ideal rod for trolling leadcore for lakers?and early season tactics discussion

123chadder

what do you guys think of this rod for my penn line counter reel?

8'6" med heavy
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkl....html#start=10

i also bought this reel...http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000...ilpage_o00_s00

and am thinking of pairing it with....http://www.berkley-fishing.com/Berkl....html#start=12

7' medium heavy

any thoughts?

also,what tactics do you use to get deeper,any other advise?

We just use 6 1/2 foot Medium Heavy Berkley Lighting Rods with a Garcia 5500LC spooled with 30lb Power Pro.

Early in the season around here, we troll at moderate speed with line weights and a heavy spoon.

Later in the season, to go deeper, we troll faster using Dipsy Divers or Pink Ladies with a 3 to 4 foot leader and a spoon. Had great luck with #3 Lucky Strike Canoes in Pearl.

Early season tactic? Don't use leadcore for one thing. I like flatlining smaller gangtrolls with your favorite flutter spoon 2-3 feet back. On a lake im unfamiliar with I will just troll the shoreline until I find what I'm looking for, which is usually boulder flats in 15-30 fow. Last summer we never saw surface temps over 70 so nothing heavier than a 3 oz bottom bouncer was necessary, but that can get me down 40+ feet slow trolling with braid. Lot more fun catching 2 pound Lakers on a light casting outfit and a small weight than a telephone pole with 10 tons of cable on it lol

im bringing leadcore,planer board,dipsey diver,jet divers,slide diver lite bite,downrigger,inline keel weights and snap weights so ill be prepared for anything

i have a medium light combo,ultra light combo,will have my lead core trolling combo,7' med heavybait cast combo and a 6'6" med casting combo...

plan to work shorelines and big water where 70-90 feet comes up to 15-25 feet and work those shelves,and where i mark baitfish,plan on jigging a lot too....

i think im just going to run 4-5 colours on my penn with 250 yards of 17 pound mono for backing..

ive never run planer boards or lead core so its going to be a learning experience for sure!but a fun one!

i went last year as well,this is the same trout lake that mike borger did a report on last year,met him on the dock...nice guy

so far this is just a plan,and plans can change.

i looked at the rods suggested,but for travel i need a 2 piece rod.

Edited by 123chadder

also,we will be about 2+ weeks from ice out so fish will be a tad deeper i imagine

I like 2+ weeks after ice out for flat lining. The first week after ice out they seem scattered all over the water column and I end up jigging my winter spots in 70 FOW for marginal results.

Last year, the May 24 weekend was prime for flat lining lakers in Haliburton.

What area are you headed to?

Edited by chris.brock

In dec and jan this year did well trolling reef runners and taildancers on leads from 40-180ft on planers on the larry. Averaged about 8 lbs or so and most action between 15-35ft trolling between 1.5 and 3 mph Haven't tried that area after ice out but will be this year! Don't see too much need for lead core or weights early season but you never know. If you know they are in the area it's just figuring out depth and speed.

Edited by Consigliere

I spend a lot of time on the water from May till October chasing lake trout and I can tell you from experience that this early in the

season there is no need for a lead core setup . The magic water temperature for lake trout is around 50 - 55 degrees so find that

and you will have all the lakers you need . Where you are going I would imagine the surface water temp. wouldn't be much more

then the preferred water temp. for the lake trout , putting them in the top 20 feet of water . Like Bill said , if you can you should be

going out from the boat at this time of year with planner boards instead of deep or a long line . If you want to go deep there are some

better options for this time of year and that being a 1 oz inline weight ( will get a spoon to 30-40ft on a troll ) or something like a deep

taildancer from rapala (20-25ft) That is plenty deep enough when the surface temp. is in the 55-58 degree range. Another thing to

remember is lake trout are not the smartest fish to swim but have great eyesight and feed up so they will chase your lure from 30

feet down no problem when aggressive and water clarity is good . One of my favorite patterns for early in the year is to head to the

northern part of the lake and fish the bays and sheltered areas first . Reason for this is that this area warms up first and brings life

to that part of the lake starting the cycle and of course the lake trout are on the top of this cycle feeding on all this new life . If you hit

it right this pattern can produce big time . We actually stumbled on this situation by accident on a lake we fish and it produces year in

and year out . Good luck , looks like its going to be a great time :good:

I like 2+ weeks after ice out for flat lining. The first week after ice out they seem scattered all over the water column and I end up jigging my winter spots in 70 FOW for marginal results.

Last year, the May 24 weekend was prime for flat lining lakers in Haliburton.

What area are you headed to?

Not to hijack the thread. But Chris what would be your best guess for ice-out in Haliburton this year? Specifically Kash Lake.

Early season tactic? Don't use leadcore for one thing. I like flatlining smaller gangtrolls with your favorite flutter spoon 2-3 feet back. On a lake im unfamiliar with I will just troll the shoreline until I find what I'm looking for, which is usually boulder flats in 15-30 fow. Last summer we never saw surface temps over 70 so nothing heavier than a 3 oz bottom bouncer was necessary, but that can get me down 40+ feet slow trolling with braid. Lot more fun catching 2 pound Lakers on a light casting outfit and a small weight than a telephone pole with 10 tons of cable on it lol

Well I fished the very same lake in early June last year (remember it a late ice out) that he'll be fishing this year. We caught lots of fish flatlining but caught just as many trolling leadcore. The fish are not always deep in the spring especially on bright bluebird days.

I use leadcore almost exclusively with big gang trolls. A long rod helps a lot, not only to spread lines apart and help the fight, but to aid in netting fish if you are fishing alone.

One more thing, 28lb line goes deeper than the 45lb due to it's narrower profile. The strength of the line is in the braid, not the lead core.

Cheers

I prefer to flatline them too. More fun, and just as effective that time of year. Diving cranks work great once you have the depth dialed in. I catch a lot of lakers on taildancers......TD7 and TD9's are my go to. They cover 10-20ft good depending how much line you let out. No weight required.

S.

I spend a lot of time on the water from May till October chasing lake trout and I can tell you from experience that this early in the

season there is no need for a lead core setup . The magic water temperature for lake trout is around 50 - 55 degrees so find that

and you will have all the lakers you need . Where you are going I would imagine the surface water temp. wouldn't be much more

then the preferred water temp. for the lake trout , putting them in the top 20 feet of water . Like Bill said , if you can you should be

going out from the boat at this time of year with planner boards instead of deep or a long line . If you want to go deep there are some

better options for this time of year and that being a 1 oz inline weight ( will get a spoon to 30-40ft on a troll ) or something like a deep

taildancer from rapala (20-25ft) That is plenty deep enough when the surface temp. is in the 55-58 degree range. Another thing to

remember is lake trout are not the smartest fish to swim but have great eyesight and feed up so they will chase your lure from 30

feet down no problem when aggressive and water clarity is good . One of my favorite patterns for early in the year is to head to the

northern part of the lake and fish the bays and sheltered areas first . Reason for this is that this area warms up first and brings life

to that part of the lake starting the cycle and of course the lake trout are on the top of this cycle feeding on all this new life . If you hit

it right this pattern can produce big time . We actually stumbled on this situation by accident on a lake we fish and it produces year in

and year out . Good luck , looks like its going to be a great time :good:

great info,but wouldnt the south end of the lake warm up first?i know in gardening its better to plant in south facing areas....

i will be using planer boards

I"d bet surface temps will be right around the right temp then. Your graph will tell you that. If not, it will only be a few feet down to find the colder water. That time of year, fish are looking for warmer water.....where in summer, they're looking for colder water. Your thinking backwards. If you have a portable graph that tells temp, sometimes you can just drop the transducer down a few feet and see the change in temp.

The north shore of a lake gets the most sun, therefore warms up earlier than the south shore, which is shaded.

Edited by Sinker