It happened in a split second! Updated!

Big Cliff

Here is a little tip if you dont want to wait in emergency for 27 hours.

If its serious, in this case it is. Call 911 for an ambulance.

If you arrive in an ambulance you will be treated promptly.

Of course, only do this if its serious as to not abuse the resources

If you're waiting in emergency for 27hrs, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place :)

If you're waiting in emergency for 27hrs, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place :)

Bill. I was there with an injury I was being very sarcastic about?

A typical wait time here, even for serious issues, is 4 hours.

5-7 hours is not uncommon

Edited by manitoubass2

Bill. I was there with an injury I was being very sarcastic about

A few years back my wife had to be picked up by an ambulance, she couldn't stand or come down the stairs. At the hospital at 8:30 pm she wasn't seen until 4 am. I Tried to let the EMs guys go but they can't leave until the patient is with a Dr. Pumped her full of Demerol and gave her a funnel to pee in. Kidney stones they say and home we go.

Two weks later emergency surgery to remove her uterus because of a large lump.

These two people had nothing to do but wait with me, they did get a good list of eating establishment in Woodbridge.

A few years back my wife had to be picked up by an ambulance, she couldn't stand or come down the stairs. At the hospital at 8:30 pm she wasn't seen until 4 am. I Tried to let the EMs guys go but they can't leave until the patient is with a Dr. Pumped her full of Demerol and gave her a funnel to pee in. Kidney stones they say and home we go.

Two weks later emergency surgery to remove her uterus because of a large lump.

These two people had nothing to do but wait with me, they did get a good list of eating establishment in Woodbridge.

Whoa man thats gnarly and sorry to hear.

I guess things are a lil different here?

Are you in a city?

It is sad that sometimes people that really need attention do have to wait in emergency to get seen. I actually went to the walk-in clinic first and waited there for about 40 minutes before seeing a Dr.. About three minutes later he told me to go to emerge NOW!.

While I was waiting I saw many people that really didn't need to be there insisting that they needed to see a Dr.. Kids that were cranky but didn't have a feaver, a guy with an in-grown toe nail that hurt and he wanted it fixed NOW!

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for being sure especially with children. My daughter had meningitis when she was about 2 If we hadn't taken her in when we did and if that Dr. hadn't picked up on it when he did my daughter would probably not be alive today.

Bill. I was there with an injury I was being very sarcastic about

I guess it really does depend on where you are. I was in/out of Orillia in probably 45mins when I put a hook through my finger last summer. Back fishing by about 10am! :)

I guess it really does depend on where you are. I was in/out of Orillia in probably 45mins when I put a hook through my finger last summer. Back fishing by about 10am! :)

Haha thats awesome bill! Still kinda sad though.

Where im at now there isnt even a wait, seriously. Walk in and your seen within minutes.

Edited by manitoubass2

Whoa man thats gnarly and sorry to hear.

I guess things are a lil different here?

Are you in a city?

We live in YorK Region (Woodbridge/Kelinburg. Our closest in York is at YorK Cenral or Markham Stoufville.Quite the hike. If an ambulance is called you are taken to York-Finch or Humber the closest to the residence.

We are in line for a Hopsital at 400 and Major Mac across from Wonderland but that will take years to build. :(

We live in YorK Region (Woodbridge/Kelinburg. Our closest in York is at YorK Cenral or Markham Stoufville.Quite the hike. If an ambulance is called you are taken to York-Finch or Humber the closest to the residence.

We are in line for a Hopsital at 400 and Major Mac across from Wonderland but that will take years to build. :(

Man. I usually have open eyes but this time I did not realize how much this topic varies, and within province.

Geez

Down here in Haldimand we have 2 small hospitals for 45,000 residence and are only 45 minutes by ambulance to the major facilities in Hamilton. You see a triage nurse and she determines the spot you are put in to see a Doctor based on your symptoms. I have been lucky enough to be seen almost immediately, or is that unlucky? Same as my wife at 03:00. All 3 times in the last 10 years were ambulance calls. Everything is fine now, knock on my wooden head.

Lakefield, north of Peterboro, now has a walk-in clinic basically for non residents or locals without a family doctor who need attention but it also handles mini-emergencies for anyone which will help take some of the strain off the hospital emergency room.

My wife had a problem back in November after some major surgery and our family doctors office was closed but the clinic took her immediately and got her all fixed up.

Not sure but I think these clinics are opening across the province.

The one in Lindsay is excellent too Lew and they do work well. You get sick on a Friday and try to call your Dr. only to find out that you can't even talk to anyone until Monday to see about getting an appointment, what do you do?

When I was a kid growing up the local Dr. lived right in town. Didn't matter what day of the week or what time of the day; you needed a Dr. he/she was there!

Now the only alternative is to go to emergency but these clinics seem to fill the gap. I think they are a wonderful thing!

last experience with emerg, the g/f was doing arts and crafts with her daycare students, was using a hot glue gun, and the felt with hot glue dropped onto her hand. 3 fingers blistered up and she was sitting in emerg in ajax for 6 hours!

While 6 people with chest pains were being treated for what might have been heart attacks/strokes/or other life threating conditions.

I understand the frustration and I don't want to minimize your g/f's pain or suffering but you are hurting, it is sore, but is it life threatning?

That is why I am very reluctaint to go to emergency, if I take up some Dr.s time and someone else dies how serious were my needs?

While 6 people with chest pains were being treated for what might have been heart attacks/strokes/or other life threating conditions.

I understand the frustration and I don't want to minimize your g/f's pain or suffering but you are hurting, it is sore, but is it life threatning?

That is why I am very reluctaint to go to emergency, if I take up some Dr.s time and someone else dies how serious were my needs?

Good thinking, Big Guy! Even with a bumped head your thinking is quite clear! :thumbsup_anim:

my point is, i guess, maybe the triage nurse could have said put polysporin on it when she checked in, rather than wait the 6 hours for the doctor to do it

my point is, i guess, maybe the triage nurse could have said put polysporin on it when she checked in, rather than wait the 6 hours for the doctor to do it

And there my friend is where the problem lies in today's society. The triage nurse tells someone to go home and do whatever, there is an infection, who do you think is going to get sewed? It will be the nurse and the hospital!

Gone are the days of "good intentions".

It is sad that sometimes people that really need attention do have to wait in emergency to get seen.

This is my pet peeve and why there are long waits. If people would go to a walk in or their GP (if they have one) when they get the sniffles or cough, things would run better. Also why they triage people in ER, worse case scenario, you keep getting bumped as the more serious start rolling in.

And don't feel guilty about your ER visit Cliff as concussion/head trauma is something you don't want to dismiss. You got cleared and that peace of mind is worth a tonne of gold.

We are in a 'underserviced' area which means that if you don't have a doctor, you go on a waiting list to get one and you take whoever they give you within your LHIN. If you are lucky enough to have a family doctor, you cannot change doctors. We used to be able to go to a walk-in clinic if necessary which eased the stress on the ER's but a few years ago that changed and now you cannot go to a clinic unless your family doctor is a 'member' of that clinic. I really don't understand the logic of this but the government says it was to ensure 'continuity of service' (i.e. you see the same doctor as much as possible).

So, I was sick last January and I called the family doc who said he could see me in May. I told him that I was sick now and couldn't wait for four months and he told me my only option was to go to emergency. I went to the ER, saw a doc who sent me for an ultrasound which they in turn sent to my family doctor for him to follow up on and treat the blood clot in my leg....I'm still waiting without even a phone call returned (good thing thrombosis isn't serious). It eventually went away on its own thankfully. I actually haven't seen my doctor since 2006 and doubt I ever will again since the only time you can is if you're healthy enough to wait for his schedule to open up. My 'continuity of service' is kind of messed up under this new plan.

This system is supposed to be the best in the world but it sure ain't working for me... I guess the point of my long winded post is that people like Cliff or others who are in need of care shouldn't feel guilty or awkward going to get looked at. The emergency rooms are stuffed with people, some who really need help, some who should be getting help elsewhere, and some who just want a hug and kleenex while others don't go because of the long waits or the fear that they're being a burden. How many people die at home of heart attacks for just this reason? Our system is broken and all the money that is being spent doesn't seem to get to where it needs to be.

Edited by G.mech

Geez this needs a whole new thread.

After I tore my hamstring in half, I was told by my family doc I had badly sprained my knee???

Well at the time I was studying to be a nutritional consultant practitioner and knew something was very wrong( black and blue from hip to foot and foot literally fused to my a** lol)

I wasnt 100% sure what was wrong but I knew it was either my hamstring or I had badly torn a muscle, and would require surgery.

My doc said no, so I fired him. It took one month to get another doctor and by then my leg has fused, maybe 10% mobility.

As soon as I seen my new doc he said oh my you need surgery asap! Lol no crap.

So all being said and done, after surgery that injury took two years of insane physio to recover from. Im talking full time job physio, as it had now effected my hip and lower back.

What a pita