old/antique lures

kickingfrog

My buddy just bought a few hundred old lures and brought them over for me to look at. I took a few photos of the ones I liked, or remembered from my dad's tackle box.

IMAG1871_zpspt0zttko.jpg

IMAG1872_zpsxadxf9mt.jpg

IMAG1873_zpsureb8y6m.jpg

IMAG1874_zpstabzimkv.jpg

He might be selling some of them so if this is your thing let me know and I'll post some others or put you in touch with him.

Sorry about the photos going missing, It should be fixed now.

Edited by kickingfrog

I looked at antique lures yesterday at the tackle swap meet in Hamilton. I was interested in pricing as I bought a cardboard box full to the brim last year. Some of those look like original Heddon. I was surprised they didn't bring more money than they were asking. From 5 bucks to 10 or 15 for older and larger spoons, spinners and wooden baits, and those in original boxes up to $75.00.

Nice collection of antique gems there Rob.

I can remember many many years ago using the Flatfish when they came with 3 & 4 trebles on it. A real fish grabber but a royal pain in the butt when those 4 trebles tangled with another Flatfish in the box LOL

A great old bait that's stood the test of time.

That is a beautiful lure! Not sure id fish it but I would put that on a knecklace for sure

Was thinking the same thing .

Nice collection your friend scooped up there Rob.

I see a few creek chubs.

Is that a cisco kid in the 2-3 pic?

He wouldn't take any money for the ones I liked, just said I owed him a fishing trip next time he visits.

IMAG1876_zpsbgjj7kzf.jpg

My dad had a few just like these and I recognize the Diamond Jim (3rd one down on the left) and the 2 flatfish on top but I'm not sure of the names of the others and they don't have any markings so chime in with ideas if you have them.

And this:

IMAG1875_zpsgjs2qhat.jpg

It's metal but 3 dimensional. Other spoons were made from what looks like mother of pearl.

Ask him if he would sell that. Mah boy wants it for a knecklace lol

Cool bunch of lures he scooped up.

Last year my dad called me and said he found my grandpas tackle box and he wanted me to have it.

I was so excited and filled with anticipation lol. After all when he passed all I wanted was his retirement watch and his beer bottle collection.

So I get it, open it and it has like 600 hooks in it and the most toxic looking bug dope ever hahahaha. Judging by his old pictures he sure hammered the walleye on just a hook and minnow!

It's true that sometimes the box the lure is in is worth a lot more than the bait itself !!!! Some can be worth several hundred dollars !!!! I sold some antique lures back about 25yrs ago from my uncles tackle from the 1920-30 era and a handmade leather & tin tackle box and the guy came from Ottawa and said some will be worth a lot of money !!!!! I needed the money in a bad way and knew I was only getting a fraction of what they were worth !!! And he payed me $500 to this day I feel really bad about it and wonder how much was really there ??? :(( I don't want to know ........ There was about 30 or so baits and about half were in boxes !!!!!! I'm pretty sure the tackle box alone was worth the 500 at least ..... And some of the boxes the baits were in were wooden as well and they were hand painted back then too . Oh well had to do it. !!! Thanks for sharing the pics of those lures !!! Keep them and check some might be worth some money :))

It's true that sometimes the box the lure is in is worth a lot more than the bait itself !!!! Some can be worth several hundred dollars !!!! I sold some antique lures back about 25yrs ago from my uncles tackle from the 1920-30 era and a handmade leather & tin tackle box and the guy came from Ottawa and said some will be worth a lot of money !!!!! I needed the money in a bad way and knew I was only getting a fraction of what they were worth !!! And he payed me $500 to this day I feel really bad about it and wonder how much was really there ??? :(( I don't want to know ........ There was about 30 or so baits and about half were in boxes !!!!!! I'm pretty sure the tackle box alone was worth the 500 at least ..... And some of the boxes the baits were in were wooden as well and they were hand painted back then too . Oh well had to do it. !!! Thanks for sharing the pics of those lures !!! Keep them and check some might be worth some money :))

That silver minnow may not be a functional lure. I recall having one very similar given to me by a hearing impaired individual as a gift for a donation. That would be the early 80's. It was really a keychain. If you look at the belly there are 5 eyes to hold hooks. That's strange. It is neat though.

I like stuff like this.

Lures are worth more than rods/ reels and the original box is a huge plus.

I inherited a bunch of old reels, more than pictured here

IMG_01891_zps7w9twjvn.jpg

IMG_01901_zpsnnxtuxim.jpg

I bought a book that appraised old reels. I was surprised that a cool, very old reel was worth $15 US, Hahaha. I'll just keep them and pass them down.

Rods and reels are like antique golf clubs. Antique golf balls are worth huge money just like lures compared to rods and reels, not many rods and reels get lost, the same as golf clubs. However golf balls are like lures, lost everyday. I should have known that when I bought a set of clubs and bag from the 30's and we hit all the antique balls into the lake. I don't even want to guess how much those feather balls go for, probably a few thousand bucks hit into the lake, and the bottle of Cognac only cost 50 that caused the whole thing to happen. Man!!!!