Will be less weeds again this year?

captpierre

I'm on Nipissing and we had the same last year. Weeds were down and no one could find the fish! This year will be very similar. Last year the ice went out around April 1 and this year will be the same if not later. This will affect the fishing for sure but if you know where to look you can find them.

Well I would think so as the ice thickness is more than it was last winter as we had the coldest febuary and less snow cover in many areas so I guess it would depend on where you are in the province ?? But in the kawarthas I would say yes and in Haliburton on some lakes I fish the weeds took a serious hit and they were very late Comming up and were killed off earlier as well from cold water !!! We were accualy discussing it with the MNR back in the fall in Haliburton as well so I guess we will find out !!! Less weeds makes some baby fry way more vulnerable to predators and less food !!!! It goes on & on !!!! Time will tell

Less ice on sturgeon this year than last though its still completly froze so really untill break up hard to say weeds will be late for sure but so will the spawn.

last year side imaging helped me find some weed beds that helped me limit out early instead of burning fuel all day looking

The weeds were thick enough in the lower end of Pigeon Lake last summer.

Aren't the weeds always thick on Lower Pigeon?

I know the musky were in different locations on Pigeon last year, but once we located them they seemed to be much bigger.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

Hopefully the spawn and recruitment are good this year but I have a feeling these last 2 years aren't good and we will notice it down the road.

I think the walleye will be on fire again for the first 2 or 3 weeks though this year. Just me and my crystal ball's guestimate.

Predicting a softwater fishing season here in Ontario. Complete with lakes, fish and yes... probably some weeds here or there in those lakes and on or around some fish.

Just noticed "citiot" above Chris's avatar and lost any train of thought. Just giggling about it now. Gotta get a coffee.