Shopping for a new baitcaster, finally

Old Ironmaker

Have used my Shimano Bantam for about 30 plus years and have a Quantum that bit the bisquit after only 10 years. It's time to dig deep and cough up. It will be a Shimano. As all my spinning reels are Shimano and that brand has never, ever failed on me. I was set up with a Currado when I went out with Dan Columby last October and loved it. Smoothest cast and retrieve I have ever used in a baitcaster. I do not use a baitcaster much as I fish 99% of the time for Smallmouth on Erie and longlining here as well. And zero backlash that day, not a one and I'm no pro on a baitcaster.

It will be used for smallies and Northerns and Largemouth on my annual upper NY state trip. My budget is $200.00 CDN taxes in. My old one has paid for itself in over 30 years. I see the Currado 1 for $179.00 at Cabellas.

Feel free to advise please. As long as it's a Shimano.

Curado, if not then Citica. Good solid reels. If you can find a slightly used Core , then snap it up. The last used Core I bought cost me $215 shipped and cores are some of the nicest reels I've ever fished, even nicer when I put some boca bearings in, which I eventually do with all my casting reels. Can't go wrong with a curado or a citica though!

just a heads up, my local Canadian tire had curado's on clearance....not sure which models as I didn't look too closely but noticed all the red flags in the glass case, maybe worth checking out

It wouldn't be the I as they are a new release, probably the Curado G. Stay far away from that though... not worth the money by a long shot!

edited.

Edited by mattaw

So it seems I am choosing the right stuff. Curado I it is, now to find a deal.

Thanks all,

JD

I hate to say Bass Pro, but they have the reel trade in promo on right now, so if you can make it in with an old baitcaster or reel, you'd save a penny on it...

Hope that helps!

I've heard good things about the "I" as well.

The "E" was a good one.

The "G" was a failure.

The "D" was the best one to date.

The old "B" Super Free was quite good as well....retro Curado, lol.

You are correct. I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out. I hate to have shared misinformation!