My old Maple tree just let go in the past 4 days NF

davey buoy

First time in 17 years this has happened. My CX 7 is covered from hood to windshield,to top of vehicle.This i so thick that you really can't see out at all.Heard some talk today that the sap is like glue and will strip your paint?.It is like glue.Is there a solution that will take it off the paint?,Windshield as well,but not to worried about that,thinking muti purpose cleaner may work on the glass.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Dave.

First time in 17 years this has happened. My CX 7 is covered from hood to windshield,to top of vehicle.This i so thick that you really can't see out at all.Heard some talk today that the sap is like glue and will strip your paint?.It is like glue.Is there a solution that will take it off the paint?,Windshield as well,but not to worried about that,thinking muti purpose cleaner may work on the glass.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Dave.

Goo Gone!

Claybar, or if you can go to a dealership and see if they have any "all Sol" it's a light solvent that is diluted with water and worked great for me when I used to detail cars

http://www.carbrite.com/products/Exterior-Care/Cleaners/Degreasers-Solvents/Solvents-Adhesive-Removers/All-Sol/

Actually looking over the site they have a tree sap remover as well, though I think most dealerships don't stock it, all Sol is the standard

http://www.carbrite.com/products/Exterior-Care/Cleaners/Specialty-Exterior-Cleaners/Tree-Sap-Remover/Sap-Remover/

Edited by Lucas F

Not on the paint?,you sure?.This is my job tomorrow.

I have used it for bird crap, tar and sap before and have not had a problem. I have never let it soak over night or anything just sprayed on and let sit for maybe a minute or so and cleaned off.

We have Maples here and the sap got on my wife's like new Altima. On just a few spot not everywhere like you describe Davey. WD 40 did the job, only do a small area at a time. It didn't harm the paint at all, great to get oil paint off of anything including hands. I missed a few spots on the hood and it took the clear coat and paint off down to the aluminum, You need to get it off asap but I would call my insurance guy tomorrow and report it. If you do anything before calling them they may give you a hard time if it indeed needs to be cleaned professionally. They should have someone on call because not all accidents happen during business hours.

In fact I would call them right now. A call doesn't cost a penny, sort of, they already have your money.

We have Maples here and the sap got on my wife's like new Altima. On just a few spot not everywhere like you describe Davey. WD 40 did the job, only do a small area at a time. It didn't harm the paint at all, great to get oil paint off of anything including hands. I missed a few spots on the hood and it took the clear coat and paint off down to the aluminum, You need to get it off asap but I would call my insurance guy tomorrow and report it. If you do anything before calling them they may give you a hard time if it indeed needs to be cleaned professionally. They should have someone on call because not all accidents happen during business hours.

In fact I would call them righ t now. A call doesn't cost a penny, sort of, they already have your money.

Thanks JD,but I'm that guy who does not want to tell the insurance company unless I have to.Looks like a few good ideas here.I'll tinker tomorrow and see how that goes.If worse comes to worse,I will make that call. I have a feeling very warm water,and a little soap and I light scrubbing may do it. A mist of WD 40 may not hurt either?

Never heard of or seen maple sap damage clearcoat or paint. Pine or spruce, that is another matter. Pine will pucker up the clearcoat after a few days (think turpentine) so you have to get that off pretty fast. The best I have found to remove pine sap is Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid. Will not hurt the clearcoat.

If it is only maple sap a nice hand wash should remove it.

Burt :)

Canadian Tire sells "Bug & Tar Remover" by Turtle wax, the stuff does a good job on removing all sorts of grime, including tree sap even oil base stuff, and is safe on all paints and clear coats.

Edited by stonefish