Late intro, $30 fish camera testing while perching on Cooks

reelingMachine

Hi,
Waited for a better chance to introduce myself with a good report, but nothing special has been on my list recently. Live in south Etobicoke, started fishing about 3 years ago. Mostly targeted species I have never caught before. In the last 12 months got my first (and only) Muskie , Walleye, Steelhead and earlier Atlantic salmon. Brook trout and Splake would be next in the line, and definitely Tiger Muskie :) Bought a boat last spring, black Legend ultralite-12 with 2.5HP Mercury (you know, environmentally friendly)
$30 camera
Knew that a fish camera is not better than a fish finder, but still wanted to see what is going on there when you see fish on fish finder but nothing bites. After I looked at the prices I decided to check if I could buy a monitor and some camera separately and assemble. Fortunately there is a huge selection of rear view cameras and monitors for cars on ebay. Bought them for $31 (10 for the camera and 21 for the monitor). The camera came with a 6m long cable that has an extra wire to suply power. It is waterproof but I still put extra glue with a glue gun around the hole where the cable gets in. Plus sprayed a few times with leak sealant (having the lense protected with a tape).
Perhaps should have bought a camera without parking lines :) Tried this Sunday on Cooks' clear water and got relatively good pictures.
The report
Had to make a lot of holes before we found the spot. Were surprised with the number of decent size perch against dinks, took about 25 between two of us. Perhaps threw back 10-15 dinks only. Keswick side, 1.5 km from shore, 18 feet deep, ice around 1 foot, live bait, from 8am to 12pm.

camera.jpg

perch.jpg

perch1.jpg

picture.jpg

Edited by reelingMachine

As I had started to type, before my response disappeared................. :angry:

That is INGENIOUS!!! If you have time to start a thread about how, exactly, a person could replicate your rig, that would be FABULOUS!!!!! I have been wanting an underwater camera for ages but the price has always put me off. Thirty or forty bucks I can handle! :canadian:

Doug

More ducktape! Welcome aboard. Let us persuade you to join a fishing team for the OFC 2015 tournament. The fish you catch will help a team greatly.

That camera kicks ass. I made one just like it, but without the lines. The image is actually reversed (like you are actually backing up as seen in the mirror). Can you turn off the infra-red lights?

Hi,

I am glad to see some of you guys wanna try to make it.

I did not make photos of the process. So I've tried to show how I connected cables using Photoshop. The camera and the monitor came with a power cable each. I cut them short and soldered their red wires with the red wire of the RCA video cable.

I bent the sides of the mount plate of the camera towards each other that the holes are aligned and put it on a 1/4x1/4" steel bar. Painted the bar with a permanent marker. Use more tape to hold connectors between the RCA cable and the camera together (if you are not going to cut off connectors and solder wires neatly) as if it becomes loose, your camera will stay on the bottom.

camera1.jpg

powerCable.jpg

Schema.jpg

cameraMount.jpg

Edited by reelingMachine

More ducktape! Welcome aboard. Let us persuade you to join a fishing team for the OFC 2015 tournament. The fish you catch will help a team greatly.

That camera kicks ass. I made one just like it, but without the lines. The image is actually reversed (like you are actually backing up as seen in the mirror). Can you turn off the infra-red lights?

Thanks for inviting Sleepjigging,

I'll read about OFC 2015 tournament to see if can be of some help.

My camera does not have infra-red lights, but, yes, the picture is mirrored so chasing fish is a bit tricky :)

I still have the same opinion as my above post - AWESOME! Welcome to the OFC zoo! Do you have to seal (waterproof) the rca plugs? I'll be working on this project soon. No time right now - I "have" to go fishing today & tomorrow. I'm heading to Caseys huts in Port Bolster! WOO HOO!!

I still have the same opinion as my above post - AWESOME! Welcome to the OFC zoo! Do you have to seal (waterproof) the rca plugs? I'll be working on this project soon. No time right now - I "have" to go fishing today & tomorrow. I'm heading to Caseys huts in Port Bolster! WOO HOO!!

I did. Taped RCA, taped power. Put both together and taped again. Sprayed with leak sealant few times including the piece down to the camera where both cables get in. It gets almost hot when the camera is on, perhaps there are some resistors in it.