/Brian got out of them so far is that they are coming out with a 70" wireless in June for the 2008 model year. I would have even settled for that to get me navigable for Lakair in a week..but couldn't even get them to commit to sending a shaft for one of those... even though they have already started producing them.

I was at witts end today...going as far as looking at composite shafts on tree loppers in CTC and Home depot..trying to find something I could make a shaft out of. Gave up and went back to the repair center. The difficulty with lengthing the shaft is that the entire length has to be smooth..so it can slide thru the motor coupling. A light bulb went off and I knew I could flush join them from the inside. I asked Brian for an old shaft that he'd removed on warrantee. Unfortunately he didn't have any..as he has to send them in for credit. Just then the courier shows up...with low and behold... a 48", 52" and 60" shaft that he'd ordered for stock. I asked how much and for $45 I was on my way home.

Not exactly what someone wants to do...tear apart a brand new $1200 unit...but what's a guy to do that wants to position a boat thru the rocks of Nipissing in 14 days?

mg1.jpg

Open the sucker up and clip the motor wires.

mg2.jpg

Stuck a piece of 3/4" - 4130N chrome moly tubing in the lathe and took a bit off for a good interference fit with the ID of the shaft..and cut a 6" piece.

mg3.jpg

Joined the wires with some high quality crimps and shrink tubed. Be sure to mark which wire is which before continuing if you use two white wires like I did. Will save you some grief later! :wallbash:

mg4.jpg

mg5.jpg

Tube in and some slight persuasion to the 1/2 way mark.

mg6.jpg

mg7.jpg

Now take a deep breath and drill thru for rivets. Seriously carefully drill 'till it just pops thru..then get a steel wire and make sure the electrical and sonar wires are out of the way...then drill the rest of the way thru. Be sure to turn upside down and get the chips out.

mg8.jpg

Cut your extension piece and then drill for the head assembly bolt.

mg9.jpg

mga.jpg

mgb.jpg

Counter sink the shaft holes so rivet can sit flush. Put a bolt/rivet in the hole so nothing moves during the top section assembly.

mgc.jpg

Make sure your head assembly is lined up with your motor unit and add a bit of sealer just before you give it the last tap.

mgd.jpg

mge.jpg

Now drill the top section to your coupling...again making sure the wires are out of the way...and again turn upside down to get the chips out. Counter sink those holes as well.

mgf.jpg

Reconnect your wires with some good Marr connectors and replace the head cover

mgg.jpg

mgh.jpg

Just wild..wonder how long before it snaps in half ! Now that I've surely voided my warrantee!

mgi.jpg

mgj.jpg

The only thing I failed to show was the rivets I used to join it. I tried setting some solid 3/16 rivets but all they would do is bend inside instead of forming a shop head. So I used some blind countersunk pull rivets instead. All mandrel holes and the old head bolt hole were sealed.

I've already ordered some Ram Mount parts, yesterday, so I can brace it to the hand rail when stowed

Edited by irishfield

Good job Wayne, it should work out well.

I was in there today with my 55pd Wireless I purchased last year.

It was acting up all weekend, while up in Kirkland Lake.

Brian took the prop off and opened up the housing unit and there was water in there :wallbash:

No idea why, as there isn't a mark on the skag, never hit anything....now I need all new parts in there.. :whistling:

Wow, what the heck is everyone else using on there big boats ? I though 60" was long enough for most boats, she must sit pretty high.

great job though but I don't think a dummy could do that :lol: . Ya the warranty void sucks, I had to take mine back to Brian once already (same motor), the circuit board went crazy and had to put a new one in, but he said not to mess with it cause of the void, it works like new again but I'm glad I had the warranty. But what can you do, they didn't have what you needed.

The ram mount will work good, and the shaft doesn't bend to much in the water cause the springs in the housing let it rock back and forth, so you'll be ok, just don't hit to many rocks. :D

Over the years I have been patiently awaiting a view of your shop there Wayne.

I'm sure that was just a glimpse but still quite impressive.....I am curious though, is the hangar part of the same structure/work shop.

I for one would like to see an over all shot of this operation you call a place of work.

Now.........

theres no pics left for me to ask you of except ones with the odd lunge being released.

Nice job again Wayne..hope it works well for you for years to come and then to heck with the warranty.

-pete

Nice, can you extend my shaft?..................

Good work, too bad LUND didn't think of that when they designed the boat. Anyways, one less worry for your new baby. I think within a month or so, that boat of yours will be totally awesome and a heck of a lot of fun.

Maybe...you should have just built your own boat and everything? :lol:

Seriously, what's next? Re-programming your Sonar?

You certainly do have a way with fixing/modifying things.

Your new nickname is Tool Whisperer

Tony

Edited by tonyb

Over the years I have been patiently awaiting a view of your shop there Wayne.

I'm sure that was just a glimpse but still quite impressive.....I am curious though, is the hangar part of the same structure/work shop.

I for one would like to see an over all shot of this operation you call a place of work.

-pete

Peter...now that I've looked at the pics a few times I realize what a dang mess my shop is. Guess I need to clean it up....in oh say November, as for now... I'm goin fishin!

Shop is seperate from the hangar. Cuts on total loss from when I screw up with the torch...

If anyone else finds themselves in this situation...I have a couple feet of the composite shaft left over.

And Tonyb...I've been workin on a name for the boat. That one might give the ladies the wrong idea....

Kicking "ONE FOOT 'EYE TEASE" around right now......