Horseradish

Big Cliff

Ok for anyone that wants some, I have some horseradish root and tops you can have. If you have never grown it, it is like crab grass, one small piece and you will have a patch of it in no time. Now I like my horseradish, it is simple to make and you can make it as hot as you like!

Recipe is simple: Some horseradish root (I peel mine but I would imagine the commercial guys just wash it) a bit of water and a food processor to make a slury. Water root, some sugar to cut the sour, some salt to taste and when it is hot enough, vinegar to stop the enzimes.

Now the one problem I haven't been able to solve yet is that it looses heat very quickly after it is made. (if anyone knows the answer, please share.)What you couldn't eat last week is mild today.

I am thinking I might try more vinegar to preserve the heat but if you are growing it, you just make it whenever you want!

Email me: [email protected] and we'll get some to you!

OMG! Great subject!

Horseradish that tries to lift the top of your head off, and makes the eyes water is the best!

The Keg has had the best I've ever had. They will give you a small container of it to go, if you ask.

I will have to plant some this year. Any recipe you can share would be appreciated!

My favourite beef meal is a nice filet mignon.

But the second is prime rib au jus, with horseradish and roasted potatoes and veg.

I sure hope this thread provides an answer to the question by Big Cliff

The Keg has had the best I've ever had.

I'm a huge fan of roast beef with horseradish and while The Keg puts on some fine grub, I find their horseradish just waaaay too hot for me but I still manage to work my way through it LOL

Anyone use the creamy horseradish, same texture as mayonnaise ??

My MIL used to buy it and it was far hotter than the stuff you get served at The Keg.

Darned stuff would blow the top off a steam engine.

Edited by lew

Got a brand name to look for?

Dennigers in the hamilton area has the best selection of Horseradish I've found, but nothing worthy of note.

Unfortunately no, the MIL's been gone quite awhile and I can't remember the name but your friends at Dennigers should know what I'm talking about.

I've got a few plants. Mine have about 3' tops but don't seem to spread. When I ask the the "more mature ladies " on the market what to do with it they all say the same thing "leave it in the ground and buy it in a jar". I might dig it up, chop it up and plant it in with the potatoes, see if it will keep the bugs out.

Sent you a email cliff, thanks for the offer!

G

Got it and your name is on the list as soon as the ground thaws enough to dig it.

I've got a few plants. Mine have about 3' tops but don't seem to spread. When I ask the the "more mature ladies " on the market what to do with it they all say the same thing "leave it in the ground and buy it in a jar". I might dig it up, chop it up and plant it in with the potatoes, see if it will keep the bugs out.

Just dig some up, cut the root into pieces and replant the pieces, it's just likje crab grass, a small piece of root will grow a new plant in no time.

Here is a recipe I found through the link that Ralph posted that is very similar to the one I have been using but I have only been using about1/4 cup of the vinegar and I just use white, not white wine vinegar. I am going to try adding the extra vinegar on the next batch and see if that helps to preserve the heat better.

Ingredients

Nutrition

Yields4cupsUnitsUS

Directions

1. Finely shred the horseradish root. It may make your eyes water like onions do!
  2. Add remaining ingredients to bowl and mix well.
  3. Funnel into clean 1/2 pint jars and cover with caps.
  4. Will keep in refrigerator for one year.

Hi Cliff,

I have been making my own horseradish for years and my recipe is very simple, over the years I have found that vinegar is actually not what you want, it reduces the heat over time.

Instead, I peel and then soak the root in cold water for at least 2 to 3 hours, this is very important as it produces more juice in the root and actually makes the darn thing even hotter, once you grind it up after your eyes stop watering, the only thing that I add is 3 or 4 apples that I also grind up that creates the natural acidity to preserve but does not water it down.

This will hold the heat and also not change the flavour.

I just last week was in a Chef Gordon Ramsey restaurant, and had fantastic Dejon mustard with horseradish in it, it had great heat and a fantastic flavour, cant wait to try and create my own version.

The creamy horseradish that I have found to be very good is the President Choice one, for commercial store bought this stuff is great and saves you a lot of crying time by not having to grind the root yourself.

FLEX

Anyone use the creamy horseradish, same texture as mayonnaise ??

My MIL used to buy it and it was far hotter than the stuff you get served at The Keg.

Darned stuff would blow the top off a steam engine.

I have this in my fridge at home. First time I used it I spread it on like mayo.......= bad idea! This stuff is extremely gnarly. Once I got the ratio down it is amazing on sandwiches. My wife also uses it as a rub before the prime rib goes into the oven :)

To keep the "heat" in horseradish; try vacuum sealing the stuff. "Foodsaver" make containers for use with their machines. If you can keep the the air from getting at it, it will slow the fermentation process; that causes the chemicals in the root to break down and evaporate, changing its flavor/heat.

Dan.