cooking thread...

Hahaha, no was butcher involved. All I did was buy boneless pork chops and pounded them to smithereens with my pounding mallet (also good for the frustrations of life ;))

Then I added salt and pepper (not much), the prosciutto and then shredded the cheese and added that (I used three different kinds of cheese, an old cheddar,a cheddar with infused red wine and a marble). Rolled it up and put a toothpick in each.

Then I made a cream/milk/egg/flour mixture and for the crust I put ground up plain chips and bread crumbs and added a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. I dipped in the egg mixture, rolled in the crumbs and then just fried in olive oil and butter in a cast iron pan until done.

While it was cooking, I mixed Keen's hot mustard, some Dijon mustard, some mayo, some sour cream, a bit of white wine and lemon juice and mixed well for the mustard sauce.

Served with green beans and scalloped potatoes.

Delish.

Yesterdays dinner.

5 lbs of beef back ribs.

zpXaAPd.jpg

Out of the smoker after 90 minutes of apple wood flavouring.
Inspired by Manitoubass2's post a few days back I made a sauce for the ribs to finish them off in the slow cooker.

Started the sauce with a can of apple juice, 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 peeled and cored apples, 2 peeled and cored pears, 1 diced onion,
1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup ketchup, teaspoon garlic powder and some fresh ground black pepper. Simmered to reduce volume for 3 hours then pureed it with an immersion blender. Placed the hot smoked ribs into a preheated slow cooker and poured the sauce over top.

hXhjCzO.jpg

DR6qosV.jpg

ZR0TvDe.jpg

Dinner for one.

The ribs were pretty amazing. I'd definitely do it again with the remaining 5 lbs. Only thing I'd change is to cut in half the amount of cider vinegar or remove it entirely. Plenty of acidity from the fresh fruit I used in the sauce. Or add more brown sugar though I think that would be the wrong direction to take. Oddly enough I started with a 1/2 cup of cider vinegar but thought it not tart enough, oh well.

HT0AgP4.jpg

Had me a tasty simple treat last night. Starts with a good dollop of butter, 2 chopped cloves of garlic in a hot pan. Then stir in 1/2 cup diced bacon til it starts browning . Lastly add 1/2 qt well washed fiddleheads. Oh soooo good!

Had me a tasty simple treat last night. Starts with a good dollop of butter, 2 chopped cloves of garlic in a hot pan. Then stir in 1/2 cup diced bacon til it starts browning . Lastly add 1/2 qt well washed fiddleheads. Oh soooo good!

Fresh fiddleheads Bruce or were these some frozen ones?

What kind of mushroom is that?

My guess would be Shiitake , right time of the year and they do like hardwood logs (oak if I'm not mistaken).

Sauted with a little butter, add a very light cream sauce infused with a bit of red wine and served on a blue rib eye steak. Oh I love food!

Joey, I would trim the fat off those chops. Also, consider also adding some roasted peppers to that "rollie". They look great!

When I use chops for this type of thing, I usually butterfly them, then beat the crap out of them. Be sure to use saran wrap when you are beating them as it helps to stop them from sticking to the mallet and creating dead spots.

Also, try Panko crumbs for a crunchier coating. (Although your looks pretty crispy to me!)

Spiel, those ribs look fantastic!!!!!!

HH

Edit to add... why not add an asparagus spear or two to that rollie!

Edited by Headhunter

Thanks Joe, yes, I used Saran wrap when pounding, learned that along time ago when I started making Chicken Cordon Bleu.

Asparagus and/or red pepper would also go well with it. It was my first try so I'll play with it, but it was darned good as it was :)

I still love your asparagus/prosciutto recipe, do it all the time :)

My guess would be Shiitake , right time of the year and they do like hardwood logs (oak if I'm not mistaken).

Sauted with a little butter, add a very light cream sauce infused with a bit of red wine and served on a blue rib eye steak. Oh I love food!

Great, I'll being the shrooms. Oak it is. I have oyster Ina maple log but nothing yet :(

This thread as produced a lot of great recipes of different variety of foods from different cultures and not all fish.

Maybe put them in a category in the classifieds. just a thought.

I learned how to make great ribs from Garrit and still do them his way :)

Wow, I'm surprised there are still fresh ones available. All the places I get them are way past harvesting already.

Seen some that were packaged at the local store Cliff. NO THANKS.

I missed my fresh picking this year. Too much going on.

Added note, just picked up a new BBQ. I will be adding some scrumpish delights soon enough.

Lots of good eats posted.

Hahaha, no was butcher involved. All I did was buy boneless pork chops and pounded them to smithereens with my pounding mallet (also good for the frustrations of life ;))

Then I added salt and pepper (not much), the prosciutto and then shredded the cheese and added that (I used three different kinds of cheese, an old cheddar,a cheddar with infused red wine and a marble). Rolled it up and put a toothpick in each.

Then I made a cream/milk/egg/flour mixture and for the crust I put ground up plain chips and bread crumbs and added a bit of garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. I dipped in the egg mixture, rolled in the crumbs and then just fried in olive oil and butter in a cast iron pan until done.

While it was cooking, I mixed Keen's hot mustard, some Dijon mustard, some mayo, some sour cream, a bit of white wine and lemon juice and mixed well for the mustard sauce.

Served with green beans and scalloped potatoes.

Delish.

This one I have to try sound sooooooooooo good